Author Topic: Intro - Big Guy on an Enfield?  (Read 15447 times)

Tony in Glendale

• Scooter
on: August 30, 2011, 11:27:58 am
Hi folks!  I'm thinking about a Royal Enfield as a re-introduction to motorcycling.  I used to ride a lot in the 1980s, had a Yamaha 550 Vision and a 750 Virago, but I haven't ridden in over 20 years.

I love the style of the new Bullet, as you may be able to tell from my picture I'm an enthusiast of things classic, and the Enfield comes by its classic looks honestly.  I'm also not afraid to do a little tinkering.

The thing is, though, I'm probably bigger than most Enfield riders.  I've lost about 60 pounds but at 320 lbs, I still want to lose another 40 or 50 pounds.  I know the Bullet isn't a speed demon, and I know that in India entire families ride them at once, but am I too big for one?  I'm planning to take a test ride, but I want to take the MSF course again (CMSP in California) before I do.  I have sat on a C5 and a G5 and they seem quite comfortable.  Most guys my size ride Harleys, but I'm not interested in a 700-800 pound bike.

Any larger riders want to share their experiences?
Previous Bikes
1982 Yamaha 550 Vision
1983 Yamaha 750 Virago

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 03:27:15 pm
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum! Your test ride of an enfield should tell you right away if its right for you. You should be able to find some hills and a stretch of freeway to try it out on to get a feel of the power. I ride two up alot on my G5 and we weigh combined about 375 with gear and it handles fine but is a tad underpowered at that weight on the freeway. We do fine but uphill with a headwind has us slowing but it's never a problem because there's always slower traffic to mix in with in such situations. I should add, not a problem for me, but some would find it infuriating to not be the fastest vehicle on the road when on a motorcycle. As far as the Enfield goes, it's GVWR is around 800 pounds and weighs a tad over 400 so no problem.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 03:28:19 pm
Welcome Tony in Glendale.   I am not a big guy but I am sure there are a few on this forum that will come along soon.  The RE being a single cylinder bike does have a lot of torque that will come in handy for a big guy.  Take a test ride and see what you think.   They are a not the fastest bike but are a lot of fun and always draw a crowd wherever you go.   A true classic!  

Good luck to you sir!

Terry   ;)  
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Raj V

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 04:21:39 pm
I'm not a large guy but often do pillion riding. I have these thoughts:

- You will need to adjust tire pressure to something suggested for pillion riding (20/30psi for B5).
- Adjust the shocks for pillion riding. Otherwise, they will max out easily.
- Somewhat unrelated, but, if you haven't ridden in a while, be patient during the break-in period and get to know the bike.

Request the first two items before a test ride.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 06:26:52 pm
I'm 6' and 220#, I fit just fine.  You may want to beef up suspension no matter what model you get at 320#.  I'd also say that on a C5 you may want to get beefier seat springs.  As you said, these things haul entire families and more in India.  If you're not needing to got 60mph up steep hills you should be fine.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 06:33:41 pm
Hi Tony in Glendale and welcome aboard and welcome back to motorcycling.

IMHO with the dizzying array of bikes and products and the education available now, we are in a another golden age of the good old days of motorcycling.

"C'mon in, the waters fine"  ;)

Be forewarned though these Bullets are habit forming  ;)
A test ride will tell you if you have "the disease"  ;D

There is nothing else like them on the roads or trails today.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:00:22 pm
HI, Tony in Glendale,
Welcome to the group.
Ya may have to shift to fourth to get up those hills at 60. It'll do it. ;)
bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

CoffeeAchiever

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 07:40:48 pm
Hi Tony and welcome to the forum! 

Glad to hear that you’re thinking of joining the Royal Enfield rider family.  Like you, I recently re-entered the motorcycling fraternity.  Also like you, I’m not exactly height/weight proportional so my experiences with my new G5 might be helpful to you. 

First of all, the only way that you will know if a Bullet is the right bike for you is to ride one.  Definitely take the MSF rider course and get your motorcycle endorsement.  You’ll need it to test ride a Bullet.   

There are many threads on this forum that go into detail about the character of British single cylinder engines.  Long stroke singles may be low on total horsepower but they more than make up for this in torque - at least for me.  My G5 practically leaps from stoplights!  I have had no problems keeping up with a Harley Davidson Fatboy, Honda Shadow 750 or 1100 in town.  Highway riding will likely be a different story but I haven’t fully broken-in my G5 ‘s engine yet.  For what it’s worth, I’ve observed from reading this forum for over three years that most Enfield riders really don’t care what other people think.  We bought our Bullets because they impress us, not other riders who just don’t get it. 

Your style concerns are a litter harder to address.  Royal Enfields are relatively small motorcycles.  There’s just no getting around it, a big guy can look like a circus bear riding a small bike.  Jay Leno recently reviewed the latest G5 Deluxe on his “Jay Leno’s Garage” website.  If you haven’t already seen the review you should.  There is a link to it on the home page of Classic Motorworks - the host of this forum.  Jay Leno is fairly big and tall.  To me at least, Jay looked fine on the G5.  In my opinion, the G5 and new B5 appear larger than the C5.  Maybe its just an optical illusion or perhaps the 19 inch wheels on the G5 and B5 make these bikes look larger than the C5 with its 18 inch hoops.  In any case, you should visit your local Royal Enfield dealer and sit on all three bikes.  Only you can decide which one is best for you. 

Royal Enfields themselves have style, no doubt!  You will attract attention riding a Bullet, though if you are an extrovert, possibly not the kind of attention you hope.  As my wife would tell you, I am not exactly a GQ kind of guy.  When riding, I wear a modern, armored mesh jacket and pants, old rubber sole cowboy boots and a white full face helmet.  Nobody I’ve met while riding my Bullet has ever commented on my dorky outfit or portly stature but they sure comment on my gorgeous bike!  If you crave attention yourself, you won’t get it riding an Enfield.  The Bullet will be the star of the show.  Also, if you’re the shy and unassuming type, afraid of strangers with lots of questions then by all means, do not buy a Royal Enfield!  I can’t fill up my gas tank without fielding questions from riders and non-riders who want to know where I got my bike, how long it took me to restore it, etc.  Bullets are show-stoppers! 

Anyway Tony, I hope you test ride a Bullet and let us know what you think.  My G5 makes plenty of power for my riding style and she handles like a dream.  Once I break her engine in properly, I plan to swap out the stock 17 tooth drive sprocket for the larger 18 tooth sprocket to raise the final gear ratio.  She makes more torque at low speed than needed and I’d rather have more top end headroom.  Unless you are a speed demon or plan to spend long days droning across the super slab, you’ll probably love riding an Enfield.  Get your motorcycle endorsement and give one a try!
2009 G5 Deluxe "Domino"

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 09:10:43 pm
Tony-
I'm probably the biggest guy you will see on an Enfield but i despise harleys. Anyway, i've got you by a few lbs. and im rather tall. So....yes the top speed on freeway will be reduced. I dont ride on highways much because i dont need to, even in my car. 65 no problem, though. Also I do find myself wanting another half inch or so of leg room at 6'2". not sure if pegs can be dropped at all, Anyone??? So,I say take a test ride, and if you like it, buy it. they are fun as hell. I have a G5 and like the look and the 19" wheels over the C5.   And be ready for the idiots asking "Is that bike a little small for you?"
And good luck with the weight loss, i know how it is!!!!

BTW anyone notice how small harleys are these days, i mean except for the 25,000 dollar ones. You are getting very little for your money.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 09:36:35 pm
Congratulations on your weight loss Tony.  I fight that battle also.  Here is a motivator for you...........I've read that 7 lbs equals 1 hp, now there's a cheap way to hp.
Oh yes, I think the new RE would handle your weight just fine.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Tony in Glendale

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 11:17:37 pm
Thanks for the welcome folks, and thanks for all the good info.  I did see the Leno thing, and noticed he chose the G5 and didn't look out of proportion on it.

I'm leaning toward the G5 for various reasons, but I will try both. 

I used to ride motorcycles on the freeway a lot back when I was riding, but I don't think I'm that brave any more.  That and the freeways have deteriorated a lot in the past 20 years around here.  If I get an Enfield I'll mainly be sticking to the back roads, but it's good to know I can go 65-70 if need be.

Previous Bikes
1982 Yamaha 550 Vision
1983 Yamaha 750 Virago

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 11:58:45 pm
+1 on the advice to test ride one.

Remember there is some scope to adjust ride position if need be. The footpegs, at least on my B5, can be swung back, its relatively simple to change the seat on an Enfield for something higher/lower or sitting further forward/back and if you are taller you may find slightly wider and higher bars can make a difference.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 01:09:40 am

I've read that 7 lbs equals 1 hp, now there's a cheap way to hp.

There you I go !
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:37:22 am by 1 Thump »

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 02:27:13 am
Welcome to the world of RE.    I still chuckle to myself when I watch the Jay Leno video. Its an excellent product indorsment video no doubt, for an excellent line of motorcyles... But has anyone else noticed how far below his 'full face helmet' his chin sticks out when he's riding?  Watch it again and see... Lol
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Tecomakeith

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 02:50:22 am
Hi Tony,

I'm what some call a big guy and I ride a C5. At 6 foot tall and weigh 300 pounds it rides fine on both freeways and normal roads.  ;D Take a test ride you'll love them. :D

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 05:02:44 am
And Tony:  I think most of us agree that Jay must have twisted the throttle to open it up a little when he was trying to start his RE.

Had he just turned the bike on and let the computer boot and then pushed down on the kick starter without turning anything it should have started first kick.   :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 08:42:39 am
But has anyone else noticed how far below his 'full face helmet' his chin sticks out when he's riding?  Watch it again and see... Lol

Jay is a big guy, tall, heavy.  He makes the RE look a bit small.  He makes the sidecar look downright tiny.  And yes, I noticed his chin too the first time I watched the video.  It's no secret he has a big chin but I was a little surprised it was that big.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 06:19:57 pm
I've read that 7 lbs equals 1 hp, now there's a cheap way to hp.

If you  have a 100 hp and your bike nets out at 700 lbs, 7 pounds will equal one hp.

If you have a 19hp G5 that nets out at 600 lbs, (my bike) it takes more like 32 lbs to equal 1 hp.

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 07:26:42 pm
sounds good, i need to lose 35lbs. anyway :)

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 08:55:33 pm
If you  have a 100 hp and your bike nets out at 700 lbs, 7 pounds will equal one hp.

If you have a 19hp G5 that nets out at 600 lbs, (my bike) it takes more like 32 lbs to equal 1 hp.

Bare

Now you're getting all techie on me.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Tony in Glendale

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 10:52:45 pm
I just knew I was gonna love this place  ;D
Previous Bikes
1982 Yamaha 550 Vision
1983 Yamaha 750 Virago

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 11:01:40 pm

Bare

Nice try Bare.

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 11:32:12 pm
Well, I'm 6-4 and bigger than you guys.
For me, the C5 is most comfortable to ride. You really need the factory passenger seat so you can scoot back a tad and lean on it. Big improvement.
I really thought the G was going to be "my bike" but the tall gear and springy seat of the C makes it just plush. You just float along.

For a G to be mine, long term, i would fit the AM26 Avons like the C has, put the larger countershaft on, and maybe have Corbin do a bit less stepped seat.

Like any new bike, adjust the shifter to fit your feet, adjust the levers and mirrors.

Power? a non-issue. It gets my big butt up to 65-70 briskly without dinging the rev limiter. Just rev her a bit and keep shifting.

If you don't mind driving to Fresno, we have a demo C and G for you to try out. We also have our remaining 2011 C5's discounted. Plus, our 2011 Green G5  demo is discounted as well.
 Pictured are three big ones! Kevin Mahoney, Me, and Olhogrider here at our open house.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:00:34 am by Tri750 »
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Tony in Glendale

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 01:51:39 am
Yeah, I'm not super tall, just around 6 feet even, but I have a huge frame.  I got down to 275 back in 1999 and actually looked pretty svelte at that weight.  Leno looks big on the G5 in that video, but  not ridiculously so.

I've always been a fan of torquey engines, which is a big reason I'm interested in an RE. 

I first watched the Leno video some months ago, it's a lot of fun and they did a great job of capturing the Enfield's sound.  I've been to NoHo Scooters and sat on the G5 sidecar rig shown in that video, as well as the teal C5 demo.  My only problem with the C5 was that my butt hung over the back of the seat, but that was several months and 60 pounds ago, so I'll have to drop by again.  I hope they also have a B5 next time I go.

Previous Bikes
1982 Yamaha 550 Vision
1983 Yamaha 750 Virago

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 01:54:14 am
Factory pass. seat= fixes the spillover.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 02:49:32 am
My only problem with the C5 was that my butt hung over the back of the seat...

How much?  I'm 6' tall and find that if I try to have my whole butt on the seat I'm way too forward.  It takes a little while to relax and realize that your tail bone over the fender is fine so long as the lower portion of your behind is on the flat of the seat.  It feels like you're going to slip off the back at first but you won't and you get used to it.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 02:50:51 am
Pictured are three big ones! Kevin Mahoney, Me, and Olhogrider here at our open house.

Now I feel downright skinny.  "Why yes!  I will have a second helping of cheese fries!" ;)

Scott
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:17:24 am by Ducati Scotty »

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 03:30:41 am
Gasp...passenger seat.....cough...must have passenger seat....
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 06:18:58 am
So after an extra large helping of baked ziti tonight I'm feeling less than skinny.  But I'm still craving cheese fries.  Or even better, poutine!

Scott

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 07:29:49 am
Tony, as you know these bikes(RE) can pull a side car. Not sure what the top end speed is with the weight and friction of a side car. (50 mph?).

I my son and I have ridden 2 up (450 lbs). Can do 55mph easily. I wouldn't want to ride all day like that.

