Author Topic: Is it worth it ?  (Read 10715 times)

palace15

• Bulleteer
on: September 08, 2011, 11:12:56 pm
 ???

I have seen a couple of 1yr old C5's with less than 4500miles on them, both are over 200miles from where I live, and the UK importer says its at the dealers discretion whether the warranty can be transferred, and if so any warranty issues I may have can only be dealt with by the original dealer(200miles away). so what I ask you guys, Are the new C'5s worth the gamble of NO warranty? I realise that if we were talking about a HonKawaSuzYam I probably would not even be asking this question, but we are talking India/RE !

Over to you guys!
Dave
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:25:53 pm
The new UCE bikes are much better than the older bikes in that they have far fewer problems BUT as you said they are not Japanese machines.  You may have some small problems but a bike with a year and 4000 miles should have been shaken out by now.  Most problems are minor and easy to fix with a few tools and a question posted here.  You're unlikely to need major work but if you do you're going to have to:
1) haul 200 miles for the warranty
2) do it yourself
3) pay a local mechanic.

How much will you save by buying used?  Are you at all handy?  If you're not saving much money over a new bike that you could get from the local dealer and if you don't want to or can't do any work yourself it may not be worth the gamble.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:10:14 am by Ducati Scotty »

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:37:59 pm
I bought a used 2010 C5 that I found on Craig's List with less than 300 miles on it.  No warranty.   The closest dealer is over 100 miles away.  My bike has been pretty much trouble free.  The minor problems I have had have been resolved by assistance from knowledgeable brothers on this forum.   The president of CMW called me to help with one issue.  I can't say enough good things about Royal Enfields and this forum.

Go for it!

Terry     ;)    
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 11:49:57 pm
First of all, many thanks for such prompt replies, First bike has about 1200 miles on it and a saving of £1750 and the second bike has about 4500miles, slightly newer and a saving of about £1250.

I prefer to do my own spanner work and I have already seen how friendly and knowledgeable this forum is  :D

I would also join the UK RE owners cllub

I will post the outcome.
Dave
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:11:15 am
That's big money and since you're handy with a wrench spanner, I say go for it!

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:22:06 am
I look at it this way.

1) If you have minor annoying problems that normally are covered under warranty will it cost more than £1250 to fix locally ? This seems unlikely.

2) If you get a major serious warranty fault would it cost more than £1250 to freight the bike back to the original dealer? This also seems unlikely.

With the amount of money you are saving warranty is not such an issue.

Its more important to look at other factors - the history of the two bikes and also any differences between 2010 and new models (do the UK 2011 C5 have the kickstart for example). Also how does a new B5 compare price-wise with a second hand C5.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 12:42:57 am
I'll probably forget something and I have only owned my RE G5 for about 2 1/2 months but here is a listing of the problems I've had/read about on the UCE bikes (mostly American imports).
The problems are listed as I think of them .

Burned out light bulbs. (Easily replaced)

Shorts in the wiring system. (Poor protective insulation consisting of a great use of plastic electrical tape combined with sharp metal edges.  Much of this can be avoided by using slit rubber/plastic tubing to cover the wires in the vicinity of sharp metal edges)

One defective alternator.

Several electrical start sprag clutch failures.

Several cases of loud unexplained ticking/knocking noises.

Instability at high speeds. (often fixed by lowering tire pressures.  Some people suggest replacing the white swing arm spacers with the newer black ones.  Also, loosening the front suspension bolts, bouncing the front tire on the ground and retightening the bolts.)

Electric Starter solinoid failure. (The best fix seems to be replacing it with a non RE part).

Loosening of fasteners. (Check often and use the Blue Loc-Tite thread locking adhesive to secure)

Chain and rear sprocket wear. (Lube often, adjust to factory specs (1" loose) as required.)

Difficulty replacing oil filler cap. (Install redesigned cap assy. or add a screw to hold the filter retainer/filter bypass valve disk in place.)

False neutrals in shifting  transmission. (usually get better with using fully synthetic oil and additional break in milage).

Computer does not boot up when trying to start. (Check sidestand switch.  Disconnect if defective).

Engine searching for correct idle speed. (Replace Bosch spark plug with NGK BPR6ES and reduce idle speed slightly by turning the brass screw in the top of the throttle body clockwise about 1/8 turn).

