Author Topic: Finally Took the Plunge  (Read 3195 times)

indyogb

• .22 Bulleteer
  • Scooter
on: September 21, 2011, 02:22:54 am
Well, after three years of wanting, waiting, and whining about not having it, I picked up a new RE B5 today.  My first impression:  very awesome.  It is so different from my other bike (Honda Ascot).  I got my first "What is that? / What year" question while it was still in the truck on the way home.

I told myself before I got it that I would change out that ugly square fender, but, strangely, its already growing on me.  Of course, when it comes to vehicles, I apparently like "ugly" anyway(says my wife in reference to my "classic" '76 Impala  :D).

So far, only quirks I've noticed is that it doesn't seem to like to idle (or maybe its fine, never ridden a single before), and it didn't want to start after I made a quick stop (<5 minutes).  Hopefully I don't have any major problems, as the closest dealer is about 175 miles away from Indy.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:43:13 am
My B5 fires up within a few seconds with electric start, usually needing no throttle or choke. perhaps it flooded ?

Kick start, I tend to put it on center stand, kick through a couple of times with ignition off, switch ignition on, make sure lights are off and side stand up, kick through the "hard" point to TDC and then kick -- again without choke or throttle unless its virtually snowing.

AN NGK plug swap should help with idle, search the threads.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 03:11:37 am
Congratulations indyogb !  Looks good.

The idle speed as they come from the factory will smooth out a little as the bike breaks in.  Also, as GlennF said changing the spark plug out for a NGK # BPR6ES for about $2.50 will help a lot.
Part of the problem is the idle is set a little fast and the computer tries searching for the right speed resulting in a first fast, then slow, then fast then about die........
After you get 100-200 miles on it you may want to adjust the idle speed down just a little.
Do not mess with the cables or the stuff they are attached to.
The idle speed is adjusted down by turning the big brass screw that's located down in a hole on top of the injector body.
This brass screw is an air adjustment screw so turning it clockwise slows the engines idle speed down and turning it counterclockwise speeds the idle up.  About 1/8 of a turn helped my G5 a lot.

The break in speed is pretty critical so try to keep it under 40 for the first 300 miles.  Also, vary the speed and don't "lug" the engine trying to accelerate.

The engine is very "torquey" and will accelerate the bike nicely without over reving.

The gear shift takes a strong, positive movement to keep from finding a "false neutral" between the gears.  This is pretty common at first but it improves as the transmission breaks in.

Vibration isn't as bad as some bikes but it is always there trying to loosen the nuts and bolts so check them often to make sure they are still tight.

I know your going to love it so have fun!
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:12:52 am
Welcome aboard!  Isn't it funny how the ugly bits grow on us?  I hated the big, bulky tail light/license plate on my C5 when I got it.  Now I dig it, it just looks right.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:19:46 am
Hello indyogb and welcome to the REal world  ;) ;D ;D

Many smiles per gallon to you  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 01:03:08 pm
Hello indyogb,

Welcome to the forum, these bikes just get better as you put more miles on it, enjoy your new B5.

Terry
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

rbelyk

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 05:42:43 pm
welcome welcome :)
2010 Maroon Bullet Classic
custom 1953 Triumph

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window

indyogb

• .22 Bulleteer
  • Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 04:58:19 am
Thanks for the hospitality.  After 100 miles, the engine is already idling better.  I can see that I probably will have to slow the idle just a touch - it's definitely faster now.  The transmission is still a little quirky.  I've had a few missed shifts, and a couple of grinding/rattling sounds when shifting (not totally engaged in gear?).  It looks like that may be a common problem before break-in.  Hopefully it'll smooth out with some more miles.

I've had no problems starting at all since the one episode.  Must've been a fluke (or an ID10T error).  My only other "complaint" is that the mirrors are pretty good at showing me nothing but my elbows :).  That's OK, I think I might like the look of bar-end mirrors better, anyway.

The bike is truly awesome.  Nothing like thumping along on an empty country road, surrounded by nothing but corn fields and the blue sky.  And, oh, What a sweet sound it makes.  If I couldn't ride it, I think I could just sit on a porch swing and admire it for hours on end.

Thanks again, all.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 05:01:10 am by indyogb »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 07:42:45 am
They often start idling faster after break in.  Yes, bare end mirrors are great.  I like Napoleons.  Make sure you adjust the gear shift lever to a position that's comfortable for you.

Have fun!

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 07:03:02 pm
My bar ends.
Also my answer to the big blooty tail light.
The front fender is awaiting a replacement ,too.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 07:25:03 pm
Thanks for the hospitality.  After 100 miles, the engine is already idling better.  I can see that I probably will have to slow the idle just a touch - it's definitely faster now.  The transmission is still a little quirky.  I've had a few missed shifts, and a couple of grinding/rattling sounds when shifting (not totally engaged in gear?).  It looks like that may be a common problem before break-in.  Hopefully it'll smooth out with some more miles.
Congratulations! Shifting and idle will all improve significantly by the time you reach your second oil change. Many folks here have done oil and filter changes at 300 and 600 miles. Put in the NGK.....it will instantaneously improve starting and idle.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 03:50:38 am
Congrats on the new bike! They all seem to idle like crap till they break in a bit. Mine was rough too, but now it starts and idles perfect. I left my idle high initially just so it was a little safer and didnt stall. I think mine started running really well around 1000-1200 miles.