My friend fits your description (large frame person). He rides a H-D Sporster 1200 with all the power and room he needs to ride any distance.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 02:39:24 pm
Lots of good replies already, I'll add my $.02
I'm 5'11" and 250 pounds.  I have had my C5 for over a year.  Love it.  Do I look like a circus bear on it?  Don't know, don't care!  I live in the country, the nearest divided highway is almost 60 miles away.  This bike is perfect for commuting to work on secondary roads and just general "around town" riding.  I was much like you when I bought mine.  Hadn't been on a bike in decades.  I think my C5 was an excellent choice for a "get back on the road" bike
Tim

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 05:22:54 pm
Tony, as you know these bikes(RE) can pull a side car. Not sure what the top end speed is with the weight and friction of a side car. (50 mph?).

Well,  My iron barrel with a 30mm carb, open exhaust and air filter and down a tooth can pull a car at about 55 or 60 mph max WOT on a flat.  I imagine a UCE could do 5mph better or so. 

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Tony in Glendale

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 11:27:21 pm
Still haven't pulled the trigger, but I stopped by NoHo Scooters in North Hollywood Cal and sat on a few C5s and the one B5 they had.  I've lost quite a bit of weight since I last sat on one, it fits way better now.

Here I am, sorry for the bad cell phone pic:

Previous Bikes
1982 Yamaha 550 Vision
1983 Yamaha 750 Virago

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 11:31:06 pm
The shirt has to go!  To have a RE, one must be cool at all times.
Note that the 2011 models have a deal going. 300.00 off.
We have 1 Black and 1 Teal C5 on hand.
Pull the trigger, join the fun!

Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 08:42:19 pm
Hey, Tony,
Good to see you're still out there! You're missing a lot of great rides. Hope you can join us soon.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 08:46:19 pm
tony: shirt can stay if u get that red c5 in the pic...... ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

Tony in Glendale

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 09:01:09 pm
Not feelin' much Aloha spirit around here...  :D

Yeah, I do dig the Royal Maroon, but the military green one was the only C5 they had with a kick start, the other two were early 2011 models I guess.  Finances are the only thing holding me up now, business has been tough but I'm hoping it will pick up soon.

Also want to see if we get the non-offset forks and 19" front rims on the C5 in the US soon, a little more trail can't hurt for those occasional freeway rides.

Previous Bikes
1982 Yamaha 550 Vision
1983 Yamaha 750 Virago

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 09:25:25 pm
Dont think you need to worry bout the weight Tony. I'm 6'2 and 260, do have to scootch back a bit on the seat and lean forward to not become a sail at 70+mph but the bike has an excellent power band in the mid ranges and climbs hills without to much problem.
First time my exwife saw me on the bike she said " Isnt that thing a little small for you? " and I replied " Your Mama! "
Sure, you could get a 800 pound harley monster and fit that american "everyman" mold, but you seem like a guy you thinks for himself. So screw what everyone else thinks and do what makes you feel good.  ;D

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 10:56:27 pm
OK, youse guys,
I'm tired of hearing about being to big for the bike. Here's a picture of me and some riding buddies in 1967. We're all on Bultaco 250 Matadors except Frank, who's on a 360 Maico.
The subjects at hand are me, I was in the Navy at the time in Pensacola in the Helicopter Training Squadron. Tiny Yarbrough, 300+ pounds, Robbie Robinson, the mechanic at the BSA/Bultaco dealer in Pensacola, Jody Nicholas of road racing fame, then in the Navy learning to fly helicopters, and Frank Butler, who had a hot rod shop and was the Maico dealer. Tiny hung in there with us every place we went. We did a lot of woods riding up into Alabama in those days. Great times, rode a few enduros and raced some scrambles with the old Matador. I moved on to a Pursang next.
The point is, just because you're big doesn't mean your motorcycle has to be. Tiny always had a great time with us.
Bare
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:59:00 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: January 05, 2012, 11:07:51 pm
Bullets in India seem to be thought of as macho male only bikes unsuited to small riders and women,  so its all a matter of perspective.

Just because you Americans tend to want to up-size everything and ride motorcycles fitted with tractor tires that are built like Kenworth trucks is beside the point :D The issue should be not how you look but whether you feel comfortable riding the bike.

Note that on a Royal Enfield the rider him/herself just gets ignored anyway and everyone just drools over the bike so appearance is a mute point.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012, 11:22:33 pm
Not me, man. The biggest bike I ever owned was a Yamaha ThunderAce. In fact, if I average out the size of bikes I've owned in the last 50 years, it comes out to about 495ccs.
I owned a few of bikes that weighed in the 550 range and didn't particular like any of them.
 I like to keep them at around 400 generally.
My favorite cars were Brit sports cars and my late Miata. The only big car I ever owned was a '59 Buick that my parents coerced me into buying. I wanted a TR3 or MGA.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer