Author Topic: My New Plan  (Read 96561 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #90 on: June 06, 2013, 10:29:02 pm
Looks really nice!

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #91 on: June 08, 2013, 06:14:32 pm
Thanks, Scotty!

Oddly enough, 3/4 of the way towards having my new tail section mounted, I'm back to considering a different ass-end.

This style would be pretty cool, although I'm 1) not sure how comfy a Bates style solo seat would be with rearsets and 2) I'd need a new place to stash the electrics; probably in the toolboxes.

Or behind side covers I put in place of the toolboxes.

God, I'm a mess.  (edit:  especially because I also find the bike below to be inspirational...metal rear section and all.)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 06:54:47 pm by AgentX »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #92 on: June 09, 2013, 03:38:08 am
I think that the Bullet frame presents a more difficult challenge because the frame lacks the straight line from the tank back to the shock posts, and instead drops low, more like a hardtail. This creates a special visual issue that most of the bikes like Triumph and Norton and Rickman didn't have to deal with. It has that triangle area under the seat that makes it harder to get a smooth line there.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #93 on: June 09, 2013, 03:57:32 am
I think that the Bullet frame presents a more difficult challenge because the frame lacks the straight line from the tank back to the shock posts, and instead drops low, more like a hardtail. This creates a special visual issue that most of the bikes like Triumph and Norton and Rickman didn't have to deal with. It has that triangle area under the seat that makes it harder to get a smooth line there.

Absolutely.  There's a need to fabricate a sub-frame for most alternate seat options.  A solo fits in nicely if you're using springs, but as I think a sprung seat on a swingarm bike looks odd, I'd be looking at a big gap under a rigid-mounted solo, too.  (unless you buy the Indian rigid-mount couch that covers the gap...no thanks...)  Or unless you get the seat really cocked-back, which would be cool for a slightly exaggerated cruiser-ish stance when used with a really dished seat pan.

But then again, that gap could be perfect for reg/rect, ignition box, and maybe coil...

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: June 09, 2013, 04:28:30 pm
The sub-frame for the C5 OEM pillion seat provides a very nice platform for seat and cafe modifications.  Maybe you could consider fabricating something similar for your Bullet.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: June 09, 2013, 05:55:57 pm
The sub-frame for the C5 OEM pillion seat provides a very nice platform for seat and cafe modifications.  Maybe you could consider fabricating something similar for your Bullet.

That's the plan.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #96 on: June 23, 2013, 04:22:05 pm
Will get a look at the seat subframe tomorrow--having it welded in the late hours before I split the country.  New gauge cluster should be done this week, too.  Hopefully it all comes out well...if not, it was a cheap experiment.

Chumma was recently through India and was kind enough to drop by my place.  Gave me a lot of stuff to think about. 

Here's what I'm shooting for after the rebuild:

Engine/drivetrain:
-Fireball package on a 2002 engine with the coated chamber and piston, barrel cryo'd.  Magnum cams/TM32 carb per spec.
-Newby belt primary
-5spd right-shift transmission
-Spin-on oil filter, oil plumbing either Chumma's standard copper tubing, or possibly with braided stainless hose.  (flexible, which I equate to durable in this application.)
-Stock header chopped to 32" with the cheap Emgo megaphone on it.  Dreamed of stainless custom, but this'll do for now and still look awesome.  Plus I can glass-pack the crap out of it to try and keep it from deafening me.

Suspension:
-Fork cartridge emulators from YSS
-Rear Hagons with adjustable damping (310mm)

Electrics:
-Upgraded alternator
-Boyer micro-digital ignition and powerbox R/R
-Home-built wiring harness
-Halogen lamp (ditching the current cheap Chinese HID experiment), probably a 5 3/4 Bates-style bottom-mount bucket supported by a bracket on the lower crown
-Dual LED rear tail lights and LED gauge lamps

Chassis:
-Frame sent for alignment
-Seat/tail:  alloy unit I had custom-made, mounted to sub-frame with electrics and storage tray underneath.  Seat removable via quarter-turn dzus fastener to access tray. 
-Rear-set pegs moved forward an inch and a half or so, with clean mounts to replace the bodged-up mess on there now.
-Excel alloy rims (probably valenced, but the jury's still out; maybe just the dimpled standard rim) WM2 front, WM3 rear  with stainless swaged spokes.  K70 tires.
-Front disc
-Possibly:  disc brake tab welded to swingarm, derived from the Indian disc brake rear kit, with bosses for the slave and master cylinder.  (Both to make my rear brake more usable with my rearsets and to make user-level maintenance easier...I can rebuild a caliper, but not cut a drum or arc pads.)
-Also possible:  tapered head bearings in custom-machined cups