I'm sure there are more but for now these are ones that stuck in my mind.
As you can see, the new EFI, UCE powered bikes are prooving to be pretty "Bullet proof". (small pun there. :) )

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 12:16:11 pm
I look at it this way.

1) If you have minor annoying problems that normally are covered under warranty will it cost more than £1250 to fix locally ? This seems unlikely.

2) If you get a major serious warranty fault would it cost more than £1250 to freight the bike back to the original dealer? This also seems unlikely.

With the amount of money you are saving warranty is not such an issue.

Its more important to look at other factors - the history of the two bikes and also any differences between 2010 and new models (do the UK 2011 C5 have the kickstart for example). Also how does a new B5 compare price-wise with a second hand C5.

Minor problems I am not too bothered about, its more a case of a major 'blow-up', I take onboard your comment about returning the 200miles to the original dealer, thats not the concern which is that the original dealer may not let me continue the warranty as this is sometimes only limited to the original owner, Dealers are like insurance companies, always looling for an 'escape' clause!

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 12:34:00 pm
Would people be using them as primary transport for thousands of miles if they were all that bad?

Do you take us for idiots? As we're using them?  ;)

Go for it. Or buy a Honda.

Or ask on a Honda forum!!  :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:36:47 pm by Lwt Big Cheese »
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 12:50:11 pm
I'd buy one with 1200 miles on to save £1750!
I'd say worth the gamble.
And you wont find anyone more ambivalent about these bikes than me ....! ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 01:50:49 pm
My personal warranty claims:

Lock on left hand side panel fell out
Wiring was defective causing fuses to blow and battery flattened
Sprag clutch failure (1)
Sprag clutch failure (2)
Exhaust split apart (Goldie silencer, not OEM)
Entire rear asembley - stoplight & indicators - fell off due to holding bracket shearing
Sidestand switch defective, not replaced
Starter solenoid replaced
Clutch switch replaced

There have been a few other issues - loose connectors, exposed wires causing shorts - that have been resolved without involving the warranty. The above covers 18 months and 9,500 miles. I've demoted it to second bike and done only 1,000m in the last three months and it's been fine.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 02:33:02 pm
For me a motorcycle is about pleasure riding.  My 2-wheel commuting is by bicycle as 4.2 miles is too close for all the gear and warmup to make it worth the time on the motorcycle.

The RE is a niche bike and those who really want it buy it.  RIght now it is my second bike and gets the short ride "cycle-therapy" duty of 30 to 100 miles per ride.  For that it is perfect. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 06:50:43 pm
I have 3200mi. on my G5,and the only warrantable problem I've had on mine is a dimmer switch that was improperly assembled at the factory, resulting in terrible lights, even when I put the 7" tri-bar on. I fixed it myself.
My engine is fairly quiet. Nothing is alarming me. It tracks well handles well, especially with the K70s. No wobbles. It's comfortable, a lot of 200 mile rides and I feel great.
I put a DEKA battery in it because I don't like standard wet batteries. I di keep the OEM one to start model airplane engines with. It idles pretty well except getting a bit fast when it's hot. the starter works when I choose to use it. I'd rather kick it.
Sidestand switch was getting intermittent, my mechanic caught it and repair it in a 1/2 hr.
I have no real complaints about it. It's been as reliable as anything else I've owned. And that's a lot of bikes. I do work on it more than I have anything else recently, but that's because I enjoy working on it.
And now I've got to go put another 100 or so on it. Later, guys.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 09:46:30 pm
Would people be using them as primary transport for thousands of miles if they were all that bad?

At any point did I even suggest I was taking anybody on this forum to be an idiot?

How would I know what people on here use thier RE's for, I personally want to tour on one.

I actually own an offroad Honda so if I wanted any info on that I would go on a Honda forum.

I can't quite understand if you are trying to be a 'keyboard hero' or just trying to boost your 'post count' or maybe I have just wasted my time replying to an idiot?

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 11:06:27 pm
 If you have to think about it,...if you have to ask.....consider a Honda Rebel.

