Author Topic: 7" Lucas Headlight Conversion?  (Read 7596 times)

aikischmid

• Scooter
on: September 16, 2011, 09:27:39 pm
Ok, so I looked through the parts/accessories and installation/usage threads and couldn't find an answer... so here I am!
Just got the 7" Lucas Headlight Conversion Kit in the mail today. I guess I was hoping for some kind of instructions with it. SinghG5 has a youtube video of taking off the old bulb, but I guess I need some instructions about putting the new 7" one in there. Anybody have any experience with this?
Thanks!
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:23:09 pm
Ok, so I just don't know what to do with the red, green, and white wires sticking out of my new bulb. I'll keep looking in the meantime...

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 11:58:13 pm
I didn't get the Lucas bulb since I had other 7 inchers laying around. I just got the rings. I got a real smart ass answer from CMW when I asked how it was supposed to mount. There was no adjustment mechanism and no instructions. How was I supposed to know you toss the adjusters? Anyway, your old bulb should have wires plugged into the back. Just connect the new one the same way, unless Lucas uses Whitworth plugs. ;)

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:44:04 pm
Okay, so here's a picture. I think I just need to figure out how to attach the green/white/red cables from my new light into that white plastic piece. But that means removing the old wires sticking out of the white plastic piece. Do they just yank out? Do I need to get a small tool to push them out from the other side, where the little copper pieces are showing? And then do I replace the little copper pieces onto the new green/white/red wires to reattach them into the white plastic piece?

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:50:25 pm
Same colors same wires - I may suggest you use quick splice connectors rather than cutting off the plug in case you switch to another bulb - I have 3 separate bulb retainers including the stock one and rather than cutting anything I used a 7" Sylvania halogen bulb and just put the whole thing into the ring from the minda set. Plug and play as I was having a hell of a time finding the small halogen bulb to use in the other set up.
Dr B

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 05:56:21 pm
I would use the flat blade connectors on the wires on the lamp and the female version on the headlight assy side. That way you will have almost universal connections for other lamps, particularly H4s. Just get rid of the original connector.
Unfortunately there are no adjustments available on the 7" lamp assemblies which s why they aren't DOT approved. Or, how does the US get stuck with the lousy lights.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 06:16:37 pm
Like I said in my other post (your other thread), just crimp some connectors (male) onto the bulb's wires and plug them into the female connectors. No need to mess with the bulb or the plastic plug. You are overthinking it, something I am rarely accused of.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 02:39:13 am
aikischmid

The headlight wires on your UCE are as follows:
Amber = ground
Blue = High beam
Green = Low beam

These show up nicely in bare's picture that he posted above.

The real problem now is to figure out which wire is what the red, green and white wires on your headlight are.  If I had to guess, the white would be ground but this needs to be verified.

The best way to do this is with a volt/ohm meter. (Having one of these is a good idea anyway what with all of the little gremlins that exist in an Enfields wiring harness).
I found a real cheap one at Harbor Freight.   I think it cost about $3.00.
I also bought a really good one at Sears for about $20.

If you have one, set it to read OHMs and touch its probes together.  The meter should read 0.000 (zero).  Be sure to check this to make sure the meter is working.

Now, touch one of the probes to the white wire and the other to the red wire.  If there is NO reading you will know that NEITHER of these wires are the common GROUND wire.

If you get a reading write the number down.  You also now know that ONE of the wires is the ground wire.

Now, touch the probes to the white and the green wire.
If you get a reading, write the number down.  You now also know that the white wire is common to both the high and low beam because it was connected to both of the other wires.  This reaffirms that the white wire is the ground wire.

If you get a reading with the white/green combination but you did NOT get a reading with the white/red combination that means the Green wire is the common GROUND wire and you must repeat the first test using the Red/ Green wires and write down the number.

After you have the numbers you can compare them.  They should be quite different.

The number (of ohms resistance) that is smaller is the HIGH beam.
The number that is larger is the LOW beam.

