Author Topic: advice please  (Read 4988 times)

Merrill

• Bulleteer
on: March 27, 2008, 02:41:00 am
Have recently become interested in an Enfield.
/
I don't mind the dated technology, (own a Ural side
car rig) get along with it just fine.
/
am trying to decide between
the standard bullet or the AVL
lean burn motor.  Any advice
or opinions would be appreciated.
/
thanks, Merrill

LJRead

Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 06:20:39 am
The general consensus seems to lean toward the AVL in terms of overall reliability.  Pete Snidal, who wrote a popular manual on R Emsaid that with the AVL, R E seems to have gotten it right.  It has a lot of the features you would pay extra for to bring the older iron Bullet up to date, which saves quite a bit of time and money.  I have one AVL, a 350 cc from India, and find it great.  I have another one on its way.  I bought them because I live far from parts and trained mechanics, figuring they might be more trouble free - time will tell. 

Some don't like the styling of the imported AVL bikes up to now, but with the introduction of a more classic styling this year, that may be the way to go. Styling and reliability.

But there is the tradition of the older technology and older engines, that some prefer.  There is an Indian correspondent on the forum (Indian48) who has both a 500 cc Machismo AVL and now, a 350 cc iron engined one ( with classic styling) and he seems to prefer the iron one.   I think if you read further in the various contributions to the forum, you will find what you need to know.  Very good luck to you and welcome to the world of R E!

Regards, Larry

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 04:23:15 pm
Can't add anything to what LJR said; but I will emphasize that the new Classic styling *with* the AVL engine is likely to be the best of both worlds for many people.

Matt

deejay

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 05:45:26 pm
The general consensus seems to lean toward the AVL in terms of overall reliability. 

I wouldn't bet on that, there's not nearly as many of them around for people to complain about. Right now there are 2 threads over on the Yahoo group about total bottom end failures on AVL bikes. The Classic Iron Barrel is a workhorse with history to prove it.

My point is, if you're looking for bad experiences with ANYTHING, the internet is the right place to look. We need to look at history to get real perspective.

bwilson17

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 05:59:21 pm
I've got a '06 AVL with over 11,000 - No problems yet - went from Florida to Texas and back no problems.

deejay

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 06:08:37 pm
I've got a '06 AVL with over 11,000 - No problems yet - went from Florida to Texas and back no problems.

My point exactly, as long as we realize that there's classic engine stories like that too.

LJRead

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 08:05:22 pm
A lot of this has to do with attitude.  If we accept what we have as being "good enough", and then take a positive attitude to overcome any problems that will likely come up with any piece of machinery, we will be a lot happier.  I read the recent thread on the other, Yahoo site, and when the lower end went out, the guy got so discouraged he plans to leave the bike as it is and ride something else.  He says he had a breakdown with the bike when it first left the dealer's with only a few km on it, yet he doesn't say what the problem was (the bottom end didn't go out until later), which seems like an attempt to black wash R E in general.  There are likely to be teething problems with any complex machine. Getting down on it isn't going to help. 

I would be happy with an iron R E, and just get on with it; I am happy with the AVL I have - not perfect but "good enough". 

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 12:12:40 am
 I'm keeping a positive attitude about my 2007 Classic iron-engined Bullet. Its a fun ride.Gets great gas mileage.Looks fantastic, and makes me ride with a smile. I see some here with like 20,000 + miles without any major problem. Thats what I'm hoping for too. I won't flog this bike, but will keep it on seciondary roads and enjoy the scenery. I have read about some lower end bearing problems, and I would be discouraged if mine went out too.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 02:41:42 am
I would buy one of the last ironhead motored bikes that Kevin scarfed up for us. The end of an era. You might as well own a legend, with 50+ years of parts available.  Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 07:58:01 am
Seems like a good plan Hutch!!!!  ;)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 05:43:40 pm
I had a real hard time making that decision. The old classic is a proven design used all over the world. The AVL seems to be designed to carry on the old standard but with some modern conveniences, most of which I would have added to the classic over time at a rather high cost of money and man-hours. I chose the AVL because in my real world, I just don't have the time or money to buy something new and put a lot of work into it. Routine maintenance is a given with everything I own, but major modifications? No, I just don't have that kind of time anymore. Besides, having been a Harley guy in the pre-evolution days, I have begun to realize that riding is more fun than wrenching! ;)
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

michigandon

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 09:46:49 am
Just do like I did and get one of each!  ;D