Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 3396 times)

Merrill

• Bulleteer
on: March 27, 2008, 02:39:46 am
Have recently become interested in an Enfield.
/
I don't mind the dated technology, (own a Ural side
car rig) get along with it just fine.
/
am trying to decide between
the standard bullet or the AVL
lean burn motor.  Any advice
or opinions would be appreciated.
/
thanks, Merrill

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 04:57:59 pm
Welcome to the rarified air of Royal Enfield.
Some of our dealers still have the Classic Iron Engine bikes on the floor. And there will be one last shipment of special final edition Classics comming soon. They will be specially badged.

The AVL motor has been more reliable. Those comming in now have the cylinder barrel painted black. Only those familiar with RE's will be able to tell the difference, and then only up close. The routine maintenance on the AVL is a little less than the Classic engine.

But ultimatly, the best bike is the one that you like the best.
jim
BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

deejay

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 05:39:38 pm
Have recently become interested in an Enfield.
/
I don't mind the dated technology, (own a Ural side
car rig) get along with it just fine.
/
am trying to decide between
the standard bullet or the AVL
lean burn motor.  Any advice
or opinions would be appreciated.
/
thanks, Merrill

Get the standard Bullet, more parts, history, looks 100 times better, and reliability isn't an issue if you are familiar with routine maintenance (as a Ural owner you know whats up). The standard Bullet is the original, and production has stopped so scoop one up as soon as you can.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:47:50 pm
I faced the same question until I saw my 65 next to an Electra.  The Electra was very nice, but I opted for the older iron engine and I've never looked back.  My opinion, if you can find one of the last, specially badged Classics, jump on it.

BTW, you posted this question in the Classic Bullet section so I guess you know what sort of feedback you are probably going to get.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

Byway

• Inner State.
  • Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 03:34:31 am
I didn't learn about the AVL engine until after I purchased my '01 classic.  I feel that if you appreciate the archaic technology (or lack of technology) of the Bullet motorcycle then you should have the "old school" engine to go with it!  The iron engine is very reliable when used within it's limits, the albion 4-speed gearbox (if you have one) is great once you convert it back to right-hand shifting and learn to shift it like it was designed to be shifted!  Don't get me started about kick-starting!  ;D  My apologies to those with electric start, 5-speed gearboxes, AVL engines, etc.  You still have great bikes!   :)

Al
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic;  1988 Yamaha Virago 535;  1999 Suzuki Katana 600; 2001 Honda CN250 Helix;  1972 Honda CB350SS.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 07:52:55 am
The iron engine 'Classic' has been made for years so although probably less reliable overall if pushed very hard , is still capable of being a great engine for normal pottering around & home maintaining. The AVL I feel is the interim model as fairly soon (in RE terms anyway) the UCE ,unit construction engine, will become the norm. I think therefore that the iron engine parts will be around forever and the points systems etc will be seen as 'the original'. The AVL will be the 'blip' before the later engines so.............................?
I went for a Classic iron but it is all down to how you want the bike to be FOR YOU!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 08:17:42 am
Go to your dealer look at both and if you still can't decide flip a coin and buy that one.  But if you wan't my humble opinion buy the classic I love mine and wouldn't want any other type of RE.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI