Author Topic: number plate on military and what number?  (Read 5291 times)

jmiller_2308

• Scooter
on: September 11, 2011, 09:33:18 pm
I love the number plate and would like to put one on my 1999 military.

I like that idea of having the Royal Enfield logo but at $24.95 for a vinyl applique that seems a bit too much on top of $39 for the number plate.  I'm also a little concerned that it would detract from the military theme a bit.

So my new concept is to get a number plate and paint it olive like the rest of the bike.  I'd then apply either white or black lettered numbers but I'm not sure what letters and numbers to pick.  Are their historical references people are copying?  Are they just whatever they think is cool?  Or do you actually put your license number on the plate?

My current thinking is to just put my license numbers on the number plate but I'm still trolling for ideas.

Jeff

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:33:28 pm
US1GER0
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 01:46:14 am
Jmiller, I have a pedestrian slicer on my 03 Bullet. I put my tag number on it, which  is what they were designed for. It really looks good.  I don't recall ever seeing one on a militiary bike, or if they used them.  However, I think it would really look great, cochi :D   .

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 02:05:22 am
I just made up a Royal Enfield vector graphic and got the vinyl cut at my local sign shop in black gold and red.

Clearly those colors do not suit a military but the advantage of getting it cut at a sign shop is you can change colors to suit yourself. On a military just white outline letters might work.

The vector graphic is uploaded here if you want it:

http://www-personal.une.edu.au/~gfitzpat/RoyalEnfieldLogo.eps

I have also seen people use something like "RE 1942" or "RE 1999"

Alternatively as you say, go with your licence number ...

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:08:03 am by GlennF »

jmiller_2308

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:25:43 pm
Yup, that bottom picture is what I was thinking.  I'm going to go with my license numbers but I like the idea of finding a sign company to cut them for me.

Thanks for all the input.
Jeff

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:38:04 pm
The license number seems like a good idea to me.

I can just hear a couple of cruds talking about stealing your bike.
One of them says, "Sure we can steal it!  We'll just pull the license plate off and no one will know."

The other says, "Whoa!  Look at that!  The license plate number is on the front too!  We'd have to tear the whole damn motorcycle apart to get IT off!"
 ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 01:47:17 am
Glen, nice job. Your pedestrian slicer looks great! cochi

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 02:13:02 am
Glen, nice job. Your pedestrian slicer looks great! cochi

Thanks.

To be honest the best looking color combo was black/gold/black which gave a nice gold outline lettering.

However the Black and Gold combo looked far more Velocette than Enfield to me so I ended up going with Maroon on Gold on Black.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 02:31:13 am
I like the plate on the Khaki  RE/WD...it looks proper...be sure to post a shot of the finished product!
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

jmiller_2308

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 10:19:13 pm
It took awhile for the plate to arrive and for me to then find a place to cut the vinyl numbers but I finally got that done.  I then tried to protect the numbers by spraying them with some satin clear coat.

The first side went well.  I then turned it over and noticed that one of the numbers had a tear in it but it was something I could live with.  I sprayed that side and all of the numbers puckered such that they now have a crinkle appearance to them  >:(

Not sure if this was because the paint reacted badly with the vinyl or if perhaps the sign guy didn't prep the plate before he put the numbers on.  Since the one side worked I suspect the sign guy didn't prep the metal.

I'm not sure what I'll do next but I suspect I'll sand it all off, paint it some olive green color that is close to the bike, and try again.  However, before I pay another $20 for custom vinyl and destroy it again with clear coat I'd love to hear other peoples experiences with trying to ensure that their vinyl numbers are as protected as possible.

Jeff

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 11:00:56 pm
It took awhile for the plate to arrive and for me to then find a place to cut the vinyl numbers but I finally got that done.  I then tried to protect the numbers by spraying them with some satin clear coat.

The first side went well.  I then turned it over and noticed that one of the numbers had a tear in it but it was something I could live with.  I sprayed that side and all of the numbers puckered such that they now have a crinkle appearance to them  >:(

Not sure if this was because the paint reacted badly with the vinyl or if perhaps the sign guy didn't prep the plate before he put the numbers on.  Since the one side worked I suspect the sign guy didn't prep the metal.

I'm not sure what I'll do next but I suspect I'll sand it all off, paint it some olive green color that is close to the bike, and try again.  However, before I pay another $20 for custom vinyl and destroy it again with clear coat I'd love to hear other peoples experiences with trying to ensure that their vinyl numbers are as protected as possible.

Jeff

When I had mine done I asked the sign guy about weather protection and he said the vinyl he used was the type meant for outdoor billboards and was weatherproof.

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 03:40:22 pm
I just got some spray stencils from the store and rattle can sprayed the numbers on. Looked ok. Got to remember they did not have "fancy vinyl" letterin in the old days. 8)
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 09:43:49 am
I have put my registration on the rear of my bike (here in the UK) BY CUTTING STRENCILS OUT AND USING THE RATTLE CAN METHOD.

tHE moD WOULD HAVE USED STENCILS.

bLUDY CAPS LOCK!!
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 12:00:56 pm
JMiller, around here they use those vinal letters on boats all the time for names and reg. numbers. It is about as rugged an environment as can be for that material and in my experience they hold up well. Once the sign guy is done, put it on the bike and start riding ;)
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 06:58:43 pm
The book Motorcycles at War has huge numbers of period photos of bikes taken during the Second World War.  The vast majority of British and Allied machines have no front number plates.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.