Author Topic: front wheel stuck?  (Read 12142 times)

aikischmid

• Scooter
on: September 06, 2011, 10:39:07 pm
Ok, so I removed my front wheel to attach one of those cool front fender number plates on my new '11 G5 Classic. I followed the instructions in the owners manual, and everything went perfectly, looks great. But when I reattached the front wheel and took the bike off the center stand, it felt like the front end kind of slumped down, and the front wheel just wouldn't move.
Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea what I did wrong?
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 10:45:03 pm
Is the brake disc between 2 brake pads ? Is the wheel straight ? Does the front wheel rotate when bike is on center stand ? Are the nuts tight ? Can you wiggle wheel when on center stand ?

Take a few pictures and post.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:49:55 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 11:44:23 pm
 Did you happen to hit the front brake accidentally when the front wheel was off? If so your caliper pistons may be a bit over extended. If repeatedly squeezing the brake lever and rolling the bike doesn't free it up. They may have to be pushed back in manually.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:11:53 am
I know the owner's manual mentions to be careful not to hit the front brake lever, so I thought I was real careful not to during the whole process - but I suppose I may have accidentally hit it. Umm, the wheel's nice and straight, but even on the center stand the front wheel just won't turn, like it's locked up.
That disc brake is on the LH side, and it didn't even get messed with during the whole wheel removal process. Could I have flipped the spacers around during the re-assembly? I'm wondering if I should just take it off and try the whole thing again? (I did take some pics with my phone, just waiting for them to get sent to my email...)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:34:02 am
 Welp, if it is the brake pads squeezing on the rotor, you  should be able to look in there and see it. Any space between the pads and the rotor? Can you slide a business card between the pad and the rotor ? The thinest feeler gauge you have? Get the idea? I'm not sure if the wheel would go back on centered, if you had the spacer's flipped.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 12:41:26 am
Are you sure you put the axle and all spacers back in the proper order?  That will always lock a wheel up for sure.  Loosen the axle bolt and see if the wheel starts to come loose.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 02:32:07 am
I would think if the calipers had moved the pads out far enough to interfere with the disk it would have been impossible to reinstall the disk between them.

aikischmid
You did take a look at your new nuts and bolts on the number plate didn't you?  They might be interfering with the front tire.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 02:38:45 am
I did try loosening up that main axle a bit, but that didn't do anything. I'm too much of a noob to really tell if the brake pads are squeezing on the rotor or not. The bolts from the fender plate are definitely not interfering with the tire.
A good buddy of mine has got many years of riding and wrenching experience, so he's gonna stop by within the next couple days and have a look at it. And since the weather forecast for the foreseeable future is nothing but rain and clouds, I guess that works out just fine.
Of course, when I figure it out, I'll post about it!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 02:50:06 am
Could I have flipped the spacers around during the re-assembly? I'm wondering if I should just take it off and try the whole thing again?

That is a good point.  The spacer for the right side is different from the left side. Right side (Speedo hub side) spacer is a uniform round sleeve.
Left side (Disc side) spacer is a flanged bushing - 2 level surface.

Here are a couple of pictures.

The first one, starting from RIGHT side - Right fork leg, then Speedo hub drive, then right side spacer, then wheel -

coming to LEFT side - bi-level spacer (slimmer side faces wheel), then fork leg, then washer, then large nut.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 03:59:08 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 05:51:49 pm
In addition to what Singh posted, make sure the two little tabs for the speedo drive are properly located in the two little notches on teh wheel.  I'll try to post the exploded view from my parts catalog tonight,

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 06:23:22 pm
Remove the two bolts that hold the caliper on. Slide the caliper off the disk. If it won't slide off, you've found your problem, but I'll bet it will.
Then remove your axle and check the spacers and speedo drive. when you get all the parts assembled right, and the wheel will spin, tighten the axle nut, (make sure the tire still spins). Then replace the caliper. Do not tighten the bottom pinch bolts for the axle until you take the bike off the stand and work the forks up and down several times to align them. Tighten the pinch bolts.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 06:50:53 pm
I just removed the front wheel and assembled it today in order to mount new tires. I recognized that it´s pretty easy to miss these speedo tabs. If you loosen the axle nut the speedo drive must spin freely. If it doesn´t, it´s tilted.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 10:12:59 pm
In addition to what Singh posted, make sure the two little tabs for the speedo drive are properly located in the two little notches on teh wheel.  I'll try to post the exploded view from my parts catalog tonight,

@Scott - The catalog and manual pictures are sometimes hard to see and are usually not so clear. But I have my own pictures in my collection (They are clear) so I am posting them here. It will save you some trouble of taking pictures of catalog and then posting.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 09:09:27 pm
OK, so I must be getting somewhere. I removed the two flathead bolts on the side of the caliper. This revealed two hex bolts, that when loosened allowed me to spin the front tire.
So what should I do now? Should I stick something between the brake pads and the disc, and then tighten up those hex bolts again? And then try to remove the thing I stuck between the brake pads and the disc?
It's making some kind of sense to me... anybody know what I'm talking about? (Thanks again for everybody's help here!)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 09:26:36 pm
The two scres are just covers for the bolts.  Remove the bolts and you can take the whole caliper off.  Do that and hang it by a wire so it's not hanging on the brake hose.

Then tighten up the front axle bolts.  If it spins after tightening the caliper was the problem.

Look in the caliper, you should see the two pads.  Put a large, clean screwdriver between them and wedge them apart gently.  You will be compressing the pistons that press on the pads.  Once there's plenty of room re-install the caliper making sure the disc goes between the two pads.  Tighten the mouting bolts, put the cover screws back on.  Does the wheel still spin?  Good. 

Now you'll need to pump the brake several times.  It will go righ to the bar, don't be alarmed.  You're just moving the pads back to where they need to be.  Sooner or later it will catch and work again.  I think you'll be ok now.  Make sure to test it by pushing the bike by hand and using the brake to stop it before you go for a ride ;)

I suspect the disc is wedged in the caliper with both pads on one side, a minor re-installation mistake.  Ask me how I know ;)

Scott
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:56:39 pm by Ducati Scotty »