Author Topic: Dirk's Big Adventure - Seattle to Virginia on a new B5  (Read 13643 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 12:51:31 am
For a one way effort, "epic trip" is a bit extreme. People who sailed what was then known as "epic voyages" were involved in round trips, not one way adventures. So why was this not a round trip?
Dirk, in Virginia, found the farthest RE dealer in the USA with a new B5, in Seattle. 

He flew here, bought it, and rode it home, in a scenic manner.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

bymilesthebest

• Scooter
Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 02:40:46 am
I bought my 2007 Bullet Classic from the nearest dealer to my home and eventually rode it from Virginia to California and back to Virginia for a round trip. This was something which I had wanted to do for a long time.

Bumbadawg

• Scooter
Reply #47 on: October 22, 2011, 08:04:40 pm
Sounds amazing. So do all new REs have the discoloration with the muffler? Does that mean if you dont like it you should change it out asap? Just wondering. Am getting an RE soon and I am not a fan of the heat color issue.

Thanks for any info and glad he had good and got home safe.

-Bumba

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: October 22, 2011, 10:47:01 pm
So do all new REs have the discoloration with the muffler? Does that mean if you dont like it you should change it out asap?

Not to the extent his did. He had the first 50 miles put on it on a dyno. The muffler wasn't adequately cooled. All the mufflers will blue in spots, or at least yellow. The blue can be removed with Blu Away, or other blue removal  stuff. Some people put forth the effort, most don't.
These bikes will do it a bit more than most modern bikes because of just having a double all in the pipe, but the mufflers don't have it. It can be a lot of unnecessary weight. The EFI muffler weighs about 5 pounds less than the stock muffler because it doesn't have the catastrophic converter.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #49 on: October 23, 2011, 12:09:42 am
I'' admit it.  I'm a wimp.  I don't push my bike hard and I don't run it up to its red line.

I do ride slightly faster than the traffic around me.  I do accelerate faster than most other drivers in their cages.  I did average 58 mph on my 400+ mile trip up to the northern part of my State.  I have ridden at speeds of 75 mph for distances of over 1 mile and I have about 2,400 miles on the odometer and my box stock torpedo muffler is not discolored at all.

The only discolored area on my exhaust pipe is around the O2 sensor and the blue/purple/yellow color extends about 7 inches down the pipe.

IMO Dirk's bike is a testament to the strength of a good design because it is obvious to me that during the "dyno break in" it was subjected to a lot of high speed wide open throttle running and damn near no cool off periods at all.
This sort of "break in" shouldn't happen to any machine.
It reminds me of what happens to your stuff when you lone it out to some stranger. >:(
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:12:08 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: November 01, 2011, 11:35:30 pm
It would be interesting to see what differences there are in the EFI settings from the factory.  You know that Enfield standard deviations are larger than the norm.

My C5's stock torpedo, with 3k on the bike, has the slightest of discoloration that is hard to see if you are not looking for it.  I'm pretty easy on the engine, though.

That dyno break-in sure wasn't.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #51 on: November 02, 2011, 03:36:23 am
So, prof:  We haven't heard a word about how Dirk likes or doesn't like his RE.

After riding it clear across the country I'm sure he formed some opinions about it.

Has he even ridden it since he got home?  Does it even run?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: November 07, 2011, 06:01:08 pm
So, prof:  We haven't heard a word about how Dirk likes or doesn't like his RE.

After riding it clear across the country I'm sure he formed some opinions about it.

Has he even ridden it since he got home?  Does it even run?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Dirk is a self-confessed luddite.
He loves the B5 and doesn't mind the seriously ugly pipe discoloration.