Author Topic: my G5 is laid up  (Read 4061 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 11:08:37 pm
IMO, removing the auto decompression lever would be a mistake.

Without it in place and operating as it should, the starter motor, starter gear train and the sprag  clutch will be subjected to much higher loads as they raise the piston against the full compression caused by the exhaust valve being fully closed.

This sounds like a good recipe for part failure to me.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 12:57:15 pm
IMO, removing the auto decompression lever would be a mistake.

Without it in place and operating as it should, the starter motor, starter gear train and the sprag  clutch will be subjected to much higher loads as they raise the piston against the full compression caused by the exhaust valve being fully closed.

This sounds like a good recipe for part failure to me.

There is NO measurable difference in stater amp draw with - or without the auto decompressor. It mostly works at "kicking speed" - or when the battery is too dead to operate the processor. If you don't kick start - toss the thing and have one less pile of small parts to break inside the engine ....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 06:07:36 pm
Please pardon my ignorance but how does the decompressor work on a UCE? How can it be disabled or removed?

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 06:52:25 pm
The exhaust valve cam has a centrifugal weight that turns a pin on the cam surface. That pin is round with a flat and when the rpms are less than 700 or so the pin has the round part up prodruding into the cam making a bump for the cam follower to momentarily blip the exhaust valve open. It's disabled by removing those bits. Not sure if just the pin is removed or the weight too.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 07:27:49 pm
I think the weight and spring are removed as well.  I remember reading that the starter is up to the job but I do wonder about the sprag over the long term.  More and more I just want to get one of those and put it on the shelf just in case.

Scott

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 08:14:51 pm
I think the thing that kills the sprags when the engine kicks back on startup. The beefier sprag design should handle normal startup if it can handle kickbacks.

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 08:20:40 pm
Glad to hear your getting it fixed. I have a definate interest, I just brought my brand new G5 home Tuesday.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 01:42:29 am
Thanks for the explanation. I went by the shop and saw your bike. Shame you have to wait for a gasket. I saw the KPIG bike there. They said it was for sale for $10,000. I started calling to move money around. Then the shop owner called and said $13K. That's the same as my dealer wants. No bargain there.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 03:02:05 am
Hell, if you wait long enough it will be up to $20,000.  :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 05:07:53 am
It is a 2011 H-D Blackline. That's a Softail with most of the chrome blacked out. The list price was $16k. The 2011 has the tiny  ;) 96 cu in engine. For 2012 they kept the price the same and upped the engine size to 103". Dealers are marking down 2011s by $3000. I think the lady who won it just wants the ten grand and told the shop they could have anything over that. Who would pay what a dealer charges to get a used (8 miles) bike?

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 06:39:49 am
Finally got my bike back! Just rode home about ten miles. So far so good. Changed to an 18 tooth sprocket while they had the right side cover off but I can't say that it made that big of a difference. Its been so long since I rode it last that I can't compare it to the 17 tooth too well.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 07:48:05 am
Glad to hear your bike's back home.
Can you be a bit more specific about the noise it was making? Was it a tappet-like clatter, and did it begin suddenly? Was it much worse when the engine was warmed up to full operating temperature? Was there metal coming out on the drainplug magnets?
My own bike is going back to Watsonian Squire today. I've been assured that whatever the problem is it will be mended!
Sounds like a result, but there'll be no rejoicing here until that bike is back home and running like it should - I've been here before remember......  :-\
This time I'm having to pay my own delivery & collection costs. It aint cheap and I'd like to think the engine is going to be properly stripped down and the problem actually fixed this time!
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 04:42:10 pm
Can you be a bit more specific about the noise it was making? Was it a tappet-like clatter, and did it begin suddenly? Was it much worse when the engine was warmed up to full operating temperature? Was there metal coming out on the drainplug magnets?
Yes to all the above. Good luck getting your bike sorted quickly. It really is a drag when the bike is out of commission even when it turns out to be something small.