Author Topic: Indicator light blown.  (Read 1811 times)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
on: September 28, 2011, 11:30:39 pm
Coming into town, the indicator light in the speedo, stopped working. The indicators themselves work fine. I'm assuming that the bulb has blown. Just a query, how is the bulb accessed, from underneath the narcele or through the headlight? Any  one who can help?

Cheers  :)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:38:13 pm
Hocko:

Which indicator light ? Are you talking about background light in speedo or other indicator bulbs such as turn signal indicator bulb or neutral indicator bulb ?

My guess is your Turn Signal Indicator bulb is dead. To change that you do not need to open the headlight.  It does require some wiggling but can be done. Have a look at this video that shows how to install bulbs in speedometer as well as  additional LED lights.

The rubber sockets for these bulbs are push-pull type into the frame of speedo. You can just pull them by fingers from underneath the speedo. Just move the wires aside. Once the socket is out, the bulb needs to be pushed down and twisted anticlockwise to take it out. Bulbs have 2 pins at the base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMCSEraYCxM
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:05:31 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:04:32 am
Singhg5:

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I was looking for, it is the bulb in the speedo. It's not the first time I've put you excellent and informative videos to use and I'm sure not the last.

Cheers   ;)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 12:49:15 am
Singh ...

Did you put white LED's in the high beam/neutral/indicator sockets or did you use colored ones ?

How ere they at night. i have ordered some but am worried they may be too bright, especially the high beam one.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 06:43:55 pm
Singh ...

Did you put white LED's in the high beam/neutral/indicator sockets or did you use colored ones ?

How ere they at night. i have ordered some but am worried they may be too bright, especially the high beam one.

Glenn:

I did not change all the bulbs in speedometer because like you I do not want too bright lights all the time.  

I only changed 3 bulbs in speedometer. These were colored LED bulbs not white LED bulbs.

These were high beam indicator to Blue colored LED bulb, Neutral indicator to Green colored LED bulb, and turn signal indicator to Green LED bulb. These bulbs are mostly OFF during riding and only come on when turn signal is on or when in neutral or when high beam is on.  

I like them a lot because they are more visible during day time even in sunlight. On the few occasions when I rode at dark they were not glaring at me because mostly they are Off and the background speedometer light is still the warm soft golden glow of filament OEM bulb.

ALL other bulbs in speedometer and in MIL lights are OEM filament bulbs which have pleasant soft golden light.

PS - Two White LED bulbs were used in the pilot 'tiger' light sockets in the front of the motorcycle above the headlight.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:55:03 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

jmiller_2308

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:29:18 pm
What timing.  My LED bulbs arrived yesterday.  I started to do the replacement of the instrument lights but only had about 15 minutes.  That should have been long enough except for the life of me it seems nearly impossible to extract the pushing rubber.

I don't want to pull on the wires to extract the bulb but I can't manage to get fingers in there well enough to pull them out.  I tried sliding a flat blade screw driver under the lip and pulling down but that didn't seem to work well either.  Next approach is to try to get a pliers up there but I figure I need to be careful about not squishing the socket.

Any suggestions for pulling the bulb sockets out easier?

Jeff

jmiller_2308

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 08:16:02 pm
It turns out that on my 1999 Iron Barrel that the bracket holding the speedometer in was also pinching the rubber sockets.  I took off the speedometer drive, loosened the nut holding the bracket, and was then able to get the plugs out with only a minor amount of finger pain.

The LED indicators are AWESOME!  I can actually see my turn signal indicator and neutral lights in the sun!  I'm thinking the blue high beam indicator might annoy me at night and I might switch that back.

Jeff

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 05:37:14 am
Finally got around to throwing some LED bulbs in today. Definitely brighter.

I replaced the speedo illumination bulb as well and the color is actually OK.

There was one weird bit of british/indian electrickery going on though. When I put a LED bulb in place of the green indicator/trafficator dash light in the speedo it only flashed for right hand indicators. Both left and right indicators worked normally it was just the speedo bulb that failed to light when selecting left.

I swapped between LED and standard bulb three of four times and the LED consistently failed to light when selecting left and the standard bulb consistently worked.  Some random earth fault in the left circuit? who knows? :D It was no biggie I just put the standard bulb back.