Author Topic: front brake  (Read 2952 times)

geoffbaker

on: March 26, 2008, 05:58:50 pm
I want to adjust, clean and check the front brake.

I've got the wheel off the bike. Is there an easy way to remove the cover plate? The big nut holding it on is so shallow I can't get a good grip with any of my wrenches...

Suggestions?

Thanks!

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 06:24:44 pm
Geoff -

I measured mine (30mm? don't recall exactly) and went to NAPA and purchased a deep socket for a air wrench... works great, but then I found my large adjustable crescent wrench works just as well...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

geoffbaker

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:15:44 pm
I've tried the crescent wrench and regular wrenches (1") and the thing is too shallow to get a grip. I'll have to get a deep socket. I'm sure once I free it, I'll be able to use a regular wrench afterwards... >:(

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:38:39 pm
I had mine apart last year. If I remember right one side will take a 1" and the other will
be a 1  1/16 "...  I used box end wrenches.
                             - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

geoffbaker

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 07:11:52 pm
Darn it,

Nothing, but NOTHING would get that nut off. I bought a 1 1/16 deep well socket and a 27 mm deep well, and neither worked. tried wd40, heating it with a torch, everything.

Option of last choice: I took a punch and a hammer, and sure enough I was able to drive it loose off the axle without too much damage. I hate when you have to resort to those kinds of tactics though. This was probably the first time in 8 years the nut had come off the bike...

I sanded out the conical well it sits in and sanded the conical side of the nut, added some moly grease and put it all back together.

Next time, it will come off easily, with regular tools.

PS; the brakes didn't look too bad!

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 07:57:07 pm
Geoff.

I just wanted to see what my front brake was like as the bike was five years old when I got it but had only done 367 miles in total!
That nut is a bu**er. Too shallow as you say. I gave up before I rounded it off and told myself to get a deep socket to suit. Must do that soon ish!
Brake settled OK once it was used so not desperate but still want to be able to do this job.
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

geoffbaker

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 08:22:11 pm
LSM,

Don't be afraid to use a hammer and punch!
I tried the deep well... then I tried an impact driver on the deep well... then heat... nothing worked until I carefully held a punch against the side of the nut, at a slight angle away from the center of the axle... and bang, she came loose.

Remember to add some moly when you put it back together so it doesn't lock up again!