Author Topic: oil level window  (Read 2493 times)

aikischmid

• Scooter
on: September 11, 2011, 05:43:45 pm
Hi all! So yesterday I did my first oil change on my UCE G5, 300 miles. Filled it up to between those two lines on the oil level window. Then I took it for a ride, no smoke, no leaks, all's good.
Later on, I decided I should just double check my oil level in that little round window. But it's just glossed over, the color of oil.
Today I took it out again, like a 15 mile ride around town. Everything seems fine, no smoke, no leaks, no engine light or anything. But when I look in that little round window, it's just all glossed over.
So I'm wondering - did I just miss an O ring somewhere during the oil change? I don't think I did. Should I be concerned? Anybody have any experience with this happening?
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:52:41 pm
The crankcase has a hidden space that doesn't drain. Some of your old oil stays in the engine. Then when you fill it to the proper level everything looks great but in fact it is overfilled. The hidden oil mixes with the new oil. If too much stayed in, it can puke out into your airbox and onto your filter. First drain a few ounces to get the level where it should be, then check the airbox. With luck it will be clean.

Don't feel bad. My dealer did the same thing. Just another of those quirks that give these machines their "character".

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 06:40:54 pm
Three things:
- You need to make the bike is on the center-stand (of course) on a very level patch of ground.  There is very little room for error.
- Let it sit for at least 5 minutes after your ride before checking the level.
- Next oil change measure how much you take out and put that much in.  These motors don't use oil, as far as I have heard, so all should be good.  You can always add a tiny bit more later.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:31:12 pm by prof_stack »
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 10:21:20 pm
So I just went out to the garage and had a look at my little round window, and it's actually lined up right to where it's supposed to be. Guess it just needed to be ridden a little farther than just around the block! No leaks, no smoke, oil level right at the line - guess there was nothing to worry about after all!
Cheers!
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 10:32:57 pm
Your bike is OK.

It is very likely that when you filled your engine with oil the bike was tipped slightly to the left when you filled the level to half way between the lines.

Riding heated the oil a bit which causes it to expand some.  Then when you parked the bike and rechecked the oil level either the bike was parked straight up or leaning slightly to the right.
These things working together will cause the oil to completely cover the sight gage leading one to suspect that either they overfilled it, or if the oil is very transparent to think there is no oil in the engine.

It doesn't take much of a change in the right/left leaning of the bike to have a BIG change in the level in the sight gage reading so be happy and have fun riding. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 03:08:30 pm
I'll agree with all of that.
Even the bike on the side stand reads as no oil, or very very little - (on my bike).
On the centre stand, then its totally different. Oil showing at the right level.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 03:27:29 pm
Three things:
- You need to make the bike is on the center-stand (of course) on a very level patch of ground.  There is very little room for error.
- Let it sit for at least 5 minutes after your ride before checking the level.
- Next oil change measure how much you take out and put that much in.  These motors don't use oil, as far as I have heard, so all should be good.  You can always add a tiny bit more later.

+1    The guy down at O'reilly's paint store gave me a plastic bucket that has lines marked on it.   They use the buckets for measuring/mixing paint and if you ask nice they may give you one.    :D
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

street

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:42:58 am
My 2011 G5 Dlx does the same thing.

Try to do the oil changes on a patch of floor you know to be level.
Make sure it's level in all directions. If the bike is tipped forward or back slightly that will effect the level too.

As stated, a slight change in parking grade will have big effect on oil check window.

After a ride my oil often shows same as you, which looks overfull, or sometimes nothing.

I've changed the oil a couple times now and it looks like it takes just a little over 1.4 litres of new oil, per change.
That includes tipping the bike gently side to side, off the center stand, to get that last bit of oil out.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:32:11 pm by street »