Author Topic: New B5 Owner  (Read 1353 times)

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
on: September 25, 2011, 09:34:29 pm
Picked up a new B5 at Polaris West in Katy, Texas yesterday. What a trip! I've never ridden a motorcycle that felt like tis, or turned so easily. Maybe my Honda CB100 was similar, but it's been so long that I don't have any real memories of what it felt like. With the Bullet, I'm sitting way up high and just toss it into the turns. Aside from this bike, I've had two cruisers and a standard (Yamaha FZ1). The FZ1 sat up high, but the pegs were directly below rather than slightly forward. Most of the difference in feel is probably due to the narrow tires, I suppose. Love the engine, too; it seems so purposeful, executing those seemingly widely space strokes.

Anyway, I'll be around!

-Alan LaRue
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:37:20 pm
Congrats on the new B5!  Welcome to the forum.

You can adjust the footpegs to one of 3 positions. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:46:58 pm
Good to know... Thanks! I didn't see that in the owner's manual. Interesting thing about the bike is the vestigial light switch by the right handgrip. I suppose it works in some countries where the headlight isn't always on.

Mine has a non-locking gas cap. The manual says that's how they're delivered in California. Is this not the case, or did I somehow wind up with a California model?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 11:08:21 pm
Your headlight required a jumper wire to be added to the headlight/parking light circuit in order to meet DOE requirements for importation.

By removing this jumper from the two connectors and then connecting them together your headlight/parking light switch will work like it is supposed to.

To do this mod. you will have to remove the headlight.

The link I'm posting was made by Singhg5.
 The jumper wire you are looking to remove has WHITE ends plugged into RED connectors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQUNMKRix4

While your watching, you might want to "bookmark" the site because SinghG5 has made a number of excellent "how to" You-Tube video's that will tell you a lot about working on your UCE engined Royal Enfield. :)

After removing the jumper with the white ends, connect the two red connectors together.

My G5 has a non locking gas cap that screws onto the filler neck.
It is a California model.

If your bike is a California model it will also have a charcoal canister bolted to the lower down tube in front of the engine.  The canister has two rubber hoses connected to it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 11:10:38 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:16:26 pm
Congrats and welcome to the REal world  :D

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 12:08:45 am
Thanks, Jim, I'll check that out!