Author Topic: My New Plan  (Read 96473 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #135 on: October 05, 2014, 11:24:50 pm
I'll fix it one of these days.  ;)

See?  Such a heavy obligation having a nice-looking bike!! 

Edit:  finally got the footrest bar in...supported frame on both sides at the footrest bar bosses with a friend helping steady the bike, and with a little downward pressure on the frame, it slipped in.  Fumbled with spacers for a bit and got it completely through.  Little nub left over needed about an inch of spacer so I could snug it down tight.

It's these little things that make this job hard!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:38:56 pm by AgentX »

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #136 on: October 13, 2014, 11:07:13 pm

Got the shift linkage and kicker set.  (Nevermind the direction of the folded peg--just worked out that way for this mockup.)

More interestingly, I had the African Machine Shop adventure this morning, getting the stem prepped to take the taper roller bearing for the new headset setup.

Big on color, awesome old lathes, and the most voluminous collection of blocks and cranks on earth.  Not big on safety gear.  But they did like surgical masks if not shoes, eye pro, or gloves.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #137 on: October 26, 2014, 06:51:30 am
Carb and airbox mounting.  Have some interference with tank mount tabs so I will have to get some grinding going to make it fit together.

Getting started with the oil hosing.  From cases to external filter, up to forward head oil input, and across to the rear.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #138 on: October 26, 2014, 09:49:30 am
The ritual autumn "making o' the hoses."

Earl's Speed-Seal hosing hates dremel cutting wheels, or vice-versa...went through wheels crazy-fast, but cutting and assembly were pretty damned easy.

Lessons in braided lines:  There's a natural curve to the line, so make sure you design that in, and torque your hose-ends to be in a good position when the line sits naturally when using a banjo end.  You have a little bit of wiggle room in how much you tighten, so you can alter the position of the banjo just a tad.  Helps if you're not fighting against a twist it as you try and thread the banjo and two compression washers into the aluminum haed.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #139 on: October 26, 2014, 04:22:47 pm
I love the stainless oil lines!  Where did you source those?  I think I'm going to have to do that to the Blackhawk.  Looking good!  :D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #140 on: October 26, 2014, 05:33:42 pm
I love the stainless oil lines!  Where did you source those?  I think I'm going to have to do that to the Blackhawk.  Looking good!  :D

Thanks!

NPT adapters in filter, cases, and head needed to be drilled and tapped for m10x1.25 banjo bolts. 

Lots of brands of hose and hose ends, but I chose Earl's performance speed-seal in zinc finish because they had the only m10 banjo to an3 hose fitting I could find.  JEGS is a great source for this kind of stuff because of free shipping.  I got my setup from an plumbing.com.  Summit is another good choice.

FYI I have the Ace hi-flow oil system and Chumma and I decided on an4 hose up to the double banjo head feed, with an3 feeding off of there to the second head input.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #141 on: October 26, 2014, 06:32:37 pm
Do you get equal or sufficient oiling to your intake side with this hose arrangement?
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #142 on: October 26, 2014, 06:48:42 pm
Do you get equal or sufficient oiling to your intake side with this hose arrangement?

Can't start the engine yet to say for certain, but obviously that is the anticipation.

My original plan was a tee fitting to both intakes, but Chumma felt this was a simpler way to accomplish the same thing.  The RE factory accessory(to best of my knowledge) oil cooler fitted to the Fury routed this way, too.

With the hopped up hi-flow oil system, I sincerely doubt we will see a lack of oil at the intake rocker, but it will be the first place I check on startup.

Edit:  here is the Fury

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:52:59 pm by AgentX »

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #143 on: October 26, 2014, 06:51:18 pm
Can't start the engine yet to say for certain, but obviously that is the anticipation.

My original plan was a tee fitting to both intakes, but Chumma felt this was a simpler way to accomplish the same thing.  The RE factory (to best of my knowledge) oil cooler fitted to the Fury routed this way, too.

With the hopped up hi-flow oil system, I sincerely doubt we will see a lack of oil at the intake rocker, but it will be the first place I check on startup.

Well everything you have done so far looks well thought out. Good job.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #144 on: November 16, 2014, 02:20:12 pm
OK, I think my tacho is happy up front in the cut-down pod.  Any votes for where to tuck in the speedo?  (Snigger) sorry for crap pic quality in this thread.

I think alongside the tach but vertical gets my vote.  Second to alongside the fork leg.

Made the throttle cable, too.  $20 Chinese electric solder pot makes it super simple to put on cable ends...guess it is more expensive than a $2 pipe end fitting, but I don't have a torch to melt the solder.  Either way, totally worth it over using the electric soldering iron.  60/40 solder and red liquid flux.  Dip.  Boom.  Done.  Solder exactly where I need it, in appropriate amounts, without overheating the wire or stiffening it with excess solder wicking.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #145 on: November 16, 2014, 02:30:12 pm
Do you legally need the speedo?  I personally love the look of a big ol' tach (and maybe a couple of engine gauges) without the speedo.  But maybe that just stems from my '75 Formula 350 Firebird snapping the speedo cable twice wrapping the needle past 100mph and back around to about 30mph mark.  ;D  But if you need/want the speedo on there, I'd go with the 1st position.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #146 on: November 16, 2014, 05:10:38 pm
Need an odometer is the issue.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #147 on: November 16, 2014, 06:13:58 pm
Need an odometer is the issue.
For fuel/mileage purposes?  How about a sleek hour meter instead?    ???  Either way, your bike is going to look sick when your done.  :D

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #148 on: November 16, 2014, 08:36:44 pm
I think I can get a fork leg bracket knocked out by the machinist who has been helping me out.  Just two round clamps in a figure 8.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #149 on: November 16, 2014, 09:11:18 pm
will it be "right-side-up"?   ;)