Author Topic: Hooray for "Trafficator" Issues!  (Read 1418 times)

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
on: October 05, 2011, 02:37:51 am
Hey all, Just wondering if any of y'all have run into the issue that I am having.  My right hand side turn signals are functioning, but the left side aren't.  I believe that its not a grounding issue at the signals themselves since the last time I had a grounding issue at the signals themselves the indicator would come on steady along with the instrument panel indicator. Now neither the indicator on the instrument cluster nor the turn signals illuminate.

Figured I'd ask before I start tearing into things!

JP
Ton Up!

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 02:58:19 am
my hunch - probably the handle bar switch unit

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 03:28:24 am
Thats one of the things I was thing too
Ton Up!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:24:35 am

Because the whole left side signal plus the speedometer indicator light are not working it is likely that the wire from the selector switch to the left side lights is unplugged or, as you suggest, the "left" switch contact is defective.
The wiring diagrams leave a lot to be desired but I think the Left turn signal hot wire is Black/White while the Right turn signal hot wire is Black/Green.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 07:06:00 pm
it seems incredibly simple but i had the same problem a while back. My dealer told me they are making these things so fast that often the connectors  to the signals aren't seated properly. They're plugged together but not to the pount that they click and lock. Sure enough, the connector I looked at and thought was good to go, was pressed together but not all the way. Pushed it firmly together and no problems since

monkey

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 04:51:42 am
Sorry for the late response, was at Disneyland for a few days.

Not sure if it's the same issue or not, but I had a problem where my left turn signal would not function if the engine was running. Turned out to be a faulty speedo that was shorting the turn signal when the headlight or speedo were lit up (read: whenever the engine was running).

If checking your connectors doesn't fix it, you might want to have your dealer check into the integrity of the speedo as well.

Good luck!