Author Topic: My New Plan  (Read 98369 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #345 on: September 24, 2015, 10:59:59 am
Horrible whining/scraping/ringing noise which had me scared for a bit (left the bike at work for a week until I could give it a once-over after I brought my toolbox) turned out to be a loose primary cover...without dumping ATF all over, due to the dry clutch, the bike failed to let me know it was a little rattly!

Wheels are wonked but my cheapo truing stand just arrived so I can get those smoothed out.

Need to do some machine work to get the steering stem nuts to properly lock down--there's no thread exposed for a locknut right now.

I'm looking at a pretty damned ridable bike now.  Might be time to change the break-in pilot jet for the proper one soon.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #346 on: September 25, 2015, 04:39:44 am
Cool!
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #347 on: September 25, 2015, 11:24:33 pm
Thanks, Ace.  Hearing and feeling the bike break in to its potential is pretty awesome.

Just put a K&N filter into the canister; the paper one was having obvious issues with the (edit:) WET season and the rain.  Prolly go back to paper once the wet goes away.

Seems to be running fine now-I was having some mixture issues as the paper got worse.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:34:57 pm by AgentX »

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #348 on: October 02, 2015, 04:52:14 pm
Got back to the machine shop to get the stem cone nut lathed down a little so the top locknut could fit.  The custom cups I had made were taller than stock, and there was no thread to fit the locknut on.  Till now I was just tightening it before every ride...

Two minute job but I had to wait for the lathe guy, so I snapped some hipster bike and machine shots.

(Post-holocaust mad max Muppet rooster zombie...)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #349 on: October 11, 2015, 02:04:32 pm
Per Chumma's instructions, swapped the P6 needle jet and 200 main for a P4/185 combo.  Air screw is now about 3/4 of a turn out from bottomed, which worked for an initial start-up and stationary check, but I need to do some riding to get it hot and re-adjust.

Floats a little when dropping back to idle after some mild revs, around the 1200-1300 RPM zone.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #350 on: October 11, 2015, 03:44:47 pm
Sticky advance weights?

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #351 on: October 11, 2015, 04:06:37 pm
It's a Boyer...

Altogether it feels better, more taut and athletic.  It was definitely a little fat before.  Just that little bit of float.  Not much of a problem and we'll see if a little more work with the air screw doesn't cure it.  It's happening with the throttle closed so that's gotta be the jet responsible, no?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 04:08:44 pm by AgentX »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #352 on: October 11, 2015, 04:44:07 pm
It's a Boyer...

Altogether it feels better, more taut and athletic.  It was definitely a little fat before.  Just that little bit of float.  Not much of a problem and we'll see if a little more work with the air screw doesn't cure it.  It's happening with the throttle closed so that's gotta be the jet responsible, no?
A little fat during break-in is not too bad. They do better with the jetting Chumma recommended in the warm weather after break-in. It's okay, just keep an eye on the heat.

With the throttle closed, it's either the air screw or there is an air leak.
Only the pilot jet and the air screw are in play with a closed throttle. No other jets are even operating with a closed throttle.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #353 on: October 11, 2015, 04:49:17 pm
yep, had no worries about the break-in jetting; I know why it was that way, and it ran great even when richer than optimal.

Don't think it's an air leak but I will double-check the hose clams since I did obviously have to take everything apart to get the carb out for the re-jetting.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #354 on: October 11, 2015, 06:26:51 pm
Got it warm with a little scoot around the neighborhood with the daughter. Re-set the air screw, and now it's fine.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #355 on: October 12, 2015, 01:12:12 pm
Stuck on a brutally hot firing range waiting for the construction contractor to show...so, more snapshots.

Disc brake setup is good, but I may work up a new linkage for the left-side brake pedal. This one has an inline ball joint which makes up for a lack or precision but I might try to make something which doesn't require that.

Also looking at toolbox/side cover options.   The stock boxes interfere with rider legs/feet due to placement of rearsets.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #356 on: October 12, 2015, 01:18:05 pm
Looking real nice!  How did the headset bearing job end up working out for you?
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #357 on: October 12, 2015, 03:00:20 pm
It is working very nicely now.  The first design i tried needed a bit more grinding for clearance; once achieved this worked well except for the taller stack height of the new bearing cups.  This left less exposed thread on the steering stem, leaving nothing for the top locknut to thread down on.  Had to tighten occasionally between short rides.

Two minutes on a lathe turned down the lower cone nut (Thunderbird yoke setup) enough to get the locknut back on and it is copacetic now.

Dunno if it was worth the hassle but it is a nice customish touch, I suppose.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #358 on: October 12, 2015, 04:24:34 pm
On a very minor detailing point, you could replace the old rear drum brake's cam spindle housing with a blanking plate, or abolish the old backplate altogether and replace it with a spacer washer of the correct thickness.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #359 on: October 12, 2015, 05:33:47 pm
On a very minor detailing point, you could replace the old rear drum brake's cam spindle housing with a blanking plate, or abolish the old backplate altogether and replace it with a spacer washer of the correct thickness.

A.

Hah, every time I look at the wheel I'm thinking "When I get around to being annoyed by that, I guess I'll know I have the rest of the bike pretty well sorted out!"

I could drill out the fasteners and pop-rivet a piece of aluminum over it pretty easily, for sure.