Author Topic: My New Plan  (Read 96472 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: November 03, 2012, 03:06:21 pm
That rearset control looks like a Tarozzi two-piece.
Can you just move that chrome lever part to the outer face of the rearset foot control, for more clearance from the frame.
Does it have to be on the inside face of the foot lever?

Yep, it's a Tarozzi.  The actuator lever must be where it is...it's held in place by a pin locator (adjustable orientation) and the screw-down innermost ring.  Slightly offset versions are available, though.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: November 03, 2012, 06:58:37 pm
With my upswept pipe, the brake rod runs inside the muffler and the muffler is canted out slightly to clear it. The exhaust pipe itself is pushed farther under the engine case to better keep my leg off it! But everything is cleared nicely.
My setup is the Indian one and appears to have longer arms for the brake and shifting rods. The rear brake works as well as I like a rear brake too work. I can lock it up if I really want to, but I'd usually rather not. It has a short throw, about the same as the stock setup. The kit comes with a shifting arm that is the same length as the actuating arm at the peg, so the shifting throw is about the same as stock.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #62 on: November 03, 2012, 10:28:38 pm
X, any chance you could give me these dimensions off the Tarozzi rearsests?

Thanks,
Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #63 on: November 03, 2012, 11:30:03 pm
Never mind, got 'em.

Scott

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: November 12, 2012, 10:12:45 am
It's allliiiiiivvvveee!

Finally got it back on the road with all new wiring, Boyer Powerbox, new Bosch ignition coil and a solid alternator in a properly-drilled primary case.  HID headlight, too.

I'd been having a problem while trying to replace the alternator, in that the (aftermarket) inner primary case was mis-drilled somehow and just wouldn't allow the stator to mount in the proper place.  (as in, there simply wasn't enough movement so that the rotor could run without contact, not that I don't know how to space the stator and rotor.) 

Then when putting the alternator on, I found the wiring on the bike was such an incoherent black-taped spiderweb of a mess I just had to trash it and try my hand at rebuilding it myself.  Since the bike's not very standard in configuration, the factory harness wasn't very applicable.  Big learning curve, but now it's in, the wiring is clean (except behind the headlight, where I really mis-judged things), and the battery, coil and rect/reg are tucked under the seat.

It's so gratifying to see the ammeter in the positive, finally, even with the headlight on.

Still have some kind of mix/timing thing to work out, though.  But it moves again...that's something.

Now to get to that front-end swap for the disc brake fork...having a real problem getting the top caps of the stanchion tubes.  Went to the local shop who informed me they just clamp them in vice and beat down on a big crescent wrench to get them off...they figure customers will never notice the marking and possible ovalization of the tubes because they do it where it's covered by the casquette.   :o

Apparently another shop may have an appropriate impact tool to do it right.  I can't make any headway doing it by hand.

Oh, and I should be getting some better rear braking and shifting soon, courtesy of solid linkage rods with appropriate bends to get things spaced out just right.

Afro Samurai

• Bulleteer
  • Afro Samurai
Reply #65 on: November 14, 2012, 04:21:00 pm
You running same tires on front and rear?...look like same width...

Those dunlop k70?..81?...

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: November 15, 2012, 04:38:27 am
K70, 3.5 front and rear.  The slightly bigger rubber up front doesn't seem to be a bad thing given local conditions.  Lots of chunky pavement and dirt, not too much high-speed handling or sweeping turns.  It's only 1/4" over stock anyhow; even on my mountain bike, that minimal difference in tire width is fairly insignificant.

Anyhow, it turns in just fine.  With my slightly longer rear shocks, the tighter steering head angle keeps things frisky.

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #67 on: November 25, 2012, 12:45:44 pm
AgentX just read the whole thread.  Great bike!  I spent a considerable time in India with an Enfield - rode over 8000km - and this post brought back some good memories.  A Yezdi!  I remember spotting a few of those but never saw one in running condition.....

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: November 25, 2012, 01:31:05 pm
AgentX just read the whole thread.  Great bike!  I spent a considerable time in India with an Enfield - rode over 8000km - and this post brought back some good memories.  A Yezdi!  I remember spotting a few of those but never saw one in running condition.....

Thanks--just took it on a long group ride today. 

I think I've sorted many of the issues and was pretty pleased with its performance.  It gets an annoying amount of attention, but hey, it's generally positive.  (Although the constant requests to buy it--for 50,000 rupees or less, even--and demands to know "how much cost this" and "where do I get this bike?" are a litte tiresome.)  Been here over 2 years now, less than a year to go...happy to have done the India thing but not at all upset to be moving on to something new.

Got any pics from your own India riding??  We've got quite a few nice running Yezdis and Jawas around the city.

MD

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #69 on: December 17, 2012, 07:00:34 pm
Great project

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: December 18, 2012, 02:39:29 am
I noticed you are talking about changing the 350 barrel and piston for the 500 ones at a later date.

This may not be a good plan. My understanding is the lightweight 350 crank means the bike will rev much better than a normal 500 but it also will vibrate and shake very badly.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: December 18, 2012, 05:23:39 am
Some have used the 350 crank successfully, but there's also a "heavy" 350 crank which is apparently just a 500 crank.

In any case (groan) I have located a 500 bottom end I'll be using.  This is cool; I can keep my 350 as a spare engine and build the 500 up as a Fireball.  Registration of the non-matching numbers will hopefully not be too much of a problem.

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #72 on: December 18, 2012, 04:21:34 pm
 you will not regret the fireball 535 upgrade. I built up a 2nd motor when I did mine, though mine had new replacement cases without numbers, I up selling the bike with the 350 back in it, looking for a donor 5 spd bike now, or maybe I will find another head and barrel and go twin Fireball....

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: December 19, 2012, 05:09:08 am
There are of course also long stroke 570 cranks about.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: December 19, 2012, 02:32:26 pm
agent x: Registration of the non-matching numbers will hopefully not be too much of a problem on.

Is it a done deal re. shipping the 350 enfield in your HHE back to conus, storage or to your onward assignment.....Things have a way of changing at the last minute over there re. who said what and the interpretation of regulations...Hate to c u go through all this effort just to see u have to leave it there with a friend with the hopes of getting something out of it....GSO should be able to tell u specifics/Hopefully...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again