Author Topic: Fireball #8, finally in the frame  (Read 3713 times)

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
on: September 30, 2011, 02:44:08 am
I finally received the last of the parts I have been waiting for and got the motor back into the frame. Still need to set up the ignition, clutch, primary, and exhaust but maybe I'll be out riding it this weekend....

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 03:28:11 pm
Nice ,I'm jealous looks like you've got a lot of room to work.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 03:34:52 pm
Keep us posted on the progress. Like that tail piece.    8)
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 03:46:22 pm
It will tend to run hot during the early stages of break-in, so keep the first several rides fairly short to avoid overheating. Like no more than about 10 minutes on the road at a time.
Be fairly brisk in accelerations and decelerations to help seat the rings. Do not idle the bike any longer than necessary. it wants load on it to break-in the rings.
Let it cool down well between runs.
It will probably blow more oil out the breather than you might expect in the early stages, but that will subside as the rings get better bedded-in over the first couple hundred miles.
I'd keep the trip lengths to under 50 miles until you get at least 250-300 miles on the bike.
Change the oil at about 100 miles for the initial oil change.

It is very tractable at lower rpms, and that is what you'll be experiencing most in this early part of break-in, because you won't be doing hi-revving yet.
But, when you do get over 4k rpm, it enters a different world, and it's pretty exhilarating.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 03:48:55 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 03:51:10 am
This just makes me want to Fireball mine....dang darn dang it  :P
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 05:05:51 am
That's great news RGT !!! Glad to hear it  8)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 12:38:55 pm
My shop gets a lot smaller when my wife gets home. But I won't complain as there is enough room for the 2 bikes, a bench, and my tools along side the cars. Thanks Ace I live in a hilly neighborhood so I can do lots of short bursts on and off throttle. Might settle for getting the exhaust done as I took my daughter for a long ride on the other bike and went to an airshow and right now the couch is feeling pretty good.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 12:42:18 pm
Yeah man, like Tom says, 4,000 rpm and BWAAAAAA!!!
Have fun!
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 02:45:19 pm
Looking Good, You will enjoy that machine!
:-})
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 05:16:49 pm
My shop gets a lot smaller when my wife gets home. But I won't complain as there is enough room for the 2 bikes, a bench, and my tools along side the cars. Thanks Ace I live in a hilly neighborhood so I can do lots of short bursts on and off throttle. Might settle for getting the exhaust done as I took my daughter for a long ride on the other bike and went to an airshow and right now the couch is feeling pretty good.

A hilly neighborhood road is great for the break-in process. That's very good.
You shouldn't hear any ping up the hills, if you have it timed right and have good octane fuel.

My first impressions when I broke-in a Fireball were that it felt quite strong and very smooth at the lower rpms.  The lower and lower-midrange rpms are amazingly nice and torquey, but they don't knock you over with the impression of super-power. Those rpm ranges are for dealing with traffic in town and general moderate speed riding when you want the bike to be torquey but relatively tame and controllable and well-behaved.
And it does that real well, which was part of the design goal.
You'll want to spend most of the early break-in at those ranges under 4000 rpm for a while. And you will be able to do most road riding needs with only the first 4000 rpms of the power range. It will be faster than any normal Bullet even with those rpm limitations. It mostly feels like a Bullet with alot of added torque at those ranges. And very smooth, with so little vibration that the mirrors are clear, and you can't believe that you're on a 500 single with this little amount of vibration. The smoothness is smoother than you are even imagining right now. It's smoother than some twins.

Then, after a few hundred miles as you begin to feel the bike getting comfortable with some spurts over 4000 rpm, and it seems to want to go, then you can begin to explore that range between 4000-5000 rpms. It is at these rpms that you'll really begin to feel what this Fireball can do. This is the part where you see 4000 rpm on the tach and keep the throttle on, and look up at the road starting to fly past, and then look down at the tach after about a second of time and it's already at 5000 rpm.
That 4000-5000 range is where you get the "surge" from the cams. Most people are quite shocked at just how fast it goes between 4000-5000 rpm. Usually they are thinking that this is as fast as they might ever want to go, or need to go.
But then after that, there's the 5000-6000 rpm rev range,which Chumma describes as "being in a hurricane". This is the part where you really can't even believe that the bike is still wanting to rev higher and give even more power, for another whole 1000 rpm until 6000. At first, you think maybe you shouldn't be going up that high, because it is ferociously loud and you are not used to revving that high in a Bullet. But it goes right up there like it was made to do it because, ... well,... it WAS made to do it.

So, if you want to be nice and practical and well-behaved with plenty of smooth torque, just stay under 4000 rpms, and you can do whatever you want to do very nicely, and you can even cruise up to 70mph without going any higher than 4000 rpm.
And if you want to be a wild-haired "Ton-Up" hooligan, just take it up thru the gears, shifting at  6000rpm in each gear, and before you know it you'll be hitting the ton, and it's a wild ride, let me tell you!
So, you get to choose how you want to ride it by how much throttle you give it, and where you decide to shift. It can go from mild to wild, anytime you want, and it is great at being both mild and wild.

