Author Topic: Electra Styling Flexibility  (Read 8442 times)

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 24, 2007, 04:40:49 pm
I'm currently preparing to get my motorcycle license and am seriously considering the Electra for its simplicity and efficiency. I'm satisfied that carburator and exhaust upgrades, plus a 19 tooth sprocket will improve the performance without sacrificing too many miles per gallon.

So what I'm wondering about is the extent to which an Electra can be made to look like a Classic. I *love* the red model but am not crazy about the shape and placement of the toolboxes or the look of the front fender.

Is it possible to fit Classic toolboxes to the Electra without their looking "forced"?

Is it possible to fit a Classic front fender, stays and all, over the disc brake?

If I bought a red Electra, could these parts be taken from a red 65? Same color?

Is the red Electra available with pin stripes on the tank, fenders, and toolboxes like the Classic models? If not, is there an easy and affordable way to have this done well?

Also, in my Web ramblings I've seen some RE touring tanks that are much larger, though similar in shape, to the stock 3.8 gallon tanks. Are these available for the Electra, and does anyone know what the retail price is and what it would cost to have it painted as described above?

Thanks for any info you might be able to offer. There isn't a dealer that's close enough to pester with these questions.

Jeff

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 06:09:51 pm
Jeff,

I faced the same dilemma about 3 months ago. I wanted the Electra X for the new AVL LB engine, but really preferred the looks of the Classic models over the "Classic 70's Styling" of the Electra X.

So what I'm wondering about is the extent to which an Electra can be made to look like a Classic. I *love* the red model but am not crazy about the shape and placement of the toolboxes or the look of the front fender.

I believe some light grinding and welding would be required. I think that those parts of the frame itself remain the same or close enough to the Classics that you could swap out the sidecovers and oval pods. However, you'd probably have to grind off old tabs and weld on new ones.

Even the custom kits retain the original pieces (so I assume it's no small thing to convert):
http://www.royal-enfield.com/bullet-electra.htm
and CMW's own vintage kit for the Electra X is a bit different than the Classic version.

Is it possible to fit Classic toolboxes to the Electra without their looking "forced"?
Probably, with great care and likely no small expense.

Is the red Electra available with pin stripes on the tank, fenders, and toolboxes like the Classic models? If not, is there an easy and affordable ...

I believe the Electra X tank is different than the Classics. Maybe someone else can confirm?
Gas tanks are never (at least in my experience) affordable  :'(

You can also see my Frankenstein bike where I tried to achieve the older-style look (with little success!):
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=22

Matt
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 06:12:15 pm by Thumper »

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 09:20:16 pm
What would it cost to get an older classic & make a lean burn out of it?

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:36:09 am
I'm currently preparing to get my motorcycle license and am seriously considering the Electra for its simplicity and efficiency. I'm satisfied that carburator and exhaust upgrades, plus a 19 tooth sprocket will improve the performance without sacrificing too many miles per gallon.

The 19 tooth sprocket will increase your gas milage.    Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 06:46:30 pm
Aha! I just found an Electra on the royalenfield Yahoo! group that has the old toolboxes, fenders with stays (chrome), as well as the old fork sleeves instead of rubber gaiters. It even has the 60s kneepads that I want to put on the red model.

You can join or log into the group (groups.yahoo.com) and go to the following link to see it (didn't want to post a pic of someone else's bike without permission).

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/royalenfield/photos/view/b49e?b=1&m=f&o=0

I've sent the owner a message to ask how it was done.

Can anyone from CMW / RE tell us whether it's possible to order fenders painted with the OEM colors? Do you do pinstriping too? I'd even consider putting 350 fenders on it if they're available in red.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 07:22:39 pm
Aha! I just found an Electra on the royalenfield Yahoo! group that has the old toolboxes, fenders with stays (chrome), as well as the old fork sleeves instead of rubber gaiters. It even has the 60s kneepads that I want to put on the red model.

You can join or log into the group (groups.yahoo.com) and go to the following link to see it (didn't want to post a pic of someone else's bike without permission).

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/royalenfield/photos/view/b49e?b=1&m=f&o=0

I've sent the owner a message to ask how it was done.

Can anyone from CMW / RE tell us whether it's possible to order fenders painted with the OEM colors? Do you do pinstriping too? I'd even consider putting 350 fenders on it if they're available in red.

Thanks,

Jeff

Looks like he put the AVL LB engine into a Classic frame. Note lack of rear-upper subframe (that is on the Electra X frames). Wierd though, he does have a disc brake in the front...

Let us know what you find out. I think it looks great!

Of course since he's running the same perf kit that I've got, I know it's running great!  ;)

Matt
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 07:28:09 pm by Thumper »

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 12:25:49 am
This is really a can of worms. If you wanted to you could put a V-8 in an Enfield and make it look like a Dodge Charger, but would it be worth it? To some the answer would be a resounding "yes" as some people just can't leave well enough alone and love big challenges. The work done to this bike is beyond extensive. If you are this ambitious more power to you. For the rest of us who prefer bolt-on type modifications there are some thing  you can do. The red 65 and the Electra red are the same colors. Fitting the Classic fenders is not straightforward because there are no mounting tabs on the fork legs. Things like getting rid of the gaiters in favor of the painted fork covers is fairly easy. Because the Electra doesn't have the rear sub frame that the Classic Bullet does fitting a Classic rear fender is pretty tough, and the same can be said of the tool boxes. Pinstriping can be done by the average person. We sell a pin striping kit that will do the trick for you. I know the family that makes these kits and they do in fact do exactly as advertised. I have used them myself and give them a big thumbs up. You can see it here: http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/beugler-custom-royal-enfield-pinstriping-p-7031.html
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 03:54:15 pm
Thanks so much for all the info, Kevin, and for finding that post on the Yahoo message board, Matt. The person I contacted about the modified Electra is the one whose post you found. What he did was pretty extensive indeed -- replacing the fork bottoms, modifying the frame, etc.

Maybe what I really want, then, is a red 65 with a performance kit and 350 fenders. I bet that would look spectacular with the English dual seat.

I wonder if there are any new 65s still available. These are questions for a dealer, at any rate. I'll be making the trip out to UK Motorsports on Long Island as soon as I get that license.

Jeff

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 04:55:55 pm
Jeff: Let us know when you're rollin'!  :)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 02:41:31 am
I have an Electra and I agree with you about the styling. I like the looks of the classic, but wanted the AVL motor. I found out that it is the seat that is the biggest offender. I installed the premium solo seat and pad (tan on a green bike) and it completely changed the appearence of the bike. I also installed the 19-tooth sprocket and performance kit. My milage didn't change. The higher gearing helps make up for the better fuel flow.