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/rebel.aspx

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 11:15:44 pm
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 01:08:12 am
Perhaps the Enfield is not the best idea then, I rather ride either of these!  ;D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3588/3387943783_0605e7f013_o.jpg

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 05:11:35 pm
The girl?...or the bike. The girl's nice, but I'll pass on the bike.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 05:30:08 pm
Palace, perhaps you have blocked the smileys.   :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

The post about us being idiots included them. He meant it in a humorous way. Of course we are all idiots. Who would pay two thousand dollars more than the new Honda 250 costs for a 1939 design of questionable quality? The Honda is faster, better handling and looks like it is from this century. You can even do track days on it.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 06:42:05 pm
me, me, me!! ;D ;D

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 07:32:41 pm
We are all idiots and I have just joined you all !!! just agreed a deal to get a classic C5 in black, yes, sod the Honda, do the girl  :-*

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 07:48:34 pm
Welcome :) :)  Great decision, you'll be the winner on this one.

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 11:37:29 pm
We are all idiots and I have just joined you all !!! just agreed a deal to get a classic C5 in black, yes, sod the Honda, do the girl  :-*

Congrats!  Now join in the forum fun of frenetic frustration!!   ;)

First thing you should do is get some blue threadlocker.  Trust us all, you will be glad you did.

bman734

• Grease Monkey
  • If it smells nasty, don't eat it
Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 12:20:15 am
Wow, this stream got wacky! Very entertaining though fellas. Plus I just got one more post in ha!
Royal Enfield C5 Military
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

bman734

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 12:24:20 am
9 more and I'm a bulleteer.
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: September 11, 2011, 02:35:02 am
Welcome! 
I really like my RE and if I had the money I'd probably get another one to make a chopper or bobber.  Rebels are cheaper and I'd really like to do a bob job on one someday.

Scott

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 03:30:30 am

Is stump back?
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 03:42:40 am
The one whose name shall not be mentioned...   ;)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 12:30:38 pm
Oops. A bit touchy there.

I didn't say... oh never mind.

You're asking on an Enfield site if they're any good. What do you think is going to be the answer?

If you asked about brewing your own beer on a temperance forum, what sort of answer do you think you'd get?

Get one. Ride it. Then tell us what you think! It may not be what you think a motorcycle should be. I read on another forum where a guy with an old Yamaha pulled over to see if he could help a couple of HD riders. They said they were fine, just waiting for a pick up truck to take them home as they had heard rain was coming.

Bare in mind these Indian chaps aspire to own an RE then ride them for thousands of miles. All weathers, all terrains. How bad do you think they can be?

I'm riding a 30 year old 350 Indian import. I think all the teething troubles are over now.  ;D

I LOVE it. No side stand cut out. No indicators. No kill switch. Ignition key not required.  :D

I wasn't trolling or trying to get my post count up.
May contain nuts.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 01:22:53 pm
\
I LOVE it. No side stand cut out. No indicators. No kill switch. Ignition key not required.  :D

Sounds like my 07.   I just check the oil and tire pressure once a week and ride every day.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 01:31:56 pm
Went for a ride yesterday, both were low!!  ::)

Toped up the air in the front and oil in the engine and we were off for the thrill of a lifetime!!!

At about 40 mph   ;D

The council have just sprayed many of the country roads with tar and chucked loads of grit at it. They call it re-surfacing!  :o  So now we havegrit piling up at the centre and at the edges of the road, ready to take down the unwary.
May contain nuts.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 06:20:12 pm

The council have just sprayed many of the country roads with tar and chucked loads of grit at it. They call it re-surfacing!  :o  So now we havegrit piling up at the centre and at the edges of the road, ready to take down the unwary.

They do the same thing here. They call it "chip seal". I met an old friend a few years ago. He rides and his job is spraying the oil before they dump the gravel on it. I asked how a fellow motorcyclist could do such a potentially lethal job. He said it is not dangerous if done right. I disagreed. We haven't spoken since.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 11:12:10 am
It's horrid stuff. Most doesn't stick and it takes a while to get swepped up or dissappear into the verges.

There's supposed to be a speed limit until it setttles, until then you could loose an eye!
May contain nuts.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 08:14:00 pm
It's horrid stuff. Most doesn't stick and it takes a while to get swepped up or dissappear into the verges.

There's supposed to be a speed limit until it setttles, until then you could loose an eye!

Or worse, a bike ;)

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 01:48:26 pm

You're asking on an Enfield site if they're any good. What do you think is going to be the answer? By asking owners that are not wearing rose tinted specs you can often get a TRUE answer based on thier own experiencesBare in mind these Indian chaps aspire to own an RE then ride them for thousands of miles. All weathers, all terrains. How bad do you think they can be? Indians are not paying up to 5K for these, and to be fair with EFI etc its getting a little beyond the home mechanicI'm riding a 30 year old 350 Indian import. I think all the teething troubles are over now.  ;D

Yes, I also love something 'old skool'!I wasn't trolling or trying to get my post count up. Fair enough !! ;D

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 03:22:27 pm
But we are all wearing rose tinted specs. It is not a logical choice. Head says Japanese, heart says RE.