I hate to sound bragadocious, but the Fireball is a really kick-ass bike. It's so good that it even scares me, how good it is at everything. It's more than I even thought it would be.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 05:30:40 pm by ace.cafe »

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 06:00:23 pm
Congrats to both the owner and the builder...another achievement!

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 11:00:58 pm
Cool!   I hope  you  will  film  it on a ride or something. Would love a nice sound bite ;D
  Gerry
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 03:40:15 am
Cool!   I hope  you  will  film  it on a ride or something. Would love a nice sound bite ;D
  Gerry

The sound on a video doesn't capture it at all. My bike (and Chumma's as well) sounds like a drum roll on a tympani. You should hear them together. It's glorious. ;D

2017 Triumph T120

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 05:40:02 am
I hate to sound bragadocious, but the Fireball is a really kick-ass bike. It's so good that it even scares me, how good it is at everything. It's more than I even thought it would be.

It's not bragging if you did it.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 05:48:18 am
The sound on a video doesn't capture it at all. My bike (and Chumma's as well) sounds like a drum roll on a tympani. You should hear them together. It's glorious. ;D

When we made the video out at Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn, you can hear me and Chuck saying "I can't believe how loud that is" as Chumma pulled away. Neither the good audio from my FlipCam nor our exclamations can possibly convey what happens to you from directly behind a straight megaphone exhaust with a Fireball at the mouthpiece. You're completely enwrapped in and overwhelmed by a sea of sound and made to realize just how tiny and vulnerable you are -- what the Romantics referred to as the sublime.

It would be like the climax of Beethoven's 9th, live, with the orchestra ringed around you.

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 02:21:20 pm
I got it finished today and it started up after just , of a  couple of kicks. I think the megaphone I have is way too baffled as this thing is so quiet, I only took it for a quick trip around the block, this is like a completely different bike but extremely mild mannered, I actually think it may be quieter than my 350, which was pretty minimally baffled if any.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 02:54:21 pm
Congratulations and welcome to the Fireball family. Now get out there and bed in those rings! ;D ;D ;D
Chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 04:59:13 pm
Congratulations!

Just do your proper ring-bedding break-in process, by loading up the rings with some fairly brisk throttle applications up to a midrange rpm, and then close the throttle to let the engine brake your speed down to a slow speed, and repeat. After 5-10 minutes of that. let it cool down, and do it some more later.
And then you can explore the further reaches of its capability after it gets bedded in..

This is a "Jekyll and Hyde" type of bike.
It is very mild mannered if you don't get on the throttle hard. That's part of the design.
If you give it hard throttle, and go up into the 4000-6000 rpm range, then the fangs come out.
It's just a display of the refinement of the design. It holds desireable attributes in all rpm ranges, and allows a wide variety of pleasurable and utilitarian use.
There aren't many bikes that can "do it all" like the Fireball can.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 05:09:25 pm by ace.cafe »

aleman

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 07:44:24 pm
Congratulations RGT!  Good to hear about another one on the road.  Best of luck with running in.  I would say Ace's descriptions of the 4K - 5K RPM and 5k - 6K RPM  performance pretty much covers it for me also(#002).  Your going to like it a lot.  Let us know how it goes.

aleman
FB 002

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 08:54:31 am
Bike continues to impress me I can cruise along so peacefully at what used to be the upper reaches of my 350 and grab the throttle and it squats down and pulls steadily away, an added benefit, thanks to H's european crank and steel rod is that my mirrors are useable throughout the rpm range. My conversion from grease to gear oil in the transmission seems to be working fine, only 130 miles on it so I may be jinxing myself, but it is nice to not have to park the bike on paper to deal with that coninuouse ooze I used to have making its way down my center stand or slung off the drive sprocket.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 04:03:34 pm
Great!
Things seem to be going along very well, Roger.
It's got all the right indications at the early stages.

The compression will continue to increase as you get further thru the break-in, and as it does, the torque will feel stronger.
Once you get past 250 miles, don't feel shy to occasionally push it a little harder than usual. It needs to have at least some exposure to higher revs, a little at a time, as you progress thru the process.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 11:49:34 pm
@RGT -

Congratulations for getting Fireball #8 !  
You will have a great bike - unlike any other factory produced Bullets.

The smoothness is smoother than you are even imagining right now. It's smoother than some twins.

Most people are quite shocked at just how fast it goes between 4000-5000 rpm. Usually they are thinking that this is as fast as they might ever want to go, or need to go.

But then after that, there's the 5000-6000 rpm rev range,which Chumma describes as "being in a hurricane". This is the part where you really can't even believe that the bike is still wanting to rev higher and give even more power, for another whole 1000 rpm until 6000. At first, you think maybe you shouldn't be going up that high, because it is ferociously loud and you are not used to revving that high in a Bullet. But it goes right up there like it was made to do it because, ... well,... it WAS made to do it.

I just want to express that ACE.CAFE is not bragging when he is writing to describe what an ACE Fireball RE really is !  Every word he writes, he writes very carefully and modestly.

Videos can only show somethings - not the whole thing - as Chuck D and Jdrouin have written.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:55:28 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5