Author Topic: My New Plan  (Read 96489 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 11:34:35 am
Yeah, I'm not gonna go crazy on the engine at all.  Sticking with standard Indian-available stuff; engine-wise just gonna upgrade carb and exhaust, really. (Also not good to overstress something made to local tolerances!)

Aesthetically I'm going to do a lot of stripping-down, and I know that's not going to be to everyone's taste, especially on such a piece of history as this...but it's my bike, heh!  And I will keep everything totally reversible.  Only have one little tab/bar to weld on in order to get the new seat to fit, which will be easily removed should it be necessary (and I think the stock seat will fit on even after I've done this.)  Will use a removable bolt-on seat support, similar to what you can see in the Badger's build diary.

Once I get it back to the USA, though, it's Fireball time!  Whether I exchange the 350 engine for a 500 in a trade ,or try to replace the necessary parts on this one, time will tell.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 11:38:19 am
Over here in the UK there is a conversion to take a 350 to 450 (I think). Apparently it makes for a fine bike.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 06:22:32 pm
Just got my Snidal's manual.

Lesson one:  learn to fix the bike myself before trying to make it any significant amount faster, and if I'm going to mod it, focusing on reliability first before half-baked performance mods would be a good idea.

Still think I want the 5spd gearbox, though.  Crisper shifting is a nice thing at any point, and it'll serve the bike well as it grows to the Fireball it's destined to be.  A lot cheaper to get it over here than in the States, I'm sure.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 12:21:19 pm
At the mechanic's; turned over all the parts today to begin a rebuild.

When I showed him pics of the cafe racer seat I was using and a stolen photo of a bolt-on mount someone else rigged up for this bike, he said, "Oh yeah, used to do that job a bunch a long time ago."  So score one for me and the mechanic; one less thing that's going to be a hassle.  Fabrication is super-cheap here.

(edited) Parts shop here didn't have the Thunderbird yokes to fit my fork but am ordering them from another domestic parts supplier.

Opted to use local parts for spark plug, ignition coil, and some other bits I was planning to use high-zoot stuff from the US for.  Just wanted to get work started/ done and these are easily replaced later.

Some better pics of the bike:

Jalani the mechanic and I:

Buying parts; cost around $275 total for everything.  Still gotta get new shocks.  Looking around for a used 5-speed transmission because no one seems to know how to get a new one.  Will check with a dealer.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:00:55 am by AgentX »

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 10:37:03 am
Oh man, your going to end up with yet another shiney Enfield. Just like everyone elses.   :-\

Sell her to me and I'll love her as she is!!!   ;D

Godd luck with it.
May contain nuts.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 03:45:34 pm
Pretty much all that stuff is engine internals...guess you can see a decomp lever there but I have to replace the broken stuff.  Header has to be replaced, too, but I'm going to cover the shineyness with pipe wrap.  Don't feel like trying to find hi-temp paint to put over chrome.  Ugh.

While there will be some new parts on this thing (both by necessity and desire to change the design), overall it's still gonna look its age.  That's a priority of mine.

And I highly doubt ANYONE's going to have anything looking like this one when I'm through with it...   :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:55:26 pm by AgentX »

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 03:53:17 pm
By the way, I found out I've gotta get rid of the tank's command insignia.  I sort of understand--as a former Marine infantryman I understand why some military things are sacred, although I'm long past caring myself what someone wears short of impersonation--but in this case I sort of feel the bike is the veteran and has earned its stripes.

So I'm thinking of just painting it over with a black disc (maybe with an olive drab number on it?), inventing some imaginary emblem to paint over top, or covering it with part of a Flying Tigers-style shark mouth.

Ideas?

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 04:01:15 pm
keep the origonal tank. and get a used temp. tank  to use while over there . then eventually restore the bike.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 05:56:29 pm
agree with above, keep that tank as it is and run another one there, once back here you can reinstall that beauty...

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 01:38:57 am
Think I might just say screw it and ride it as-is, then see if it causes me trouble.  :)

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 04:59:42 am
if you are there with dip status don't worry about it at all.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 04:57:24 pm
Not that it applies to me, but even diplomats can be pulled over and cited for vehicle violations.  There's no mechanism to enforce payment or punishment afterward, but still--pain in the ass and if an embassy starts getting nastygrams about a scofflaw (for you Seinfeld fans) staff member they might come down on him internally for starting trouble.  Plus, there are varying levels of immunity.

Anyhow, I'll post more as the bike takes shape.  Hope too many people don't freak out that it's not going to look exactly like a traditional Bullet in some ways...

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 05:13:54 pm

Not like a Bullet??
what do you mean??
Why would you do that?
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 10:27:21 am
You don't need the decompressor on a 350 - well except to stop her!
May contain nuts.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 10:57:58 am
AgentX: How much do fine looking army bikes go for over there?

Should I be looking for a holiday in India to get my next bike?
May contain nuts.