Author Topic: My New Plan  (Read 96507 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: December 19, 2012, 02:54:33 pm
Export's no big deal.  Just need a local "no objection" certificate.  Import is easy since it's older than 25 years and qualifies as a classic.  Someone else just did the same thing...  (inspired by me, of course, but they left here first.  :) )Next position will be without family so it'll stay with them in the US.

The non-matching numbers won't be an issue until it's in the US.  It's being exported/imported with the original engine in it.  Won't have my Fireball to install until I'm back in the States anyway.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: December 19, 2012, 03:20:44 pm
sounds like u got it covered...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: December 20, 2012, 07:05:26 am
There are of course also long stroke 570 cranks about.

Not too interested in increasing the stroke, honestly.

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #78 on: December 21, 2012, 06:13:41 pm
Just popping in here to say how cool your project has turned out AgentX.

Well done, and good luck with importing.

I may have missed this in the thread, but when are you moving back stateside?
-Milk

2003 Royal Enfield Military
2009 Genuine Blackjack - MrsMilk's ride

I'm trying to make my Enfield an adventure machine:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12951.0.html

Ever want to ride a scooter to Canada??
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690259

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: January 01, 2013, 01:01:03 am
Thanks Milk--

Still have miles to go before I sleep, but overall it's been a great learning experience.  Think I've got the plan for the new engine in place and am looking forward to a little more reliability as much as I'm looking forward to performance.

That front end-swap should be happening in the next week or three.

Appreciate the kind words.  I'll be back Stateside late next summer, but will be heading out again for another year after a few months of leave and training.  (Going someplace hot and dusty for a short tour...)  Hope I can get the new build together over those months and maybe while I'm back on a few R&R trips over the following year.

No idea where I'll be after that; with my luck it'll be somewhere that won't let me import a 37 year old motorcycle from India...  :)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #80 on: January 01, 2013, 04:29:09 am
Well, I hope you land in a place where they would be happy to see your bike imported.

Wishing you and everyone else on the forum a Happy New Year with many good rides. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #81 on: January 02, 2013, 03:50:57 am
So while I was looking into different foot control options I ran across Kuryakyn.  They make lots of different styles, mostly for cruisers and Harleys but they have a cool system that could be adapted.

Their system is composed of a clevis that mounts to the frame, a post that mounts to the clevis, and a footpeg that mounts on the post.  The clevises come in a few different lengths and there are also extensions.  Combining different parts you can get lots of different lengths, so once you find your mounting point and determine how far out you need to come, just mix and match to get what you need.  They also have replaceable rubber bits to absorb the vibes which is nice for bikes like ours.

Here are some links to the footpegs with dimensions and some of the clevises and extensions:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/files/general/Footpegs%20for%20web_Harley.pdf
http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/493/Footpeg-Mounts-Mounting-Clevises
http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/559/Male-Mount-Footpeg-Extensions

You'll still need to fab up the shift and brake controls if you use these.

Scott

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: February 09, 2013, 03:47:52 pm
Oy, vey.  Been a doozy of a few weeks with the bike sitting forkless in the driveway on a jack.  Thought I had everything set for the fork swap for a disc setup.  New pumping rods drilled and springs cut to fit the valve emulators, everything painted, new top crown...yadda yadda.

Then it turned out nothing fit (imperial/metric issues, but a few other compatibility issues) and it took a few weeks of running around to get all the hardware that meshed.  Worst part was my valve emulators from the old fork won't fit the new one--the new stanchion tubes are just a bit thicker.  That meant my cut springs and drilled pumping rods were also useless, so I had to get new un-cut ones...the agony continues.

While the bike was down, I pulled the distributor shaft which had frozen stuck to the timing advance unit and replaced the points cam, which was a non-factory bodge with a strange profile, and which didn't run true.  Bonus...I think I may be able to keep set bike for a steady idle now.

