Author Topic: Is it worth it ?  (Read 10808 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 01:22:53 pm
\
I LOVE it. No side stand cut out. No indicators. No kill switch. Ignition key not required.  :D

Sounds like my 07.   I just check the oil and tire pressure once a week and ride every day.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 01:31:56 pm
Went for a ride yesterday, both were low!!  ::)

Toped up the air in the front and oil in the engine and we were off for the thrill of a lifetime!!!

At about 40 mph   ;D

The council have just sprayed many of the country roads with tar and chucked loads of grit at it. They call it re-surfacing!  :o  So now we havegrit piling up at the centre and at the edges of the road, ready to take down the unwary.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 06:20:12 pm

The council have just sprayed many of the country roads with tar and chucked loads of grit at it. They call it re-surfacing!  :o  So now we havegrit piling up at the centre and at the edges of the road, ready to take down the unwary.

They do the same thing here. They call it "chip seal". I met an old friend a few years ago. He rides and his job is spraying the oil before they dump the gravel on it. I asked how a fellow motorcyclist could do such a potentially lethal job. He said it is not dangerous if done right. I disagreed. We haven't spoken since.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 11:12:10 am
It's horrid stuff. Most doesn't stick and it takes a while to get swepped up or dissappear into the verges.

There's supposed to be a speed limit until it setttles, until then you could loose an eye!
May contain nuts.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 08:14:00 pm
It's horrid stuff. Most doesn't stick and it takes a while to get swepped up or dissappear into the verges.

There's supposed to be a speed limit until it setttles, until then you could loose an eye!

Or worse, a bike ;)

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 01:48:26 pm

You're asking on an Enfield site if they're any good. What do you think is going to be the answer? By asking owners that are not wearing rose tinted specs you can often get a TRUE answer based on thier own experiencesBare in mind these Indian chaps aspire to own an RE then ride them for thousands of miles. All weathers, all terrains. How bad do you think they can be? Indians are not paying up to 5K for these, and to be fair with EFI etc its getting a little beyond the home mechanicI'm riding a 30 year old 350 Indian import. I think all the teething troubles are over now.  ;D

I LOVE it. No side stand cut out. No indicators. No kill switch. Ignition key not required.  :D
Yes, I also love something 'old skool'!I wasn't trolling or trying to get my post count up. Fair enough !! ;D
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 03:22:27 pm
But we are all wearing rose tinted specs. It is not a logical choice. Head says Japanese, heart says RE.

You wouldn't be paying 5k for an Indian Enfield. You would be paying for an Indian Enfield that has gone through importers QA. FWIW.

I would say go for it. If your lucky you will get one that someone didn't like as they wore rose tinted specs and can't get on with it. They sell cheap to get rid quick and you pick up a bargain. Worst case you then sell on for the price you paid.

Personallly, i would buy an older one. Iron barrel as they call them on here. They are around for between £500 and £1000. Bargain. I have no interest in the newer models.
May contain nuts.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 07:07:26 pm
But we are all wearing rose tinted specs. It is not a logical choice. Head says Japanese, heart says RE.

You wouldn't be paying 5k for an Indian Enfield. You would be paying for an Indian Enfield that has gone through importers QA. FWIW.

I would say go for it. If your lucky you will get one that someone didn't like as they wore rose tinted specs and can't get on with it. They sell cheap to get rid quick and you pick up a bargain. Worst case you then sell on for the price you paid.

Personallly, i would buy an older one. Iron barrel as they call them on here. They are around for between £500 and £1000. Bargain. I have no interest in the newer models.
A fair assessment, I think.  But getting an older model opens up a whole 'nother set of things, such as your toolbox and wallet and patience meter.  The UCE is not perfect, we know that, but compared to the iron barrel versions, is in a different league entirely.  imho, of course.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 02:46:01 am
If you have to think about it,...if you have to ask.....consider a Honda Rebel.

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/rebel.aspx

rofl I traded in my 2006 Honda CMX250 Rebel I bought new and put 20,000 miles on towards my 2011 Royal Enfield B5. I am soooooo glad I did despite my iniial problems like 3 days in trashed starter and cracked stock exhaust with spit heat shield. Oh and a ton of nuts and bolts was shed. Blue lock tight etc and vynel lock nuts. I am now 2000 miles and starting month 2 of owning it. Awesome machine so much so that I am selling my 74 honda CB500 and 1982 Yamaha XJ650. Man nothing like a RE but stoping at gas stations can be tough because I get a lot of people aproach me and ask questions about the bike. I am 32 from the mid west (USA) and this bike has what I need for out here.
Signature

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 03:25:40 pm
Yes, as most have said here, once you have researched the RE, then bought it, you tend to fall in love with it. Mind you though, this is a bike for those who are not in love with speed and power but appreciate the vibration and thumper sound that these bikes provide. There is nothing like progressing through the gears at low throttle and letting the torque speak volumes through my efi muffler. Also, going up a hill and punching a little and hearing that single sing out with joy keeps my smile wide and sweet. I would recommend this bike to anybody. A must have if you are a true motorcycle enthusiast. It's also a great beginner bike as it does not encourage you to go at crazy pocket rocket speeds.
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 06:55:27 pm
Yes, as most have said here, once you have researched the RE, then bought it, you tend to fall in love with it. Mind you though, this is a bike for those who are not in love with speed and power but appreciate the vibration and thumper sound that these bikes provide. There is nothing like progressing through the gears at low throttle and letting the torque speak volumes through my efi muffler. Also, going up a hill and punching a little and hearing that single sing out with joy keeps my smile wide and sweet. I would recommend this bike to anybody. A must have if you are a true motorcycle enthusiast. It's also a great beginner bike as it does not encourage you to go at crazy pocket rocket speeds.

I am definately not in love with speed and power as I already have 2 Enfields, one with a 412cc Fuji Robin Diesel and the other with a 347cc Hatz Diesel  ;D ;D ;D
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 08:00:50 pm
I´m absolutely in love with speed and power and that´s why I´ve got my Bullet! It gives me the most possible interpretation of the topic  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #42 on: September 18, 2011, 03:27:00 pm
Well I had mine up to 77 mph for a short stretch yesterday on the freeway so you can get a speed rush too if you want. Of course I was hanging on for dear life and my half shell was wanting to fly off my head but it was still fun ! 8)
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650