Author Topic: G5 Travels 17,000 Miles Today  (Read 5808 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 04:11:05 am
It surprises me that your silencer looks like new.  I have seen bikes with a lot less miles that have a cooked muffler.    Bike looks to be well cared for and I know it is.
Would a leaner mixture lead to more "cooking"?  When I had mine dyno'd it was rich across the spectrum and after 3k miles there is just the slightest hue on the OEM torpedo. 

Witness the opposite on Dirk's new B5 that was "broken in" on the programmed dyno for 50 miles.  The shop needs to rethink this type of break in, methinks.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 04:21:43 am
Would a leaner mixture lead to more "cooking"?  When I had mine dyno'd it was rich across the spectrum and after 3k miles there is just the slightest hue on the OEM torpedo. 

Witness the opposite on Dirk's new B5 that was "broken in" on the programmed dyno for 50 miles.  The shop needs to rethink this type of break in, methinks.

Well obviously a leaner mixture means hotter exhaust and more blue.

However the localized blue in that picture suggests to me that whatever cooling system is used by that dyno, it was not getting any airflow over the rear of the exhaust.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 05:17:25 am
Quite frankly, I think that dyno "break in" ran the piss out of that brand new bike!
The muffler isn't the only thing that tells me the engine was stressed way beyond what a new engine should be put thru.

The exhaust pipe (which we can hopefully assume was in the cooling air?) also is discolored way beyond my bike's pipe with 1400 miles on it, some of that mileage being at speeds of 75+ mph with the outside air temperature in the 105*F range.

That "break in" that Dirk's bike was put thru is one of several reasons I have my fingers crossed for him and his adventure.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 05:41:20 am
The dyno break-in is a stepped program, but seems too rushed to me.  I agree that there was probably not enough cooling air.  But they do blow a lot of cooling air into the chamber, however more needs to be directed at the pipe, for sure.

Dirk has been out of cell range the last few days.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 06:50:06 am
Yup, lean equals hot.  My pipe near the head is discolored like the one in the pic but my torpedo only has a purple streak about 1" wide 2/3 of the way back on the bottom side.  His is way, way more blued.

I had about 1500 miles on mine when I took it to Cali and back.  Four days at 12 hours a day.  I took breaks but it was many hours straight at about 50mph.  I'm sure that got the whole system hot.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 06:31:47 pm
For 50 miles, I would've gone out and ridden it for a couple of hours. Wait a minute, that's what I did! It's a 50 mile ride from the dealer to my house! It took me a couple of hours as most of it was on the urban streets. My pipe with 3200 miles has a very light blueing at the head and a little copper tone on the front of the EFI muffler. It's going to stay.
The dyno run showed it just on the rich side up to about 5000 rpm, then drifted over to the lean side, but still in the acceptable range.
Those guys who ran Dirk's had to have flogged the hell out of that engine to have overheated it that much. They should be flogged. I've never seen a pipe that blue. Well, I have, but extremely extenuating circumstances.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 06:37:33 pm
Even the biggest fans don't compare to a real 40mph wind for cooling an engine and muffler ;)

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 07:48:49 pm
That pipe looks like it has been MIGHTY hot!
So has that bike been "broken in" by some quick fix strap-it-to-a-machine method or something?
Bonkers! Why? It's such a pleasure breaking in a Royal Enfield on the road over a few weeks. They love it. You feel em gradually let go and loosen up.
That poor burnt bike is gonna get you back for that kind of treatment....... :(
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 12:40:48 am
That pipe looks like it has been MIGHTY hot!
So has that bike been "broken in" by some quick fix strap-it-to-a-machine method or something?
Bonkers! Why? It's such a pleasure breaking in a Royal Enfield on the road over a few weeks. They love it. You feel em gradually let go and loosen up.
That poor burnt bike is gonna get you back for that kind of treatment....... :(
I stopped at the shop while pedaling home from work today.  Patrick said their dyno break-in has built in cooling cycles and increased time ON to get the motor to break-in properly.  They do it all the time for their Duc's for buyers wanting such a thing.

I think the motor is fine, but they need to get a LOT of cold air forcibly sent to the torpedo around the CC. 

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 12:58:35 am
Hopefully they are not using a Ducati break in procedure and have created a program designed specifically for the Royal Enfield UCE.

Ducks are high speed engines .  Many of them produce their highest horsepower at speeds of 8,000-10,000 rpm.

I'm sure the Ducati's  brake in speeds are far higher than the old fashioned single cylinder Royal Enfield UCE.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 08:23:17 am
I'm not convinced that coolong cycles, however efficient, can equate to all-over outside air flow, but I don't live in a hot climate of course. But breaking in your bike is part of making it your bike isn't it? Probably I've got an old fashioned viewpoint. I sure wouldn't let anyone f*ck up  break in any new bike of mine that way...... ???  ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:27:50 am by WillW »

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 11:21:24 am
Isn't a part of the running in, for your benefit?

New bike, getting used to the feel, the handling, the noise etc. Then pulling up by a field, having a break whilst you look her over. See if anything is coming loose, is it all there? Having a roll-up for the smokers.

Then once cooled, continuing the journey, in peace.

This other way sounds too much like letting the squire "run in" your new bride!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 03:55:03 pm by Lwt Big Cheese »
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 12:43:26 pm
 :D  You got it..... ;)