For example, let's say the white wire was the common Ground wire because it worked with both of the other wires to give a resistance reading.

Lets say the Green/White reading was 4.36 and the Red/White reading was 2.22.
The larger Green/White is the LOW beam and the smaller Red/White is the HIGH beam.

With this knowledge added to the harness wire colors the White wire would connect to the harness Amber wire.  The Green wire would connect to the harness Green wire and the Red wire would connect to the harness Blue wire.

This sorting out which wire is what can be done without an OHM/VOLT meter by using two wires connected to your bikes battery for power and then connecting them to the wire combination's I mentioned above but  you will visually have to try to figure out which combination gives the brighter light to know which wiring combinations are the High and Low beam.

Have fun. :)

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 02:59:06 am
Awesome - thanks for all the help! So electrically speaking, the new 7" Lucas bulb is all wired up and ready to go. The problem I'm experiencing now is anchoring it to the housing. My conversion kit came with six bronze clip-things. I'm assuming I need to use these clips to somehow anchor the headlight to the circular frame, so the headlight doesn't just sag in the housing. Does this make sense? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 03:13:56 am
The clips hold the headlight into the rim.

I haven't installed any of them but from my reading I see that they can be a real challenge to install.  It cannot be done without using some needle nose pliers.  Also, there is a chance of braking the light.

Hopefully someone who has done this will add to this topic and maybe have some good pictures of just how those clips fit to the housing and against the flange on the bulb.

They will only work if they are installed right.  Installed wrong and they don't product the force needed to hold the bulb.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 03:33:08 am
Wear safety glasses. You'll soon see why.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 04:22:48 am
I call those wire clip things "dammits"

One slip and TA-Winnngggggg, they fly off to wherever they go,, never to found.
 ( maybe to another dimension ? )

Dammit !!
No matter where you go, there, you are.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 04:52:47 am
Like Arizoni, if I were to guess I would think that the white wire on your Lucas may be negative (ground) - subject to verification.  

However, when I looked at your picture carefully the red and white wires go inside towards the two filaments of the bulb (high and low beam filaments) but green wire stays outside as if it makes contact with the surface of round metal base of bulb.  So it seems to me that green wire should be negative (ground) - though why would anyone use green wire for ground is hard to explain, may be some British wiring color coding system leftover. Ofcourse you should test it be connecting to battery and verifying if my reasoning is correct.

After I had posted the above, I remembered that for the Rear light on my G5 the ground wire is Green  :). I had used that when I installed LEDs as additional rear tail / brake lights for G5.  

In your picture, there is a connecting wire (with 3 turquoise female and 2 black connectors) next to bulb. I think that is used in pre-assembled 7" light where these 2 black connectors are used. Perhaps you do not need it.  

I also like Bare's idea to get 5/16 inch male blade connectors and attach them to red,white and green wires of your Lucas light. These male connectors will fit into the female turquoise OEM connectors that are in the harness (second photo) currently attached to your 5-3/4" lightbulb. Connect negative of Lucas light to negative of harness (amber), low beam wire of Lucas to Green wire of harness, high beam of Lucas to Blue wire of harness.

PS - Take some pictures of how you attach clips and post them when done in case I need to change my G5 to 7" headlight !
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:20:55 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 06:17:03 am
Singhg5
You may be right about the green wire being a ground wire.  Only some testing will tell for sure.

Green, by the way is the common color for a ground wire in American housing wiring.  Any lighting fixture, fan or whatever will have a green ground wire on it that is intended to be attached to the green or uninsulated ( bare) ground wire in a houses wiring circuits.

As for the connectors, yes, by all means 5/16" male connectors should be installed on the Lucas lights wires.

Not only will they make installation easy but if the wires need switching from one supply wire to another they will allow easy removal and re-installation.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 07:42:09 am
Do you mean clips like this?

