Author Topic: Build update  (Read 16175 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 09:27:43 pm
I think a mono would really strip it down and go further toward the minimal aesthetic you seem to be pursuing BUT you'll probably need to seriously beef up the swingarm.

Scott

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 10:25:09 pm
you cant really tell from the pics, but the rear is pretty damn strong, I threw it in a sliding jig, cut the arms from the stock swingarm at the pivot tube and the axleplates, stretched it 8" and welded in solid bar and two radiused tube crossbeams, one close to the tyre, and one halfway between that and the pivot.

running up to 85mph, she's still solid and there's not even a hint of shifting left to right

I don't particularly want to go to box section, or brace with another hoop unless I really have too, but the last thing I want is for things to go tits up at speed

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 10:14:15 am
I must admit, I've debated posting this for the last week or so, but I figured bugger it

ok, I know the Bullet isn't a crotch rocket
I know she sits happily at 65mph
I know if I wanted a faster bike, I should have bought something else etc.etc.

But.....
I am convinced she is capable of the ton

On the flat, in it's current form (front and rear fenders removed, 12" slightly baffled exhaust, 8" stretch) I can easily hit a gps verified 87 and then run out of puff. With a slight downhill, I topped out at 92, hitting the limiter

Next weekend, I am starting a mild teardown which when complete will consist of another inch stretch in the swing arm, monoshock conversion, power commander, custom header pipe, filter, 19T front sprocket, electric start removal, tool box removal, lithium 6a battery, tyres as well as some cosmetics

Now with the PC, filter, exhaust and a dyno run, I am expecting around a 20% hp increase, and hoping for slightly more.

Doing the maths, a 19T front will only bump up the gearing by 5.5% changing the rear hub was on the cards for a while, but I eventually decided against it, what that leaves me with is tyres

I'm now caught between a 130/90 18 Shinko 230 tourmaster or something similar, or swapping out the rear for a G5 19" wheel and running a 4.25 19.
Both of which on paper will get me to the 100 mark, with the 19 slightly in front (unconfirmed until I get real world dimensions)

the 19T and tyres together give an overall gearing change of around 15%

Wish me luck, Call me crazy or whatever

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 08:16:54 pm
It seems the gods are against me,

Me and the missus recently got made redundant after 4 years, right at the start of the quiet season. So the ton will have to wait until we pick up some more work.

Strip the RH casing ready to install the 19T which like the muppet I am, I left at home

The new brains, however the quick disconnects supplied with the PCV don't match either the domestic market or the euro spec bikes over here

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 11:50:33 pm
commiserations on the redundancy, all the best on getting a new job soon

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 11:58:23 pm
Wow, great build!! Don't know if I'd have the guts, yet...
Hope you find something soon!!
Good Luck!!
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 10:47:44 pm
Got a bit further in.
I traded a shock rebuild for a stainless straight pipe exhaust system
Fit a Twin air oil filter as a crankcase breather
Stripped the old airbox off
Cut the new seat pan

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 11:29:28 pm
Nice!! How's it sound with the straight pipe? Loud as hell?? Or major thump??
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 11:40:13 pm
Nice!! How's it sound with the straight pipe? Loud as hell?? Or major thump??
Both

tomorrow will be the big test, I took her for a quick spin, but the pcv was set way too rich. I could feel a hell of a lot more tourque just waiting to be let off the leash.
once she's dialed in on the dyno I'll know where I sit

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:49 pm
You might need torque cones if its a straight pipe

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 08:04:27 am
had the dyno run last night, but the powercommander is faulty >:( the rpm's spike up to redline randomly, feeding way too much fuel and fouling the plugs

Strangely enough, the stock ecu is rich enough to handle the filter and straight pipe

I have a sneaking suspicion that the intake length/ filter position is not allowing the required amount of air to get to the motor

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 08:26:50 pm
As I recall, others have noted the fuel injected bikes like to have a straight length between the air filter box and the throttle body.  Probably provides a laminar flow instead of a turbulent one that will choke the system.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 07:19:53 pm
Does that Power Commander allow you to eliminate the rev-limiter function of the ECU?
Is it programmable to do that, or just over-rideable? Or neither?

I
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 10:51:42 pm
I've been trying to keep out of this thread, but your swing arm
is going to do some serious harm to your body. It is just too thin to have any bending strength even it were solid steel. If you leave the shocks mounted at the ends of the swing arm. The worst force you have on them is twisting when you are in a turn. but even that will cause metal fatigue and you would have a good chance of the arms breaking at the pivot.
If you had left the stock shock on in the original mid mounted position, the arms most likely would have broken right behind the shocks. You need some vertical stiffeners on them to beef them up. That's why most modern swing arms are rectangular tubing at exceed 2" high or more. With the length you have extended you swing arm, you have added an incredible amount bending and twisting force to those small tubes.
I don't know how you are planning to mount a monoshock. But I would recommend you mount it like the Vincents and old Yamaha Scramblers of the 70s with a triangulated section that makes the swing arm look like a hard tail. That design would give you a massive increase in bending and twisting strength.
Don't wanna try to tell you how to built your bike, but don't wanna see you hurt yourself unnecessarily.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 06:55:09 am
.....your swing arm is going to do some serious harm to your body. It is just too thin .....

+1
+1
+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5