Author Topic: A bit of noise  (Read 1434 times)

indoorwindmill

• Scooter
on: September 29, 2011, 12:49:25 am
I'll start this off with saying that I'm new both to Royal Enfield and motorcycles in general so this may be normal thing bikes do but I don't know.

My new G5 is making a bit of noise when running.  It's a very slight whirling noise that seems to be related to RPM speed as it does it both in gear and with the clutch in.  It started about a week ago after I hit the rev limiter for the first time.  I'm thinking it's the primary, would this make sense to anybody else?  I've searched for forum and while I can't find anything 100% on it seems likely to me.

Thanks

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 02:49:59 pm
How many kilometers? I didn't manage to hit the limiter in 15'kms! Are you aware that there is a running-in-procedure? You shouldn't rev her up so high before it ran at least 1000kms, or you'll be having even more clatter in the near future.
Some G5s do not have an automatic tensioner for the primary chain. In my case it made sounds after 14'kms and had to be adjusted manually. Very unlikely that this is the case with your ride. Generally the Bullet-soundtrack may differ considerably, so I wouldn't worry too much as long the sound isn't getting too loud.
Some sounds do have other sources, so check out if there are any loose nuts due to vibration. Thismay cause a rattle of the tank or other metal parts. Regards Maturin
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:52:29 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:10:58 pm
Mine whirs, too. Just a normal noise, AFAIK. It doesn't seem to have harmed anything. Running fine. My suspicion is the primary drive, but it hasn't caused me enough concern to worry about it. These engines are noisy. as they say, deal with it. Or do as I do, wear earplugs, then you can't hear all the rattles!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com