Worst part was the bar clamp on the Thunderbird triple tree--it's some bizarre thread; still don't know what it's supposed to take.  No dealer couldn't help and kept trying to foist 1/4-20 studs on me, which do fit every other top crown in the world, but apparently not this one.  Alternator studs, strangely enough, seemed to fit but a bit loose, and I ended up with a stripped-out clamp.  Which is fine--I kinda needed to have them re-tapped for a more available thread anyhow.  But it did make my triumphal ride pretty ginger, since I had the bar clamped down properly on only one side.  It was also short, since I needed to remove the top crown again to get it fixed.

It was kind of soul-crushing to have to take off the bars, the dashboard, etc. to get the top crown back off and leave the fork just hanging there, but I'm not going to half-ass the machine work by trying to do it with a hand drill in situ; plus, I think it might be best to fill the existing holes with weld and re-drill/tap.

Next up, maybe a new custom tail section with electrics undertray, and re-re-wire job now that I know how to do it better, along with some other possible doodads.

Fireball is going to be in the works Stateside as soon as I can get the engine parts to Ace and Chumma...hope the shipper can put them in the mail soon.

[/soliloquy...for now.]

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: May 19, 2013, 01:06:22 pm
Aaaaand..."nes-cafe."  (ie, instant.  Just add clip-ons!)

I think I'll be going back to tracker bars, honestly.

Electronic ignition installed.  KrankVent to arrive next week.  Got a big tach and mini speedo to mount up, but that will probably wait until the big re-wiring.

I have an alloy seat unit to polish up and mount; might get that done here, might not.  Will have an electrics tray underneath to hide and protect everything.  Might powder or hard-anodize black if I don't like the shiny alloy after some time to adjust.

Rebuilt bike in the US will have alloy rims and some other shiny goodies...it'll be a less-drab version of what I have now but retain the military cues.

It's running reasonably well at the moment, thanks to the electronic ignition, but the head/barrel really need to be machined to mate better. No point in doing that now.  2 more months and I'm out of here and once the bike gets to the US, it'll be stripped to the frame to await the new Fireball engine.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:08:46 pm by AgentX »

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #84 on: May 19, 2013, 01:35:16 pm
looks great, I hope you and your bike make it back in good shape.
 I shipped my Fireball engine back to the states last week and I should be putting that in my new '04 that I have waiting for me(it has a blown engine) in July or August while home...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #85 on: May 19, 2013, 02:17:03 pm
I'd recommend putting a wrap of protective screening around the front of that oil filter element.
It's right behind the front wheel, and stones could kick up and puncture the filter element.
I cut a square section out of an old screen door that had a heavier mesh in front of the bug screen, and then used zip-ties to wrap it tight to the filter element on mine. Also, I offset my filter housing toward the primary side, so it wouldn't be directly behind the wheel.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: May 19, 2013, 03:05:48 pm
I'd recommend putting a wrap of protective screening around the front of that oil filter element.
It's right behind the front wheel, and stones could kick up and puncture the filter element.
I cut a square section out of an old screen door that had a heavier mesh in front of the bug screen, and then used zip-ties to wrap it tight to the filter element on mine. Also, I offset my filter housing toward the primary side, so it wouldn't be directly behind the wheel.

Thanks--on planning for the fireball, I was going to re-mount it vertically on the frame down tube to keep it well clear of the road.  Any disadvantages in that?

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: May 19, 2013, 03:11:45 pm
Your bike looks really great! best of luck in getting it home.
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #88 on: May 19, 2013, 03:35:39 pm
Thanks--on planning for the fireball, I was going to re-mount it vertically on the frame down tube to keep it well clear of the road.  Any disadvantages in that?

As far as I can envision it, that would be fine. I don't see problems with vertical mounting unless it's upside down, in which case the filter element would need to be equipped with an anti-drainback valve to prevent filter drainback.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: May 19, 2013, 03:49:36 pm
As far as I can envision it, that would be fine. I don't see problems with vertical mounting unless it's upside down, in which case the filter element would need to be equipped with an anti-drainback valve to prevent filter drainback.

Nah, it'll be right-side up, probably just held with a u-bolt or something.  Will work it out with Chumma.

Thanks!