Author Topic: Gasgacinch  (Read 4254 times)

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
on: September 23, 2011, 01:19:00 am
It's been a little over 2 thousands miles since I did a top end decarb & ring check.
The bile has 13k on it now.  Head leakage was a problem from the start after just over 1500 miles or  so. I had tried another stock copper gasket and even the composite on another attempt. To no avail. After about 1000 miles the leaks returned w/o fail. This past attempt I worked the head on glass with valve lapping compound for about a half hour of steady work. Then I reassembled using Gasgacinch liquid gasket. It's like contact cement in that you apply and let dry to both mating surfaces and each side of the gasket. I retorqued after about 300 miles.
Whispering: No leaks so far.

I am going to do a bottom end this winter and hate to break it open since she is dry as a bone leak wise right now.  Hopefully the next reassembly will give me the same leak free results. I will not reuse the same gasket but just get a new one.
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:16:23 am

I've never used it on the oil joint of the head gasket just other places.

Thanks for the tip  8) 

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:12:24 pm
         Actually, silver or aluminum paint, or copper coat work better. A gasket leak on the left can be oil traveling up the left stud. The fix for that is to remove the stud, clean the threads, then loctite it in. The common leak around the push rod area is both a tolerance and an assembly issue. The tolerance issue is the spigot. They are normally too tall to allow the cylinder to fully compress the gasket. You need to dress the spigot with a mill file so  that the head's mating surface will sit within 1/2 the gasket thickness of the cylinder's mating surface. Test this without installing the gasket.  Don't take off too much. When you have the clearance set you can spray the gasket with one of my suggestions if you want. Not for the tricky part: Install the head, torque, in at least 3 stages, to spec, the WALK AWAY. Come back in an hour, torque again, then WALK AWAY. Come back tomorrow and torque again. Now you can proceed with the rest of the work.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:19:23 pm
I used to use Gasgacinch when I worked in the Triumph, BSA, Norton shop back in the '70. It worked quite well. Never was cursed by anyone because their engine leaked. My engines didn't either. Pretty good stuff.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Rockdodger

• Scooter
  • Magic Black Beauty
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 12:24:28 am
When mine was leaking at the head gasket (and just about everywhere else), it turned out to be improper oil tank ventilation. A number of good ideas were suggested by members of this forum. If you installed an aftermarket air filter or have any obstructions in or modifications to your breather system, this can be the problem.
2004 Bullet 65 Magic Black
1999 Honda XR 400R

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 04:51:06 am
Indian Head gasket shellac, Permatex No.1 and No.2 are still useful today.

The Nice thing about No.2 is that if any excess is squeezed out from between the parts and into the engines it will break down harmlessly in the oil with out blocking any passages.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 04:54:30 am
I guess it's just me but there is no way I would use Permatex on a head gasket.
Someday I might want to get that head back off of the cylinder and IMO even the non-hardening kind would make that just about impossible.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 05:22:02 am
The No.2 is more suited for use around the oil return passage portion of the head gasket rather than the compression seal.
  Copper paint is about the only sealant I've had success with on troublesome compression sealing surfaces.

The paint must be DRY before assembly or else disassembly may become a, ahh,,uhh, traumatic event.

Don't ask how I know this.

At the de coke I used a thin film of high temperature copper RTV around the oil return holes and no leaks yet.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:24:15 am by Ice »

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 02:30:38 pm
         Actually, silver or aluminum paint, or copper coat work better.

I had no luck w/ the paint.....
Since mine's not leaking there's nothing else better than the Gasgacinch in my book.

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
  • Credit Card? You got it.
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 08:09:05 pm
When I had the head off of my bike earlier this year, I painted the old gasket with some high-temp, sandable primer, then applied a THIN layer of copper RTV, very thin like I painted it on with my fingers, and I let it half-dry before reassembly.

I've done the same thing on automatic transmission and engine oil pan gaskets, and they always come apart later, and only sometimes do they tear the gasket.  But I use the RTV to put off buying a gasket in the first place, so on the second go-around I feel justified buying a new one.

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 10:15:48 pm
When mine was leaking at the head gasket (and just about everywhere else), it turned out to be improper oil tank ventilation. A number of good ideas were suggested by members of this forum. If you installed an aftermarket air filter or have any obstructions in or modifications to your breather system, this can be the problem.

I agree if you have a leak on a "properly installed" gasket with good mating surfaces then something more is going on.. :o...mostly over pressure in the crankcase and the oil is getting "blown out".  Gooping it up to stop a leak might just lead to more severe issues down the road. ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:23:38 pm by mikail gransee »
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 11:42:38 pm
Hi All:

My 04 bullet 65 has a leaking head gasket. It oozes some oil while I'm riding it, enough to allow 2 or 3 drops to blow off the barrel and stick to either tool box on the bikes sides. After a hundred or so miles I'll need to top up the tank with about a half cup of oil. Using the oil is not the problem, it's cleaning up the mess on the back of the bike, and getting it on clothing.

This Gasgacinch sounds like pretty good stuff that may work on the new gasket I've purchased from our hosts. I got the full thickness copper gasket rather than the thin one that ups the compression a bit. My bike has enough compression. I have the composite head gasket on right now. Good on compression, not good on being oil tight.

Soo-o-o where do I get some of this miracle stuff? I haven't spotted it in my local autoparts store.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 12:55:24 am
You could try the nearest NAPA

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 03:17:19 am
Oh, another good paint you can find everywhere - Rust-Oleum makes a paint in a can (and sprayable, but it costs a bit more) that's "stainless steel."  It's actual suspended metal in a carrier that evaporates as it dries.  I've painted gaskets with that and it both stops the leaks, and it looks cool (as it's a gunmetal grey when dry).  Try that, too.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 04:45:07 am
Good luck to you guys who are using Gasgacinch and similar sealers on your head gaskets.

I was taught that head gaskets should either be installed dry or with something with a very low adhesion strength like some paints.

I'm not saying that Gasgacinch won't seal some leak but getting the head off sometime in the future could be a real nightmare if this sealer is anything like Permatex.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 05:08:07 am
No worries mate, It's nothing at all like the Aviation Permatex,Indian Head gasket Shellac or Permatex #1( the brown hard setting stuff)

It's more like the pliable-non hardening Permatex #2( green) or perhaps Hylomar except it dries instead of staying gooey.

IMHO Gaskacinch is closer to rubber cement or silly putty in its pliability.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:22:01 am by Ice »

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 05:15:53 am
I'm not saying that Gasgacinch won't seal some leak but getting the head off sometime in the future could be a real nightmare if this sealer is anything like Permatex.

Nuthin' a BFH and 2 by 4 can't handle........   ;)

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 12:19:46 am
Nuthin' a BFH and 2 by 4 can't handle........   ;)

now yer talk'in....
big ole dead blo BFH...  yea, that's the ticket....
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 01:22:15 am
No worries mate, It's nothing at all like the Aviation Permatex,Indian Head gasket Shellac or Permatex #1( the brown hard setting stuff)

It's more like the pliable-non hardening Permatex #2( green) or perhaps Hylomar except it dries instead of staying gooey.

IMHO Gaskacinch is closer to rubber cement or silly putty in its pliability.

In addition, if you do a thin coating of ANY sealer with your fingers or a disposable paintbrush, then let them dry completely before installation, they still almost always work, and later you don't have to deal with them being glued on.