You wouldn't be paying 5k for an Indian Enfield. You would be paying for an Indian Enfield that has gone through importers QA. FWIW.

I would say go for it. If your lucky you will get one that someone didn't like as they wore rose tinted specs and can't get on with it. They sell cheap to get rid quick and you pick up a bargain. Worst case you then sell on for the price you paid.

Personallly, i would buy an older one. Iron barrel as they call them on here. They are around for between £500 and £1000. Bargain. I have no interest in the newer models.
May contain nuts.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 07:07:26 pm
But we are all wearing rose tinted specs. It is not a logical choice. Head says Japanese, heart says RE.

You wouldn't be paying 5k for an Indian Enfield. You would be paying for an Indian Enfield that has gone through importers QA. FWIW.

I would say go for it. If your lucky you will get one that someone didn't like as they wore rose tinted specs and can't get on with it. They sell cheap to get rid quick and you pick up a bargain. Worst case you then sell on for the price you paid.

Personallly, i would buy an older one. Iron barrel as they call them on here. They are around for between £500 and £1000. Bargain. I have no interest in the newer models.
A fair assessment, I think.  But getting an older model opens up a whole 'nother set of things, such as your toolbox and wallet and patience meter.  The UCE is not perfect, we know that, but compared to the iron barrel versions, is in a different league entirely.  imho, of course.

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 02:46:01 am
If you have to think about it,...if you have to ask.....consider a Honda Rebel.

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/rebel.aspx

rofl I traded in my 2006 Honda CMX250 Rebel I bought new and put 20,000 miles on towards my 2011 Royal Enfield B5. I am soooooo glad I did despite my iniial problems like 3 days in trashed starter and cracked stock exhaust with spit heat shield. Oh and a ton of nuts and bolts was shed. Blue lock tight etc and vynel lock nuts. I am now 2000 miles and starting month 2 of owning it. Awesome machine so much so that I am selling my 74 honda CB500 and 1982 Yamaha XJ650. Man nothing like a RE but stoping at gas stations can be tough because I get a lot of people aproach me and ask questions about the bike. I am 32 from the mid west (USA) and this bike has what I need for out here.
Signature

bman734

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 03:25:40 pm
Yes, as most have said here, once you have researched the RE, then bought it, you tend to fall in love with it. Mind you though, this is a bike for those who are not in love with speed and power but appreciate the vibration and thumper sound that these bikes provide. There is nothing like progressing through the gears at low throttle and letting the torque speak volumes through my efi muffler. Also, going up a hill and punching a little and hearing that single sing out with joy keeps my smile wide and sweet. I would recommend this bike to anybody. A must have if you are a true motorcycle enthusiast. It's also a great beginner bike as it does not encourage you to go at crazy pocket rocket speeds.
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 06:55:27 pm
Yes, as most have said here, once you have researched the RE, then bought it, you tend to fall in love with it. Mind you though, this is a bike for those who are not in love with speed and power but appreciate the vibration and thumper sound that these bikes provide. There is nothing like progressing through the gears at low throttle and letting the torque speak volumes through my efi muffler. Also, going up a hill and punching a little and hearing that single sing out with joy keeps my smile wide and sweet. I would recommend this bike to anybody. A must have if you are a true motorcycle enthusiast. It's also a great beginner bike as it does not encourage you to go at crazy pocket rocket speeds.

I am definately not in love with speed and power as I already have 2 Enfields, one with a 412cc Fuji Robin Diesel and the other with a 347cc Hatz Diesel  ;D ;D ;D

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 08:00:50 pm
I´m absolutely in love with speed and power and that´s why I´ve got my Bullet! It gives me the most possible interpretation of the topic  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

bman734

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: September 18, 2011, 03:27:00 pm
Well I had mine up to 77 mph for a short stretch yesterday on the freeway so you can get a speed rush too if you want. Of course I was hanging on for dear life and my half shell was wanting to fly off my head but it was still fun ! 8)
Suzuki SP370
Honda CX650
Yamaha XS650