Author Topic: Primary Chain rattled - easy fix eliminated noise  (Read 5481 times)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
on: September 01, 2011, 12:42:57 pm
As I reported Precious´ rattle got louder during the last 2000 kms and I was concerned about the reason. After a 270 km-trip to a countrywide recommended RE-garage in northern Bavaria, the shop owner Flo Nytz, who is the only mechanic too, diagnosed the primary chain to be too loose and with a proper adjustment he not only removed a big part of unspecified mechanical noise, but also reduced load change play a lot! I got a brand new B5 from Flo for getting about while mine was maintained, so I had an exellent oportunity to compare. With the rumbling of the loose chain suddenly eliminated there is only the valve clattering left. It´s a little louder after 14´kms, compared to the new engine, but perfectly acceptable now.
Btw, I was surprised that the B5 has a different handlebar: a little more narrow, the ends bend down a little bit. It´s very comfortable, but not yet available in Germany - as well as all other B5 parts  ::)
I really enjoyed talking to someone who not only seems to have a lot of knowledge and experience, but just makes time to get things straigt. In case other European RE-rider happen to get to northern Bavaria, here´s the link:

http://www.enfield-motors.de/joomla16/

The drive sprocket´s shaft was not tight anymore, so the seal was replaced. The plastic swingarm bearings, that showed light play were replaced by the old rubber version that will work better, according to Flo.
In addition he mounted a spacer sleeve between the foot peg mounts underneath the engine to prevent, in case of a laydown to the left side, the nut that holds the peg to be pushed into the engine case.
Another tip: mount the rear axis vice versa. Every time it´s tightened it works itself into the mounting on the ride side. On the left side there is only the swingarm that seems to be more stable.
Modified and tenderly cared about, Precious ran tame as a lamb back home the next day, under white blue, postcard-like Bavarian sky and 25°C. Almost too good to be true  ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:33:21 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:33:46 pm
OUTSTANDING!!!!!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 03:28:49 pm
Nice to find someone who knows what they're at, huh? But was the auto tensioner faulty?
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:57:06 pm
1.The drive sprocket´s shaft was not tight anymore, so the seal was replaced.

2. The plastic swingarm bearings, that showed light play were replaced by the old rubber version that will work better, according to Flo.

3.  In addition he mounted a spacer sleeve between the foot peg mounts underneath the engine to prevent, in case of a laydown to the left side, the nut that holds the peg to be pushed into the engine case.

4.  Another tip: mount the rear axis vice versa. Every time it´s tightened it works itself into the mounting on the ride side. On the left side there is only the swingarm that seems to be more stable.

Modified and tenderly cared about, Precious ran tame as a lamb back home the next day, under white blue, postcard-like Bavarian sky and 25°C. Almost too good to be true  ;D

Glad to hear that your 'Precious' has been well taken care off and its loose Primary Chain was adjusted.  Just one question - What does 'Mount rear axis vice versa' mean ?

Thanks for all the information. I also looked at the dealer website - it was nice.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:59:38 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 07:03:05 pm
Will,
that was amazing! Finally I found a garage, who´s owner is just into RE. Great. To my surprise, there is no auto tensioner at my bike. Flo told me, that RE encountered difficulties with springs that prooved to be too hard, so they used a non-automatic tensioner in a series. Apparently an alteration, done within the series without clear documentation.

Singh,
Flo just reversed the rear axis. He told me - I described it wrong above - that he encountered defective wheel bearings on the right side before, since then he used to slide the axis in from the right side, so the nuts are on the left. I didn´t see the hub´s inside, so I´m just passing on the advice without knowing exactly how pressure acts on the bearing. nHowever, there is enough space.
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 07:40:03 pm
I don't know that reversing the axle like that matters to the bearings but it does make it easeier to get to the cotter pin :)

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 08:23:13 pm
It wouldn't hurt anything to turn the axle around, but I don't think I get the point. If you're adjusting your chain and have to loosen the brake hub nut, you're going to be running from side to side to take care of the nuts. It would be simpler to just handle them both on the same side.
As far as removing and replacing the cotter pin goes, when you install the pin just bend the pin halves out into about a 30 degree vee and cut them so about 3/4" so you can easily get ahold of the ends to bend them back straight and easily remove them. They don't need to be bent up against the nut or cut off flush. The only stress on them is the shear force between the nut and axle, and that isn't going to pull them out. the reason they get bent all the way up in  a lot of applications is to keep people from cutting their hands on them when they are working on a different item in the area. That's not likely with the location of the rear axle as there is no other reason to be reaching in there, except for cleaning the bike.
So, post a note "WARNING: Do not stick you hand in near the axle nut!!" ;)
the picture shows the pin halves a little shorter and bent more than I described, but you'll get the point.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 11:47:19 pm
Actually reversing the rear axle might make a big difference to chain adjustment with the upswept exhaust fitted.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 01:24:50 am
Ignore my earlier comment, I read too fast.  I see now, it's the brake/sprocket assembly that gets mauled by tightening the axle nut.  Yes, better to do that on the swingarm.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 02:41:37 am
Throw the cotter pin away and get one of these.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 08:30:42 am
That's the first thing I ever bought for my G5, right after the first chain adjustment. :D

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 09:19:23 am
I see in Bare´s picture that he´s got a fancy brake pad wear indicator. I didn´t see one in my country - is this an US special? Do the Brits have one too? Is it exact?
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 01:39:34 pm
That's the first thing I ever bought for my G5, right after the first chain adjustment. :D
Yep, me too..
Iron Butt Association

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 01:50:25 pm
My UK G5 doesn't have the brake wear indicator. I think it's US specific.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 11:50:27 pm
I just took the wheel and brake assy off to see how it put together and check the bearings. Everything checked out ok but im puzzled about how putting the axle in the other way would make a difference except maybe tightening the axle nut could tighten the brake nut as it turned. Not worth putting it in the other way imho.