Author Topic: adjusting rear shocks  (Read 18562 times)

aikischmid

• Scooter
on: September 30, 2011, 02:26:35 am
Please forgive my supreme noob-ness here.
In light of reading GSS's post about improving higher speed stability, particularly by lowering tire pressure (easy) and adjusting rear shocks to a lower setting (not so easy?!)
The owner's manual says to use an "8mm tommy bar". Should my new G5 have come with this tool? Where exactly do you put it - in one of the square-shaped indents on the grey piece? Anybody give this noob some more detailed instructions on how to adjust my rear shocks? (I searched singhg5's youtube channel, as well as my Pete Snidal's Bullet UCE manual... both to no avail)
And I definitely feel like this will help me, after a recent ride up to just over 55mph had me worried the bike was gonna slide right out from underneath me.
Any help is appreciated, as always!
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 03:01:37 am
This is pretty easy. Just wrap a thick cloth around the lower end of the shock to avoid scratches. Grip with a nice big plier and it will turn very easily. There was no Tommy bar in my kit either!

The Tommy bar is just a little steel rod that fits the 8 mm hole on the side of the shock and allows you to turn it. The wrench in the posts below is the right tool, but a large, angled plier also works well as it requires very little effort to turn these to a lower setting
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:37:49 pm by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:53:02 am
The proper tool for this job is an hook wrench, at best an adjustable one. Nice addition to your tool box, as it it also used to adjust the steering head bearing.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 03:32:35 pm
The tool looks something like these
http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle/Spanner%20Wrench

Many of the newer ones are for large mono-shocks and not suited to our bikes.  The bikes in Europe seem to have one in the tool kit from the factory, but not here in the states.  Not sure why not :(

If you can't find one at a local moto shop you can get this bicycle tool at most good shops for a low price:
http://www.parktool.com/product/crank-and-bottom-bracket-wrench-hcw-5

It works just fine.

Scott

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 03:58:26 pm
we sell the proper tool for around 10.00 .
mention the RE forum and u get free ground ship to the 48.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

perri

• Scooter
  • Italy
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 05:18:48 pm
                                       like this is perfect for bullet
c5 2009 italy

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 05:43:41 pm
we sell the proper tool for around 10.00 .
mention the RE forum and u get free ground ship to the 48.

Is that the one that fits in the toolkit?  I'd love to have one I could keep on the bike.

Scott

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 06:05:13 pm
They are about 5" long. Sized to fit most motorcycle tool kits.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 06:42:38 pm
And I definitely feel like this will help me, after a recent ride up to just over 55mph had me worried the bike was gonna slide right out from underneath me.

A G5 shouldn't have any great handling problems. If you feel like the rear end is sliding out from under you, it's more likely the tires.
However, if you think adjusting your shocks would be the answer, just below the notched ring is a notched ramp. The higher you go on the ramp, the more spring preload you have, rendering the shock a stiffer feeling. It will keep the bike from bottoming the suspension as easily, but offers a harsher ride. My dealer initially set mine at the second hardest position, which after riding the bike awhile, I felt was too hard. I backed off a notch to the center one and the bike had a much nicer ride. There has never a been a handling issue due to the shock setting AFAIK on the G5.
GSS's comments were intended for the C5, a totally different animal in the handling department.
I run 24F, 28R psi in my tires.
As for a tool to change the shock setting a pair of ChannelLocks and a rag will suffice. Unless you are doing a  of heavy loading and unloading of passengers or cargo, you will probably not find any real reason to ever change your shock setting after you set it where you want it, and even then you can do this at home, you won't really need a spanner in your tool bag. I can think of no situation in which I would change the chock setting on the road. Screwing with that tool box is a pain and not worth the effort for that kind of job IMHO. But then, I'm a minimalist when it comes to carrying excess weight on the bike. I really don't even know what's in the tool kit.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 07:27:44 pm
Tri750, thanks, that's what I was looking for.  I'll call you sometime soon to get one ordered.

Bare, yeah, really no reason to carry it with you unless you tend to pick up and drop of passenegers during long rides.  I generally set mine and leave them.  I only change them at the beginning of a ride when I'm adding luggage or a passeneger.  It will probably live in my tool box but it's nice to have the right tool and be able to take it with you if you want.

Scott

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:05:54 pm
I just use an Allen wrench that fits in the hole (I forget what size). Mine turn really easily, no problem.

Any kind of little bar that fits in the hole will work.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 08:26:03 pm
Hmmm...

G5 or C5?  I've never seen a hole in my shocks on the C5.  They might be different than the G5s.

Scott

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 10:12:28 pm
The rear shocks can be ajusted by hand downwards (softer ride),Bit harder upwards but can be done with perhaps rubber gloves on for a good grip,hand book for G5 says use tommy bar (in tool box to fit in hole of box spanner)but no hole in rear shocks!... I keep mine on G5DL at the softest setting which suits my 11stone body..
             BUT MAKE SURE BOTH BOTH SIDES ARE AT THE SAME SETTING...
                       John Hut
John Electra Deluxe Efi

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 10:48:04 pm
Bare, yeah, really no reason to carry it with you unless you tend to pick up and drop of passenegers during long rides.  I generally set mine and leave them.  I only change them at the beginning of a ride when I'm adding luggage or a passeneger.

Scott, yeah, actually I mentioned that, but deleted it in my first post because I didn't want to add any more confusion to the whole thing. I carry so few passengers or anythign else that I just never change them once they are set.
I used to go through the whole suspension thing when I was riding sport bikes, setting sags and compression and rebound rates, spring rates and preload. Nice to have something else to screw with now!

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 11:20:49 pm
Aiki:

I have a small shock wrench that fits in the RE tool bag.  It fits in the notches and makes it very easy to turn and adjust height.  REs rear shocks can be turned with hand with some effort.

The tool itself is not expensive, about $10, and most motorcycle dealers carry something like that. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5