Author Topic: Electronic Ignition For The Bullet Classic  (Read 11504 times)

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
on: March 23, 2008, 11:39:05 pm
Been thinking about installing the Power Arc Electronic Ignition conversion kit offered by CMW on my '06 Bullet Classic. What do you think? Is it worth the trouble, or, is it just more problems?

Sam

• Uralist & now, Bulleteer!
  • Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 12:29:41 am
i put the $90 cheapie on, took about half an hour, most of which was spent looking for a clean place to mount the box. No perceptible difference, really, except for not having oily points. Timing can be either done rigorously by putting a degree wheel on the crank, etc; or by ear-ball, which is what I did. advanced it until the idle speed stopped increasing, then pulled it back a bit and went for a ride. No tinkling even under load at moderate rpm, so that's where it stays.

I mounted the box upside down under the regulator, using the same screw. Very neat, nearly invisible, good cooling flow.
<Insert cryptic saying by obscure author here>

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 04:41:30 am
I'm probably going to just stick with points for now, but have thought about getting the Power Arc system.  If I ever do decide to go electronic ignition, that's certainly the system I'd get.  If I understand correctly, it's very easy to set it up correctly using the built in LED indicators.  I also like that it fits right in the distributor.  On the one hand, it's a lot of money to fix something that isn't broken (the points system), but you do get some gain (no maintenance, better idling, ability to switch timing curves, etc).  Kevin seems to speak highly of the unit.  I too would be interested to hear from others who have the Power Arc installed.

Eamon
Eamon

the_roadking

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 06:59:05 pm
What about the Boyer ignition system?
Are they any better then the oem electronic ignition?

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 07:50:30 pm
Roadking, I have have an 03 Bullet ES. I've had it since new and I put in a Boyer ignition system about a month after I bought the bike . It's worked quite well and was simple to install. However, I'm  not sure whether  it was the Boyer ignition that did it, but 2 months after  the upgrade, the Lucas coil shorted. I  ended up getting the Bosch  coil sold by CMW. In 5 years I haven't had to adjust the timing!  The only other  thing you need to look out for is that the Boyer doesn't like to spark if the battery voltage drops below 11 volts.  :D

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:13:33 pm
Boyer systems dislike lower voltage batteries so if the battery is not on a trickle charge, or the bike hasn't been started and run for a while what happens is the system tends to advance the ignition. Not clever as the resulting 'big bang' damages ankles and or sprag clutches!!!!!!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 05:00:34 pm
Lotusseven, I had the pleasure of watching my "pancake" style airfilter fly past my leg after a massive carburetor "burp". It turned out that my voltage regulator had failed and the battery had run down, advancing the Boyer. It was quite exciting! At least the carb stayed put!

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:38:19 am
Oooooohhh. Not nice!
Still, better than your leg flying past the pancake filter eh?  :o
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 02:31:43 pm
Is there something wrong with the points ignition? I personally believe these things are the answer to the question nobody asked. "Untainted by technology" remember ?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

jeep44

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 02:49:39 pm
 Are the ignition replacements offered in the RE parts catalog susceptible to over-advancing the timing like a Boyer with a low battery? I am probably going to buy the one with the Bosch coil,but I will see how it goes with points before I change it over-I just want to have one while they are readily available and cheap-I may fit the coil right away,though.
Bulletist and Uraleer! 

2007 Classic Deluxe
1997 Ural Tourist
bunch of other Brit. and US bikes

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 03:07:06 pm
Is there something wrong with the points ignition? I personally believe these things are the answer to the question nobody asked. "Untainted by technology" remember ?

Nah, nothing wrong with points.  I think i said earlier about the Power Arc, it's a lot of money to spend on something that ain't broke (points).  Still, there are advantages and disadvantages both ways and it's up to everyone to weigh them.  I'm likely sticking with points, but if I did go electronic, I'd go with the Power Arc since it does seem to have advantages over the other systems, such as LESS power consumption than points (according to CMW) which should reduce the chance of a low battery causing kickback.
Quoting Kevin from an earlier thread:
"Since it is triggered optically instead of magnetically the timing is a snap. You merely install the unit, adjust the backing plate until an LED on the unit lites and you are finished. It has the added advantage of having it's own advance curve built into it."

So, it seems the only downsides to the Power Arc are cost and ease of roadside repair.  I wonder, since the Power Arc fits inside the distributor, how difficult it would be to bring points, condenser etc along and convert back to them by the roadside if the electronic box failed?
Eamon

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 03:08:57 pm
Are the ignition replacements offered in the RE parts catalog susceptible to over-advancing the timing like a Boyer with a low battery? I am probably going to buy the one with the Bosch coil,but I will see how it goes with points before I change it over-I just want to have one while they are readily available and cheap-I may fit the coil right away,though.

This is supposedly one of the advantages of the Power Arc system - it actually uses less power than the points system, so it handles low battery power better than the other electronic ignition systems.

Eamon
Eamon

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 03:17:07 pm
Crysurb, nothing really wrong with the points/condenser set up. It's quite dependable. The Boyer ignition system was a birthday gift from my brother so I gave it a try. It is a bit of "advanced technology" for a bullet , but I'm happy with it. Between my brother and I we have several 60's and 70's vintage Hondas and Yamahas all have points and condenser systems. I got a little lazy with the Bullet. By far, the Bullet is my favorite bike. It's also the easiest to work on. Will probably own it my entire life. cocchi ;)