Author Topic: Life expectancy of the drive chain ?  (Read 4260 times)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
on: August 29, 2011, 11:44:43 pm
Hi all, just an inquiry. What mileages are the original drive chains lasting on the UCE Models, mine's a 2009 G5 with 6500 km's (about 3600 miles ). To me the chain seems to loosen up after only a couple of 100 km's. Just curious.

Cheers from down under.  :)

commonbear

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 12:07:05 am
My local dealership told me to start thinking / planning to replace the stock chain after 2000 miles or there abouts.

Being a mechanically disinclined individual I have no idea if that is about right, or if they're just trying to fleece me for more cash, but that is what I was told.   ;D
ZenCrafters.  Total enlightenment... in about an hour!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:24:43 am
Mines and Iron Barrel 5 speed, not a UCE but it does use a chain  ;D

Got almost 6,000 mi out of the factory chain, getting 8,000 to almost 10,000mi  out of the RK, Tsubaki and DID chains.

Riding environment, care and use (or abuse) are the big factors in chain service life.

I clean and lube mine weekly ( and sometimes weakly )
 It can be a chore, sometimes PITA keeping chains cleaned and lubed like that.

If getting greasy and staying greasy is not ones cupppa tea 2,000 to 5,000 sounds like a good guess.

A good x ring sealed chain with some DuPont spray lube would be the way to go IF there is a enough clearance in the front sprocket cover area to fit one.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:32:40 am
I've got 3200 miles on mine now. I suspect it should go for 6-8000 miles. I only got 8000 miles out of the OEM chain on on my Triumph Sprint RS, an O-Ring chain. The Tsubaki I replaced it with went almost 35,000. My original Speed Triple OEM chain made it to 11,000. The replacement got 33,000.
Bottom line is never replace an OEM chain with another one. Cheap chains suck.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:49:33 am
Amen !!

Back in the day When O ring chains came out we jumped on board and installed them on our Suzukis and Yamahas and with prudent care got an average of 20,000 miles before the O rings were shot. After that, maintaining them in the same fashion as non sealed chains got us an additional 10,000 miles before they were completely worn out.

Modified to add:
 words in Italics
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:57:28 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 01:48:48 am
There are several members here with 10,000miles and still going strong.  I took good care of my my C5 o-ring chain and it was shot at 6500 miles.  Mostly they're pretty good but a few fail fairly early.

Keep an eye on it.  If you've done 3 or 4 adjustments already it's probably done regardless of mileage.  Worn chains wear sprockets beyond being usable.  If you replace the chain early it won't kill the sprockets and you don't need to replace those at the same time.  A good non-o-ring chain can be had for about $40 and will almost certainly oulast the stocker.  I'd say it's worth pithcing the stock chain early to save yourself having to buy and install sprockets but that's just my opinion.

FYI, the REs use a 530 size chain.  Length depends on the model and is listed in the owner's manual  The C5 uses an o-ring chain, all other models have a non-o-ring chain.  You cannot fit o-ring chains on the non-C5 models, they are too wide.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 03:19:30 am
12,170 and counting on my C5 stock chain, it's all in the wrist  :D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:29:37 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 03:37:45 am
At 2,700 I have adjusted the chain one time and it is not yet ready for another.  I keep the Klotz chain lube on it with regular re-lubes.  Yes, it might be in the wrist as well.   :D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 03:40:17 am
I should add that I lube it every 300 miles or once a week, which ever comes first.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 06:27:09 am
Thanks for the imput guys, just lately I've had to travel over road works each day , a lot of mud and shit where they water the road, might have something to do with it.

Cheers  :)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 07:13:49 am
Back in the day (when I lived on the edge of outback NSW, a place called Moree) I had a series of shaft bikes (GT550, XJ900 etc) for exactly that reason. 

Now I live closer to civilization and don't spend so much time on dirt back roads fording flooded creeks I am happy enough with a chain. Though I am thinking about enduro/trials tires on the B5 next change.

The oldschool solution to using a chain on dirt was to boil the chain in a pot of special wax every once and a while. No one bothers much with that these days.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 07:30:56 am
Better living through chemistry! I use a brand that sprays on wet, then solidifies. Made for off road.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 07:33:35 pm
The oldschool solution to using a chain on dirt was to boil the chain in a pot of special wax every once and a while. No one bothers much with that these days.

Used to do that when I rode dirt bikes. When I was racing that was an after race job on on every occasion.
I have a chain brush now, available at a lot of bike stores. It has three brushes, one for each side and one for the top or bottom run depending on how you put it over the chain. The thing really works quite well. Tis well worth the effort it takes to keep the chain a bit cleaner. Spray some solvent on the chain while using the brush will amaze you. Don't forget to lube afterward though.
bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 08:42:41 pm
I got 10,000 out of the standard one but only out of bloody mindedness and being prepared to lube and adjust it every 2-300 miles, clean in situ every 500 miles, remove and soak in white spirit every 1,000 miles. The replacement hasn't even needed adjusting yet. It's way below the quality of Tsubaki, DID and all the rest of them and probably not worth keeping unless you're as penny pinching as I am.  ;)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 07:15:01 am
Hi again guys, just had the bike to a local motorcycle shop. (Big on Chinese machinery)
I've been looking for some clinking type rattles coming from somewhere under the bike. Also noticed that the bike was very jerky coming off the throttle and down changing and on some occasions the gearbox was locking up between gears. This has been going for a couple of weeks. Cut to the chase. Upon inspection there was 2" side play on the chain  :o, and almost as much on the slack on the stand. Nowhere near enough room for adjustment. I might point out that I only adjusted the chain at about 4000km and it seemed fine ,lubed every 500 km or so , now at 6400 km it's rat shite. Hoping the new chain going on tonight will go towards sorting the other problems manifesting them selves lately. Will let you know.

Cheers  :)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 12:44:26 pm
I've decided to quit pushing my luck and replace mine this week.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 03:15:06 pm
If you made it this far I'd say you got a good one.  The only thing you're pushing is your butt down the road ;)

Scott