Controls:
-"Thunderbird" triple trees (as I have now, eliminating casquette)
-Dirt-trackish bars, probably Emgo "Magna Wide" in chrome
-Motion pro "turbo" throttle.
-Low-profile bar switches from Highwaydirtbikes for hi-lo, kill, and horn.
-Main light on/off via toggle switch in gauge cluster.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:24:56 pm by AgentX »

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #97 on: October 18, 2013, 03:17:21 pm
Got the seat/tail mounted in the 8th hour before leaving for the States.  I like the tank and carb in proximity to the torch--note I zoomed in from across the street for the photo.  :)

Now in the US with work underway by a very talented fabricator in Providence, RI, Tom McVay.  Top end work is done at Ace, and Chumma will be working on a bottom end over the next few months.

First order of business locally: locating the footpegs in a true mid-set position.  Clearance of the primary and transmission cases is an issue.  Tom's also going to fabricate a wraparound style kicker that goes under the pegs back to the toolboxes; by eliminating the bulky hinged arrangement on the standard 5spd lever, we can tuck the control lever in tighter.

After that, he's going to fab up a wraparound kickstart lever to sit behind the pegs, with the peg tucked up under the toolbox.  This will also allow the pegs to tuck in tighter to the frame, by eliminating the bulky folding component of the stock kicker.

Tom will also do:

-Rear disc brake mount (floating)
-Alloy seat subframe, to replace heavy steel one
-New clean mount on the downtube for my spin on oil filter
-Stainless exhaust (after bike's complete)

Once the fab work's done, going to get the frame aligned.  Have to work out getting transmission, hubs, and a bunch of other stuff to Chumma.  Paint/powder/any finishing is a chafe because of the bike and the engine being in different places.  Logistics suck!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:51:49 am by AgentX »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #98 on: October 18, 2013, 07:32:18 pm
Looking good!
Love the alloy tail section!
 8)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: October 18, 2013, 08:08:13 pm
This is my absolute favorite RE cafe. I like the way the subframe was used for the cafe seat.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: October 19, 2013, 12:56:26 am
This is my fave.  The seat is ostensibly Hitchcock's, but I believe it's a rebranded "Glass from the Past" seat model made specifically for the Enfield.  Talked to GFTP last year about it; they said supports need to be fabbed but they can provide the plans.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: October 19, 2013, 01:00:19 am
Looking good!
Love the alloy tail section!
 8)

Thanks Tom!  It's sort of out of place with the rest of the bike in olive drab, but the alloy rims will help offset it.  Originally the new engine cases were going to be raw alloy, too, so I thought there'd be a lot of bright alloy, but now Chumma's got an 06 US military bottom end he wants to use.  Which is yet another shade of OD.

It's a mongrel so I'm not too worried about it any way it shakes out.  The idea of a silver or nickeled frame is becoming more appealing, though...hmmmmmmmm.

Edit:  By the way, the seat was made by a talented guy named Ken Hosford.  He does seats in mild/stainless/alloy for between $100-200 depending on design and material.  Full custom.  Also does fenders and the like.  Great dude.  If anyone wants his contact info, let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:02:21 am by AgentX »

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #102 on: October 19, 2013, 03:14:03 am
Looks good the way it is too!  Kind of old and '40s/'50s -ish.  Somehow I don't envision you ever being done = you're going to keep having ideas.... ;)
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #103 on: October 20, 2013, 08:51:51 pm
Opinions wanted:  would a contrasting silver or nickel finish frame against the OD green tank/cases/toolboxes/fork lowers look good?

Was looking at nickeled Rickman and other classic frames at Barber and they were amazing.  Just not sure if I can carry the look on this one.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #104 on: October 28, 2013, 11:46:49 pm

My fabricator kicks ass.  Peg mounts shaping up. He's going to add another support running vertically to each side.

If you're in Rhode Island and need some custom work done, go see Tom.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:52:34 pm by AgentX »