Author Topic: Fork shave  (Read 4138 times)

wokka

• Bulleteer
on: September 05, 2011, 09:07:19 am
Hi All,

Need some more advice before the hacking commences

I need to know if there are any surprises lurking beneath the front fender mounts on a '11 C5 (Indian spec)

As I have deleted the front guard, they are no longer required and would like to clean the lines of the forks up.

Current thoughts will be to use a grinder to remove the bulk (once disassembled) then finishing off with a lathe (using a 3 jawed chuck at the top and fabricating an adapter using the lower fender mount and axle mount to use a live center)

The lower fender mount will need to be finished by hand as I cant reach it with the lathe due to the axle mount

Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new set of forks?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 04:32:49 pm
I 've taken apart my American C5 forks.  I don't think you'll find any surprises in there mechanically but it's not the greatest metal.  You'll find many stories of people cracking the tops of forks while prying out seals because it's very brittle.  I suspect there may be voids in there too once you grind away the outer metal.

If you want to try it go for it, the worst that can happen is you'll need to buy a new lower fork.  I'd say a lathe is a little aggressive.  Start by just cutting a little away and file/sand the last bit.  Then fine sand and polish it all up.  It's soft metal, it shouldn't take long.

Scott

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:59:58 pm
Cheers Scott, I had another look today, (pics in the other thread) and it's not that bad. I mught just save a whole heap of heartache and just make a blanking plate and paint it drab olive to match the bike

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:47:24 pm
Or bolt on something cool!  Like razor wire and spikes! :P

Scott

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 09:17:18 pm
Or bolt on something cool!  Like razor wire and spikes! :P

Scott

um, ::) no.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 09:50:24 pm
Spoilsport! ;)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 12:21:16 am
meh ...

its a bobber just fit springers - or better yet girders,  telescopic forks are too modern

you know you want to

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 01:01:49 am
Holy crap those are awesome!!!!! Were they easy to install? How much did they cost? Better yet, how is the ride with the springer front?
Ton Up!

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 05:14:30 am
Holy crap those are awesome!!!!! Were they easy to install? How much did they cost? Better yet, how is the ride with the springer front?

Those pics are both girder not springer.

I haven't built a girder fork UCE Enfield myself as of yet, it is just an idea I have been researching on and off as a possible future project. My problem in Australia will likely be road registration issues. 

Girder forks seemed to fit the theme of the original posters bike so I thought I would throw them in as a suggestion  :D

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 05:56:52 am
I love the bobber!! I have been in the factory (very loose term) where the Indian forks are made. I refused to carry them because they are out and out dangerous. They have NO structural integrity. Please beware,
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 08:57:36 am
Thanks guys,

I love the look of the girders, but I would rather fabricate myself as I then know exactly what they are constructed from (instead of some cheese-like metal ::) )
It also means I can build them a little lower to get the stance I'm after

This will be my daily rider, so want to make sure that the ride isn't sacrificed for looks, so I'll see if I can find an old set of girders to use as a template, and get them across in my next container

Oh and Scotty, If you post pics of razor wire and spikes on your bike, I will too ;D

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 01:25:19 pm
Kevins on to something there. Just look at it!  What a piece of crap. Too bad though, the potential is there.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 02:16:53 pm
I love the look of girder forks but they need to be made super duper strong to hold up.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 07:14:38 am
The other thing that might help the "bobber" look is 21" front rims and drum brakes.

BTW ...  Hitchcock do a "half size" front drum for conversions like this but they also include a serious warning about it being unsuitable for safe everyday  road use.