Author Topic: front wheel stuck?  (Read 12138 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 09:50:47 pm
Did you remove the brake assembly by taking the two bolts hat go through the fork leg brackets into the caliper? I'm not sure what bolts you removed. Are they the ones that release the pad caliper from the piston side, or the ones that remove the whole assembly? If you have removed the one side go ahead and remove the bolts that hold the whole assembly on, the two crown bolts that go through the fork leg mounts. If you have the entire side off you can just push the pistons back in by hand.  If you take the caliper off intact, you can stick a screwdriver between the pads and give it a twist. If the brake was actually locking up the wheel there may be something misaligned there. When you get the pistons spread a bit reattach the brake assy to the forks. Then is the wheel still turning?
If you have tightened them, loosen the two pinch bolts on the bottom of the fork that tightens the axle on the opposite end of the axle from the axle nut. The axle nut should be tight. Give the brake lever several pumps to get the brakes operating again, then take the bike off the stand and, holding the brake, push the forks up and down several time to get them realigned. Retighten the pinch bolts. You should be ready to go.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 09:56:24 pm
Good call Bare!  I think I'm thinking of the two allen bolts that hold the pads in the caliper.

Ignore my earlier post, I haven't had enough coffee today.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 09:56:59 pm
Scott,
I'd ask you how you knew, but I almost did the same thing. That was when I determined that removing the caliper when the wheel comes off was a much better option.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 10:11:22 pm
Yeah, it's such a hassle to get the disc right in between the pads.  Easier to yank the caliper, spread the pads, and just put it back with lots of room to spare.

Scott

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 10:46:11 pm
WE DID IT!
First of all I'd like to thank God, and my agent, my PR director, and my beautiful wife and family, but most of all I'd like to thank Ducati Scotty, SinghG5, Barenekd, and all my friends on the Royal Enfield Community Forum - I couldn't have done it without you. Oh and I can't forget to acknowledge Pete Snidal's UCE Bullet Manual for some great illustrations of the front caliper assembly.
So yeah, it's fixed. Thanks alot Ducati Scotty - I did just what you said, and it worked out just like you said. So I must've somehow activated that front brake when the front tire was off, and it got pinched and bound to that front disc. I just rode it around the block, and everything's back to cool.
Only 25 more miles and I'll be due for my first oil change (300 miles) - let's hope I can manage it without having to blow up this forum again!
Thanks again everyone - RE folks are GOOD folks!
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 11:08:08 pm
Good ridin', Dude! :D :D
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 11:19:28 pm
Glad it worked out and you're back on the road.  There's nothing worse than a broken motorcycle in summer.

Scott

drbvac

• Bulleteer
  • Low as it can go
Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 02:07:12 am
Good on you and the forum - thats why when I put my front plate on the fender I lifted the fender up - supported it with 2 blocks and didnt remove the tire ! Too much work to take it off to drill two holes and put on the plate  ;)
Dr B

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 03:16:27 pm
WE DID IT!

Only 25 more miles and I'll be due for my first oil change (300 miles) - let's hope I can manage it without having to blow up this forum again!

Great work Aiki, saw the picture you have posted on Photo Gallery.

RE's moto "Converting riders into mechanics for the last 100 years"  ;D !

About oil change, here is a link to a video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo0IW8JVS_I

Also there was a good write up by Arizoni on the forum that you can search or may be Arizoni can show you the link.  
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 06:30:15 pm
I lifted the fender up - supported it with 2 blocks and didnt remove the tire ! Too much work to take it off to drill two holes and put on the plate 

Unfortunately, for you G5 owners, that won't work. You can't get the bolts of the mounts because the wheel is too close.
Been there, done that. >:(
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 06:05:10 pm
So I successfully completed my first oil change at 300 miles. Nothing looked too bad or gnarly. A little paint, metal flakes. Tilted the bike back and forth a bit to try to get a little more out, was able to add about 1.7 liters of fresh 20/50 oil. Biggest pain in the arse was trying to get the spring-loaded cap mechanism back on after replacing the oil filter, but eventually got it done. Road it a few miles around town a little bit, no smoke or anything, rode great. So I take it I must've done it correctly!
Thanks alot Singhg5 - your video was especially helpful.
I'm considering ordering that EZ Oil Cap from NfieldGear (http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/e-z-oil-cap-uce.html)
Think it's a smart investment?
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 06:59:44 pm
Think it's a smart investment?

It'll save you most of the hassle you just went through the next times you change oil!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer