Author Topic: Said Goodbye to my C5  (Read 2616 times)

raycopper

• Scooter
on: September 18, 2011, 12:13:08 pm
Hi all,

Took the decision to part with my C5, traded against a new Transalp. Had the bike a few days over a year, completed 9500 miles, and rode it almost every day. Did a good trip over the Pyrenees & Alps and averaged over 75 mpg(imperial). Bike had started to feel very second hand lately, and opening the toolbox recently to find a rusty puddle in the bottom convinced me it was time it went. Have enjoyed reading everyones experiences in these forums :)

Here it is, at top of highest paved road in Europe, over 9000ft
2010 C5 - Red

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 12:56:36 pm
I think you took a good decision !! Though not many bikes come close to the character and aura of the RE C5, but then life moves on. And who knows when they come up with bigger, better bikes (as is in plan), you may again have a trist with the REs.....!!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 12:58:22 pm
Sorry to hear it Ray, although I understand .
Sounds like you had some good riding over the year. These bikes aren't at their happiest in a wet climate, they do rust with enthusiasm..... I'll be getting out the Hammerite to re-coat bits of the frame which have gone brown with rust.
I'm hanging onto my G5 as I love the ride, but it has been relegated to second bike - local fine weather hacking just for the pleasure of it.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 03:40:59 pm
No one keeps a motorcycle forever and it was time for yours to go. 

My C5 is not quite #2 status (yet) as it is better for slower cycle-therapy rides, like yesterday.  But now the starter or solenoid just thunks on the first start of the day. 

Have a great time on the Transalp!
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

rustygman

• Neophyte
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:29:45 pm
Wow, you must be a demanding owner if a rusty puddle in the toolbox sends you off to the Honda shop - I presume you had other problems over the year of ownership.

I am loitering on here to get some feedback on how good the efi models are. You say yours felt a bit second hand at 9500, can you give some more info on this, my iron barrel has done similar mileage and feels better than new - are the efi models a bit more disposable - I am considering one just for the higher cruising speed.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 05:37:17 pm
Personally I did not really start enjoying my RE until it felt 2nd or even 3rd hand..  Ehh, different strokes I guess..

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 06:11:35 pm
Took the decision to part with my C5, traded against a new Transalp. Had the bike a few days over a year, completed 9500 miles, and rode it almost every day.

Ray:  

Sorry to hear that you have parted with your C5. You took good care of it and it showed in the pictures. I will certainly miss your contributions to the Forum.

I understand that REs have their limits and other bikes offer features that RE does not. Best of luck with your new Honda Transalp and let us know how is it doing from time to time.

Regards, SinghG5.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 02:13:31 pm
Wow, you must be a demanding owner if a rusty puddle in the toolbox sends you off to the Honda shop - I presume you had other problems over the year of ownership.

Yeah, the rusty puddle was the final straw :) as Singh kindly said, I did like to keep it tidy, but there was always something to do

Ray
2010 C5 - Red

raycopper

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 02:14:50 pm
Ray:  

Sorry to hear that you have parted with your C5. You took good care of it and it showed in the pictures. I will certainly miss your contributions to the Forum.

I understand that REs have their limits and other bikes offer features that RE does not. Best of luck with your new Honda Transalp and let us know how is it doing from time to time.

Regards, SinghG5.

Thanks Singh :)

Regards,

Ray
2010 C5 - Red

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 11:35:11 pm
Yeah, the rusty puddle was the final straw :) as Singh kindly said, I did like to keep it tidy, but there was always something to doRay

Hi Ray
At a guess I would say that you have never owned a Meriden Bonneville!!!! ;D
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 12:52:32 am
I just soak my bike in ACF50 occasionally. No rust problem for me.