Author Topic: Stuck speedo needle  (Read 2519 times)

jmoody01

• Neophyte
on: September 26, 2011, 03:55:19 am
Just got a new C5, put about 60 miles on it.  The speedo needle is stuck at around 40mph.  Funny thing is that the odometer is still rolling along fine.  Anyone else have this problem?  How did you resolve it? Thanks, Jim

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:55:13 am
Replace the speedo. If the odo works the speed is getting transmitted to the speedo via an operative speedo drive and cable . The speedo mechanism, which is separate from the odo is dead.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 05:02:21 am
Take your bike to your dealer and make use of its 2 year warranty.

A few taps with a small hammer might jar it loose but that won't guarantee that it won't happen again.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 05:53:55 pm
I've had the same thing happen, it was a loose speedo cable.  Check that both ends of the speedo cable are tightened and it never hurts to lube the inner piece.  Just undo the bottom. slide the inner part out, and smear grease on it as you put it back in.  Don't grease the top 8-10", that can end up getting grease inside the speedo itself.

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 03:53:26 pm
I also had to lube the speedo cable. Mine was bouncing around quite a bit at highway speeds. I removed the top and bottom nuts (its easy) and then sprayed in throttle cable lube till it spilled out the bottom. Buttoned it up and the problem has been gone for the last 500 miles. I dont think they lube them well from the factory.

I agree though with the other poster that it seems strange that your odometer still works but the speedo doesnt.. that would logically state to me that the problem is in the gears within the speedo housing that are broken.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:46:03 pm
I agree though with the other poster that it seems strange that your odometer still works but the speedo doesnt.. that would logically state to me that the problem is in the gears within the speedo housing that are broken.

The gear driven part of the speedo is the odo. the speedo is driven by a spinning magnet and the magnetic force turns the needle by electrical flux. The two parts are completely independent of each other in operation.You adjust the speedo reading by adjusting the gap between the magnet and the little horseshoe tabs that the spinning magnet pull around against some spring pressure.
The odo is entirely mechanical and nonadjustable. It is setup by the internal gearing and the gearing in the speedo drive.
The speedo needle failure is possibly indicative that the speedo needle is just stuck on its shaft. A tap on the case might release it. Otherwise, it has to be disassembled for repair.
If the cable were at fault, neither part would work, except in the case where the speedo is fluctuating, then that can generally be cured by lubing the cable and perhaps anchoring it down a little better
The obvious best solution for Jim is to get it replaced on warranty.
Bare
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 04:49:05 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

jmoody01

• Neophyte
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 03:46:46 am
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I did find the cable only finger tight at the spedo unit.  I loosened it and the needle dropped down then tightened it back up good with pliers.  Soon as I took off again, need went up to 40 - 50 range and stuck again.  Got about 60 miles on it this way.  Odometer still working fine!  I think I will take barenakd's advise and go the warrantee rout.  Jim