Author Topic: Another way to fit a cone filter  (Read 3011 times)

shappers

• Scooter
on: September 06, 2011, 01:23:31 pm
Hi y'all, shappers here.  A bolt on or at least a hose clip approach to fitting a cone filter
Here are some links
AP Motostore
http://www.apmotorstore.co.uk/silicone-hoses.html
180 degree elbow
http://www.apmotorstore.co.uk/silicone-hose-elbow-180-degree-sse-180-051.html
Connecting tube
http://www.apmotorstore.co.uk/alloy-joiner-ahj-051.html

The images show it fitted and the normal and an alternative way of fitting the oval cover.
Being as the hose could be shortened on the bottom it would hide the filter with the alternative fitting of the cover.

Cheers shappers

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 01:27:54 pm
Pretty cool, but I'm sticking with the original "Shappers Mod" :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 03:11:57 pm
Hi Hi, I found I needed a bit more room in that toolbox.  I can blank of both holes in the back now and probably take the engine breather up under the seat with a mini filter on it.

I also wondered what other C5 owners thought of turning the oval cover through ninety degrees. 

That cover is what gives the C5 its identity.  I've lowered my seat that much that it stick into my leg when I put my foot down.  the trials of being a short arse.

I would certainly like to retain it even without the box behind it, I found it no use as a toolbox, and quite like it turned round.

Cheers, shappers.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:26:24 pm
Sounds good to me.  You could also look for a nice round, chrome piece to put there if you're not after the tool box and just want to block off the ugly innards of the bike.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 11:48:18 pm
 Pretty cool indeed shappers. I like both idea's.  Interesting idea with the tool box mounted sideways.....I may try that. ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 12:14:04 pm
Hi y'all again. I've changed my mind.

Went for a blast no discernable difference.

But I'll still try and mount the oval cover the ususal way up with new brackets.

Cheers shappers.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 12:19:54 pm
Forgot to say I've cut the inlet from the the filter to the throttle body.  The white tape was an attempt to cut it square, mostly worked.

The oval toolbox mounting bracket is still required to support the rear of the throttle body.  I replaced the hose clip on the manifold/throttle body as the original wasn't up to the job.

shappers

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 09:04:25 pm
Good to see that great minds think alike!  I was going to do the same thing as in the first set of photos, I just havent been able to get up to the parts place.
Ton Up!

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 04:26:33 pm
I like your plan up top.. I wish I could have kept both boxes, but I lost my tool box. Thats a clever idea! I would suggest using a larger filter however. I ran it with a small cylindrical filter, and it ran fine, felt like stock:

Then I stacked on a second cylindrical filter like the one above as a test, and the bike REALLY opened up - quite noticeable improvement in throttle response and perhaps a tiny bit more power.. it just felt better. I ended up sourcing and using a 4"x4" cylindrical K&N filter and it feels great now. I use the EFI silencer. Here is a pic:

Before you discount your first idea, try a larger air filter.

Roch48

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 02:16:18 am
^ Where did you find / how did you make that air box / filter holder, its vary cool.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 03:11:14 am
Oh, thanks! Its a fairly old idea-  you can google ACE filter. I tried the ACE but was not happy with it, so I decided to make my own. If you check out my blog there are pics and things.. http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=8191.0;all

Its basically a stainless steel beaker that I cut down, welded a snorkel to, then sourced the 4" K&N filter, then used bits from a local auto store to finish it off (outer housing, 1/4-20 rods/nuts, and the bit from the air box to the engine is actually a piece of radiator hose that I cut down). The breather filter is also from the parts store. All in, I'm probably $75 in parts, and some welding time.