Author Topic: Removing the wheels  (Read 1341 times)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
on: September 04, 2011, 09:50:04 pm
Today the weather was surprisingly well, so I made a couple of nice kilometers on some 3rd and 4th class roads. When the forecasted thunderstorm finally arrived, I returned home and disassembled both wheels. Tomorrow I´ll carry them to the shop to put on a new set  Avons AM26.
First I fixed the main stand with two lashing straps to avoid folding up. Then I filled a rucksack with ca. 8kg of water bottles and fixed it to the retainer of the bench to get a counterweight. So I could remove the front wheel with the bike now sitting on the rear one.
I took a car´s spare wheel, put a wooden board across it and placed it underneath the fork tubes. Removing the rucksack lowered the fork down on the board, at the same time there was more clearance for the rear wheel. It was not possible to put down the fron without the car wheel, because the mudguard is so long, it would touch the floor first and had to carry weight.
At this point a further advantage of mounting the rear axis vice versa emerged: now I could extract the axis towards the right side and when I was halfway through, the space washer on the left side dropped. The wheel was free now, and I could pull it out by tilting the bike to the right side. Brake and chain stayed untouched.
That was not even 30 minutes, with a minimum of dragging and pulling. Especially the rear was easy, the idea to just leave chain and brake where they are if you have to take out the wheel is extremly helpfull.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:54:25 pm
On my C5 if you remove the front wheel it tips back on to the rear on its own.  Clever balance in that RE engineering ;)  And that is a nice side effect of reversing the axle.

Scott

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 10:07:14 pm
[/quote
On my C5 if you remove the front wheel it tips back on to the rear on its own.  Clever balance in that RE engineering ;)
Scott

I had the strong and strange feeling that I was doing something what counltess RE rider have done before, all over the planet. Obviously there was some fine-tuning in recent centuries  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl