Author Topic: My New Plan  (Read 96503 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #105 on: December 24, 2013, 04:48:21 pm
I am now the proud owner of a basket case.

Ratchet strap to pull off the head; needed some gentle tapping with a mallet around the edge combined with the force from the strap.  Very tricky to get purchase from the hook in the exhaust outlet.

Somehow I got the feeling the bike was resisting disassembly. 

But eventually it came out.

Trying to find a pic of the wheel/fork-less chassis resting on the centerstand with a photo tripod propping up the front but no luck.

Got major parts at paint; waiting for them to get done so I can get cases, primary, and transmission to Chumma soon.  Unfortunately I'll be (finally) deploying before that's finished...maybe I can work things via remote control through wife and family back home, or will just take care of it in a few months.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #106 on: December 24, 2013, 04:59:32 pm
Oh, don't think I ever showed the mount for the spin-on filter either.  In a safer place than it was before, which was down low behind the front wheel.  Horn's now tucked up nice under the tank, too. 

(Added a bit to the engine plate to mount the filter)

Don't mind all the dirt and crud.  Everything's getting stripped and cleaned, much of it being re-painted.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: March 15, 2014, 01:20:40 pm
I am sitting on an Amtrack with the majority of an engine in a backpack.  Heading through NJ on my way out to central Africa next week--will be dropping painted cases, primary, transmission, and other bits with Chumma to get built up.  Head and barrel are done already.  Hubs to be sent to Buchanan shortly.

Frame's been further modded for a disc brake and alignment checked. Seat is in for upholstery by a certified mad scientist of leather and foam. Gonna look slick.

Once done, this will all get back to my home somehow in my absence, so it can be packed up with the rest of my stuff and delivered sometime late summer in Africa, where I'll finish building it back up.

Unfortunately, was unable to get the stainless header made in the US, nor the kickstarter modification I will likely need to clear the footpegs.  (Or at least wanted, to look slick...making it a wrap-behind design, like this 80-gbp Hitchcock piece...)

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/pictures/category5545/large/KICKSTART.jpg

I really, really cannot wait to have a running bike again.  But it's a long road.  Still, even if it was running, I wouldn't have had the chance to really ride it since last July, so it's good I can get the work done now.

I've drawn and re-drawn the wiring diagram for this thing a million times.  Think I'm settled on the nearly-simplest-possible variant.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #108 on: March 15, 2014, 07:23:26 pm
Where are you now? No still in Germany?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #109 on: March 15, 2014, 11:31:59 pm
Where are you now? No still in Germany?
Bare

Germany?!   Way too nice for them to ever send me there...hell, I rarely even get to lay over there long enough for a wurst and a beer near the departure gate.

I was in India till last July; was supposed to go to parts nasty and explosive in the fall, but didn't get the required visas, so took a temp job in Chad for a bit.  Now heading out to Mali for a few years.

Oh, and saw Chumma this afternoon.  So psyched to have the parts in his hands!!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:32:21 am by AgentX »

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #110 on: July 07, 2014, 08:24:27 am
Well, things never go as planned...was hoping to have the engine in chassis during a short stint back in the States, but that didn't work out timing-wise.

Chumma did some awesome stuff with my engine, though...sneak preview of a few things.  Drilled primary to vent the Newby clutch, did some welding and refinishing to deal with the mangled breather elbow from a previous owner of this engine case, crank...etc. etc.

But, today's the day...Chumma is bringing the finished engine up to Rhode Island to put into the frame for packing to Africa tomorrow!  He will get an assist on labor from a friendly rider I met over the summer.  Ultimate goal is a rolling frame on the new Excel wheels.

Hope to have some pics soon.  But mostly I hope everything goes smoothly.  Super-bummed to not be there to make it happen.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #111 on: July 07, 2014, 08:30:38 am

Seat's upholstered, too.  Kind of a debacle and not what we'd planned but looks pretty slick.

Finish work has been a huge problem; bike is half in powder half in paint and neither is the exact shade I wanted, nor do they match.  But I'm just happy it'll be weather-protected, durable, and running at this point.  I'll just rip though the African dust and sand and mud and dirt till everything's nice and covered/faded/worn/beaten until that sort of thing doesn't matter anymore.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #112 on: July 07, 2014, 01:48:03 pm
It's been so long I forgot you even had another project.    ::)  Glad you are making progress tho.  Sorry to hear that your paint doesn't match, that's a bummer.  Hopefully it's minor enough that only the owner and a trained eye will see it.    ;)    I kind of envy you guys that get to travel all over the world for work.  I get to drive down the exact same crowded-ass-over-packed freeway everyday.  The drive gets old.     :-\

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: July 07, 2014, 04:22:15 pm
It's been so long I forgot you even had another project.    ::)  Glad you are making progress tho.  Sorry to hear that your paint doesn't match, that's a bummer.  Hopefully it's minor enough that only the owner and a trained eye will see it.    ;)    I kind of envy you guys that get to travel all over the world for work.  I get to drive down the exact same crowded-ass-over-packed freeway everyday.  The drive gets old.     :-\

Scottie J

Hah, I don't have *another* project...just the same old drawn out angonizing one I've been boring people with for like 2 years now.

As far as the paint goes, it'll be so mismatched it might actually look intentional.  Chumma had to apply a patch of paint over the case where the breather repair was done, even.  It'll just be a patchwork, which in some ways might look authentically military, lol.

I'm over wringing my hands about it.  If I was in the States, I'd buy some RAL-standard-color automotive spray paint and repaint it all myself over the existing good-quality paint and powder already on there.  But I'm not, so screw it.  Can't order spray paint through the mail here and not gonna waste any more time/money/effort on it.

Next time the engine's out of the frame I'll consider giving it a thorough cleaning and prep for an even coat of paint...or I'll just be enjoying its mongrel-dom too much to care.  :)

Here's hoping Chumma's got things well in hand so far today.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #114 on: July 07, 2014, 04:55:27 pm
He just called me.
He is on the way to the delivery point.
He left several hours ago, so he should be nearly there.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #115 on: July 07, 2014, 05:50:04 pm
Arrived a short while ago.  :)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #116 on: July 07, 2014, 11:09:22 pm

Oh

My.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead