Author Topic: 7" Lucas Headlight Conversion?  (Read 7606 times)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 03:32:04 pm
The "W" clips are easiest to put on by hooking one end under the ring then the middle goes against the glass. Needlenose pliers to bend the other end under the rim. If you do it in your kitchen the springs will have less chance of escaping than from your garage. Some will get away but it only takes a few to hold the bulb.

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 04:49:00 pm
Yes, this is exactly the problem. I'll see if your guidance here can help me succeed! Anybody out there have a picture of the finished product - those W clips actually attaching the headlight to the rim?
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 05:27:50 pm
Alright - so apparently there USED to be a picture of how these looked attached, but it was deleted by admin, for some reason:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=1290.0
WHY?! Dear God why?! It's a beautiful day outside and I can't go riding because these stupid W clips make no sense to me.

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 05:45:00 pm
Holy crap I did it. Picture coming soon.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 06:13:24 pm
Well, better late than never.
W clips installation.
Now one must be sure they have genuine W clips as the ones I received weren't the genuine article and were a royal PITA to install. I removed them and bent the "W" section into them and they worked fine. I looked for some real ones at auto parts stores and couldn't find any. I ended up getting some from a BSA parts dealer in Wisconsin. Don't recall the name of it, but it Google nicely, even using W clips for Motorcycles. The previous post with the picture of clips are the proper bend although not necessarily with the last bend at the tip.

Bare
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:16:23 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 06:33:27 pm
if all else fails.....

میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 06:52:09 pm
So this is partially correct. The picture is how I attached it to the immediate circle frame, but later found out I couldn't slide on the other circle frame because the darn W clips were in the way. So basically, I did it exactly the way you see here, but I had to do it with both circle frames in place. It worked great.
Whether it's the "proper" way to do it or not, I don't know - but this method worked great for my application!
(Just hope I don't have to do it again anytime soon! My fingers are so sore from stretching those things out!)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 09:18:01 pm
You stick one end under the rim then use pliers to bend the other end under the rim. Saves fingers! They don't need to go under those raised doodads. Actually, those are just for aligning the lamp. Usually one of them will go under that two pronged gadget on the  rim to keep the lamp from rotating. It would be easier and you could probably turn the  W clips around the way they should go. Not that they won't work the way you have them
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 11:55:07 pm
Well they are backwards (see bare's photo for normal way they go on)  ... but if they work that way why not :D

My theory is never muck about with something that is working, so leave them that way and enjoy.

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 01:31:24 am
Yeah, believe me, for all I went through to get this new headlight installed, and to have it working properly... I'll just leave it be!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 01:33:51 am
Yeah, believe me, for all I went through to get this new headlight installed, and to have it working properly... I'll just leave it be!

Good going.  Done and working.

Did you find which wire of Lucas is which ?  How did you connect the Lucas wires to original OEM wiring harness ? 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 02:26:31 am
SinghG5,
I stripped the green/white/red Lucas wires and smashed some of those flat electrical adapters on the ends, which I just inserted into the old female parts (with the translucent green covers) of the original wiring harness. A little trial and error figured out which was which.
I just got back from a real long ride too, and nothing shorted or cut out or anything. When I'd stop behind cars at lights, I kept making sure the headlight was still on in the reflection of the car. Very happy - looks much cooler now, in my opinion!
Oh, and you might also be interested to know that I replaced both of those little pilot lights, since one had burned out.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 02:57:10 am
SinghG5,
Very happy - looks much cooler now, in my opinion!

Oh, and you might also be interested to know that I replaced both of those little pilot lights, since one had burned out.

Very glad to see that you have upgraded the headlight to 7".  Saw the picture you have posted in Photo Gallery.  It looks so much better, throws more light in front of bike, is more visible to traffic - better in every which way.  Happy riding  :).
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5