Author Topic: G5 Travels 17,000 Miles Today  (Read 5774 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 05, 2011, 12:41:35 am
Keeping an eye on the performance of my G5.  Today it crossed 17,000 miles on the odometer.

I think that motorcycles made after mine will do even better because of improvements done by RE.

Clutch and throttle cables are original.
Brake pads (front and rear) are originals.
Speedometer cable is on its way out due to my mistake - It is functional but I will change it soon (may be later :D).

Parts Replaced So Far

Chain............................................ x1      
Battery.......................................... x2
Front Tyre.......................................x1
Spark Plugs...................................xMany
Air Filter..........................................x1
Fuel Line to injector........................x1

Front Drive Sprocket..................... OEM was fine but changed from 17 to 18 Tooth
Oil Pump Gear...............................OEM was fine but did 10K service at 15K
Oil Seal Crank Feed.......................OEM was fine but did 10K service at 15K

Speedometer bulbs.........................OEM were fine - switched to LED bulbs
Pilot bulbs........................................burnt out x2 - switched to LED bulbs

Unresolved Issues  (Threads are posted in UCE)

Slight leak of fork oil from left fork at the very top.
Slight leak of motor oil on top of engine - changed nut but made no difference for months. This week it seems to have stopped on its own !
Centre stand does not lift rear tyre off ground.

LOTS of TLC

Oil Changes.................................... 2000 miles or less
SeaFoam or / Lucas Fuel Additive Treatment....At regular intervals and as needed
Fork Oil Change...............................x1
Front Brake Cleaning.......................x2
Rear Brake Cleaning........................x1
Lots of cable lubing, chain lubing, washing,
ACF50 Treatment to prevent rust build up on chrome/metal nuts and on electrical connections / switches to protect from water
Silencer Underside Rust Spots ...........My mistake, ran in snow/salt but did not clean immediately. Removed most of rust with elbow grease, WD40 aluminum foil treatment.
Disconnected side stand switch
Activated Headlight / Park switch
Typical ride speed 30 - 60 mph ; No highway riding except for testing purposes
Electrical wires / connectors wrapped in tape/tubes to secure & prevent shorts
Fuel tank cap did not seal well, fuel came out of tank when full & stopped quickly - fixed with O-ring under filler cap rubber gasket
Enhanced rear visibility by adding red LED strips
Front visibility increased by adding white LED light modules on turn signals
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:01:15 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:48:29 am
Sounds good Singhg5, all in all I think the EFI's are starting to show that they are reliable machines and good day to day transport, with few of the problems affecting some of the earlier models.

Regards  :)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 05:49:58 am
Congratulations Singhg5.

I think your diligence in caring for you motorcycle is paying off with a good reliable bike that can be trusted to do whatever you need whenever you need it.

While I don't advocate  tearing into things just for the hell of it your systematic and careful approach to fixing or adding things says much about your knowledge and skill.
(Now, does that sound like some real brown nosing?  ;D)
Actually, I mean it and I think if some of the other members use the same approaches to "fixing" their bikes and they don't push it for all it's worth every time they ride, they will also have a reliable machine.

(Now, after saying all of that watch my bike leave me stranded out in the middle of the desert tomorrow.)  :-[
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:13:21 pm
Congrats!  But at nearly 10,000miles behind you I think I must now admit I'll never catch up ;)

Scott

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 05:17:24 pm
Congrats! Did I miss something or are you still on your original rear tyre?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 04:06:44 pm
are you still on your original rear tyre?

Yeah, original rear tyre - they are strong, durable and long lasting.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 05:31:32 pm
Congrats Singh Ji, you have a lead this time by 300 miles :)

Geezz you must be a sedate rider to be on the first tyre. Just got the third new 110 on the rear.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 07:02:25 pm
Congratulations on your epic mileage Singh. But 17,000 miles on the same rear tyre? :o
It must be down to the canvas!
Is there any minimum tyre tread legislation in USA? I know a lot of you colonial riders have a penchant for riding on suicidally knackered tyres, then I remember a lot of you poor souls live in places where there just aren't any curves or corners, so I guess it doesn't matter.... ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 07:07:02 pm
Congratulations on your epic mileage Singh. But 17,000 miles on the same rear tyre? :o
It must be down to the canvas!
Is there any minimum tyre tread legislation in USA? I know a lot of you colonial riders have a penchant for riding on suicidally knackered tyres, then I remember a lot of you poor souls live in places where there just aren't any curves or corners, so I guess it doesn't matter.... ;)

Maybe it is state law and not federal law.  But I think 2/32 inch is the minimum tread depth.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 07:14:35 pm
But 17,000 miles on the same rear tyre? It must be down to the canvas!

Here is a rear/side view, photo taken exactly 2 weeks ago. The rear tyre has tread - what do you think ? It is an Engilsh made  ;) !
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:17:17 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 07:19:04 pm
I'm astonished Singh! You must be a mighty careful rider  -  no bad thing.... ;)

We have to have 1mm minimum tread depth over 75% of the tyre width for the entire circumference.
But why would you need telling? There's little enough between a motorcyclist and oblivion or worse without gambling it on a dodgy contact patch.
I get about 3,500 miles from a rear AM26 Roadrider. They're soft, but they stick to the road like sh*t to a blanket, wet or dry and at any angle. I'd rather pay the extra... ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:23:29 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 09:28:07 pm
I get about 3,500 miles from a rear AM26 Roadrider. They're soft, but they stick to the road like sh*t to a blanket, wet or dry and at any angle. I'd rather pay the extra..

Holy crap, Singh's tire doesn't look much worse than mine with 3000 miles in it. No wonder those things don't stick! On the other hand, you notice it's not on the bike anymore! I'll take 4000 mile of sticky vs 17,000 of sliding down the road on my butt.
Actually, it was the Avon front tire that as giving me grief. that's the one that kept sliding around.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 10:27:54 pm
Reminds me of the old guys that used to get 50,000 miles out of their American Firestones. Now they are lucky to get 8,000 out of a Dunlop but they stick better than race tires of old. I'll go for sticky vs miles any day. Those Speedmasters look like they would be right at home on an MG-TD.

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 01:49:21 am
Here is a rear/side view, photo taken exactly 2 weeks ago. The rear tyre has tread - what do you think ? It is an Engilsh made  ;) !

Fook me, the old Avon Speedmaster tyre, that will probably outlast the engine!
Safe riding  ;D
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 03:22:54 am
It surprises me that your silencer looks like new.  I have seen bikes with a lot less miles that have a cooked muffler.    Bike looks to be well cared for and I know it is. 
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati