Author Topic: Rear Wheel Clicks ?  (Read 4294 times)

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 13, 2011, 07:17:42 pm
When I rolled the bike in the garage last night I heard a couple of clicks?   The noise seems to be coming from the rear hub / brake drum.   I put it on the center stand and rolled the wheel slowly.  One revolution of the wheel and it clicks 3 or 4 times.   Looked at the chain, didn't see a kink or nothing appears to be rubbing.

Maybe some kind sole will put their C5 on the center stand and turn the rear wheel slowly and tell me if their bike makes the same click I am hearing?

I'm too lazy to take the rear wheel off and investigate.

Thanks,

Terry         
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:40:24 pm
My G5 (same hub and brake parts as C5) doesn't make any noise. Removing the rear wheel and checking the bearings is really easy and shouldn't take more than an hour and well worth it if you're getting weird noises. There are two bearings in the wheel hub and one in the rear sprocket. Just give the bearings a turn with your finger- it should feel smooth without grinding or binding. If you don't want to dig into it take it to the dealer.  A clicking rear wheel would definitely fall into warranty work if it's not the chain.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:52:37 pm
Thanks jartist, I bought used - No warranty. 

You can't hear the clicking when you are riding but am a little nervous about takin her out now.  The wheel seems to turn freely.   
2010  C5  Teal
2015 Scrambler Ducati

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:15:50 pm
How about taking the chain off the rear sprocket and spinning the wheel?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:09:18 pm
Ah, it's just the anti-lock doing it's thing ;)
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:18:42 pm
OK.  I'll bite. :)
What "anti-lock" is on a UCE that would make a "clicking" sound?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 01:49:39 am
     It might be a bearing, but more likely the chain is too loose or too tight, and/or misaligned. Watch the chain as the wheel rotates. The bottom fun will raise and lower. The raised spot is the tight spot. Adjust it so you have about 1" of play there, with you sitting on the bike. Then check for alignment. You can sight down the chain. If there is a kink where it comes off the sprocket, it is out of line. 

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 02:57:00 am
I put it on the center stand and rolled the wheel slowly.  One revolution of the wheel and it clicks 3 or 4 times.   Looked at the chain, didn't see a kink or nothing appears to be rubbing.

I suspect that the chain needs lube.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 12:05:54 pm
Just like Singh, I suspect the chain. How many miles? Does it have any stuck links that could cause the clicking?
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 06:10:58 pm
OK.  I'll bite. Smiley
What "anti-lock" is on a UCE that would make a "clicking" sound?

It's a joke, son! It was a wink.
Bikes and cars with anti lock brakes sometime click.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 06:49:30 pm
I've found in the past that if the rear wheel was out of alignement, it created a clicking sound.
I suppose because its out of alingment with the front sprocket, thus causing the chain to ride up, on the rear sprocket, then drop, causing an intermittant click. Re-aligning the rear wheel corrected it. 

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 08:49:57 pm
I stand corrected... rule of thumb is start with the simple stuff and move on to the bigger things. I've made big projects out of little ones many a time! So- pull off the chain which should be easy by loosening axle and rotating wheel to drop the chain off the rear sprocket. Clicks will probably go away in which case lube chain and watch alignment when you tighten everything back up. If clicks are still there with the chain off check bearings. You guys are so smart!  :P
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:55:29 pm by jartist »

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 10:50:06 pm
I'd be putting my money with the chain theory.

Cheers  :)

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 11:14:01 pm
Okay - fixed, I think.  Oiled and adjusted the chain.   Used Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant $5 from Lowe's.   Rode around the block a couple of times, put it on the center stand, spin the wheel, no click.

I did a search to find an alignment procedure.  Got really confused, laser light?  string?  Finally went with the Singh low tech method, ride the bike on level ground and take your hands off the bars and see if it goes straight.

This is the second chain adjustment on the bike, 2300 miles.  I did a ride of 500 miles last weekend, oiled the chain before I left.  I should have known the chain would be dry. >:(

Thanks for the replies.

Terry ;)

edit:  With the bike on the center stand the chain slack should be approx. 2", its better to be too loose than too tight.   When you take the bike off the center stand there is a big difference.   Thanks GSS     

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:58:30 pm by TWinOKC »
2010  C5  Teal
2015 Scrambler Ducati

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 11:19:28 pm
I am not real clear about the chain adjustment, saw a lot of techniques, sit on the bike and adjust the chain for xx free play.  I just put it on the center stand and adjusted for a little over an inch free travel?

2010  C5  Teal
2015 Scrambler Ducati