Your headlight will have a glass flat rim going right around the outside at the front. The small U or C shaped bend in the centre sits on the headlight itself flat against the rear of that glass outer rim with the "open end" of the U/C shape pointing outwards at 90 degrees to the headlight aim. The two "legs" clip under the metal chrome surround.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:45:36 am by GlennF »

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 03:32:04 pm
The "W" clips are easiest to put on by hooking one end under the ring then the middle goes against the glass. Needlenose pliers to bend the other end under the rim. If you do it in your kitchen the springs will have less chance of escaping than from your garage. Some will get away but it only takes a few to hold the bulb.

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 04:49:00 pm
Yes, this is exactly the problem. I'll see if your guidance here can help me succeed! Anybody out there have a picture of the finished product - those W clips actually attaching the headlight to the rim?

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 05:27:50 pm
Alright - so apparently there USED to be a picture of how these looked attached, but it was deleted by admin, for some reason:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=1290.0
WHY?! Dear God why?! It's a beautiful day outside and I can't go riding because these stupid W clips make no sense to me.

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 05:45:00 pm
Holy crap I did it. Picture coming soon.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 06:13:24 pm
Well, better late than never.
W clips installation.
Now one must be sure they have genuine W clips as the ones I received weren't the genuine article and were a royal PITA to install. I removed them and bent the "W" section into them and they worked fine. I looked for some real ones at auto parts stores and couldn't find any. I ended up getting some from a BSA parts dealer in Wisconsin. Don't recall the name of it, but it Google nicely, even using W clips for Motorcycles. The previous post with the picture of clips are the proper bend although not necessarily with the last bend at the tip.

Bare
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:16:23 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 06:33:27 pm
if all else fails.....

میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 06:52:09 pm
So this is partially correct. The picture is how I attached it to the immediate circle frame, but later found out I couldn't slide on the other circle frame because the darn W clips were in the way. So basically, I did it exactly the way you see here, but I had to do it with both circle frames in place. It worked great.
Whether it's the "proper" way to do it or not, I don't know - but this method worked great for my application!
(Just hope I don't have to do it again anytime soon! My fingers are so sore from stretching those things out!)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 09:18:01 pm
You stick one end under the rim then use pliers to bend the other end under the rim. Saves fingers! They don't need to go under those raised doodads. Actually, those are just for aligning the lamp. Usually one of them will go under that two pronged gadget on the  rim to keep the lamp from rotating. It would be easier and you could probably turn the  W clips around the way they should go. Not that they won't work the way you have them
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 11:55:07 pm
Well they are backwards (see bare's photo for normal way they go on)  ... but if they work that way why not :D

My theory is never muck about with something that is working, so leave them that way and enjoy.

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 01:31:24 am
Yeah, believe me, for all I went through to get this new headlight installed, and to have it working properly... I'll just leave it be!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 01:33:51 am
Yeah, believe me, for all I went through to get this new headlight installed, and to have it working properly... I'll just leave it be!

Good going.  Done and working.

Did you find which wire of Lucas is which ?  How did you connect the Lucas wires to original OEM wiring harness ? 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 02:26:31 am
SinghG5,
I stripped the green/white/red Lucas wires and smashed some of those flat electrical adapters on the ends, which I just inserted into the old female parts (with the translucent green covers) of the original wiring harness. A little trial and error figured out which was which.
I just got back from a real long ride too, and nothing shorted or cut out or anything. When I'd stop behind cars at lights, I kept making sure the headlight was still on in the reflection of the car. Very happy - looks much cooler now, in my opinion!
Oh, and you might also be interested to know that I replaced both of those little pilot lights, since one had burned out.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 02:57:10 am
SinghG5,
Very happy - looks much cooler now, in my opinion!

Oh, and you might also be interested to know that I replaced both of those little pilot lights, since one had burned out.

Very glad to see that you have upgraded the headlight to 7".  Saw the picture you have posted in Photo Gallery.  It looks so much better, throws more light in front of bike, is more visible to traffic - better in every which way.  Happy riding  :).
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk