Author Topic: operating shaft bushing  (Read 3108 times)

mtrude

• Scooter
on: March 23, 2008, 09:04:20 pm
Hello, I am in the process of installing the right hand shift conversion on my 99 Bullet. I have some questions concerning installing  the new operating shaft bushing in the inner cover. The bushing has a beveled end and a flat end. Which goes to the inside? The bushing is also seems to be  a force fit, should I heat the cover before installing it? Is the amount of bushing exposed on the outside of the inner cover critical or can I match the bushing in the old cover? Thank you, mtrude

Byway

• Inner State.
  • Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 04:07:01 pm
Mtrude: 

I had my inner gearbox cover off recently but didn't pay much attention to the bushing you're referring to as I didn't have to replace it.  The bushing is likely beveled on one end to allow easier insertion into the cover.  I'd insert it bevel-end first.  Be gentle as the bushing is soft.  It should be an interference fit.  I would install it at the same depth as the old cover. 

Also, while you have it all apart, consider upgrading the mainshaft bearing to a partially sealed unit (6303 2RS with seal removed from one side).  This will allow you to use gear oil instead of 00 grease. I've found that my gearbox shifts more smoothly with 80W140 gear oil than with grease!

My gearbox is right-hand shift, too, and I really like it!  I takes a little getting used to shifting with one's right foot, memorizing the shift pattern, and remembering to match the engine speed to the gear you're upshifting or downshifting to but, once you do so, you'll probably find that it shifts nicely (assuming you have your shifter ratchet assy. and detent plunger adjusted properly)!

Hope this helps!

Al
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic;  1988 Yamaha Virago 535;  1999 Suzuki Katana 600; 2001 Honda CN250 Helix;  1972 Honda CB350SS.

mtrude

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 12:30:09 am
Hello,and thanks for the reply, I called CMW today and talked to the Tech, Nate. We decided that that the bushing should go in bevel first, He also reccomended me to call M+S cycle in Sotia N.Y. for advice on installing it. The owner Steve Ritzko recomended using the operating shaft as a pilot when pushing the bushing into the case to save it from possible deformation. I heated the inner cover in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees and put the bearing and bushing in the freezer. They both went in easily with just a few taps. I installed the bushing to approximately same height as the old one about 25 thousands above the opening.Im using the partially sealed bearing also. Between the loss of the left side linkage and the grease in the gearbox Im expecting it to shift a lot better.Thanks and have fun, mtrude

Byway

• Inner State.
  • Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 01:52:03 am
You're welcome.  Sounds like it's going well...  Keep us posted on how your conversion turns out!

Al
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic;  1988 Yamaha Virago 535;  1999 Suzuki Katana 600; 2001 Honda CN250 Helix;  1972 Honda CB350SS.

mtrude

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 04:59:21 pm
Hello, Ive finished the shift conversion and if the short ride i was able to take is any sign, the shifting is going to be very much improved, it is much more defined and sure feeling when a shift is made. It still takes a definite movement to shift but thats o.k. because shifting up for 1st and down the rest of the time takes an extra thought process for now. I still need to fiddle with the neutral finder but I am very happy with the conversion.A couple of tips I can pass along are to make sure you hold in the kickstart shaft when removing the inner cover, when installing the operating shaft bushing tap very gently, or it will raise a burr so the ratchet wont slide over it, and finally when filling the gearcase with oil, pay attention to the level indicator plug and not the oil amount you expect to put in as a shoe/sock full of 90weight is hard to explain to the wife. I hate it when the are smirking too hard to listen to your story. Have fun mtrude