Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 277151 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #930 on: September 09, 2018, 03:09:29 pm
Did a bunch of tuning last night and have a map built for the PC-V that I'm really happy with.  Bike is running like a freaking champ!   :D

The original map I downloaded was way too rich.  Last time I tuned, bike was running fine in the hot summer weather.  But now that the temps are dropping off,  I was getting some misfires.  So, back to the computer it was.  This was the 5th map I built this weekend, but overall is the 13th map that I've built.  I know I used to talk major crap about fuel injection, but tuning with a PC-V is so fun and easy.  Well, if you actually understand tuning it is.   ;)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #931 on: September 19, 2018, 03:57:54 am
A new bike in the stable--83 BMW R80ST to replace the K bike--Lighter and more agile for this old man

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #932 on: September 19, 2018, 03:54:39 pm
Nice! Congrats on the acquisition!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #933 on: September 19, 2018, 09:18:40 pm
Good looking bike there Scotty!

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #934 on: September 24, 2018, 06:26:40 pm
Got my daughters "nearly vintage" 03 Ducati 620 Monster back from the local shop (used to be the dealer).   Wouldn't start - fuel issue.    Fuel pump was fine but the 15 year old plastic mesh filter screen had deteriorated as had the "rubber" hoses inside the tank.   Who knew they used "rubber" hoses inside the tank?  Have used fuel treatment from new and methanol free gas since it became available here in Waco a couple years ago so no rust in tank.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #935 on: September 24, 2018, 06:42:31 pm
Got my daughters "nearly vintage" 03 Ducati 620 Monster back from the local shop (used to be the dealer).   Wouldn't start - fuel issue.    Fuel pump was fine but the 15 year old plastic mesh filter screen had deteriorated as had the "rubber" hoses inside the tank.   Who knew they used "rubber" hoses inside the tank?  Have used fuel treatment from new and methanol free gas since it became available here in Waco a couple years ago so no rust in tank.

Have been restoring a tank from a Triumph TT600 this summer. We have about 10% ethanol in the fuel. No big surprise there was about one pound of rust in it and the fuel pump was gone. Two days in citric acid blend solved the problem exceptionaly well, it's as good as a new tank.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:50:04 pm by oTTo »

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #936 on: September 24, 2018, 11:05:39 pm
What's the recipe for the citric acid blend, Otto?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #937 on: September 25, 2018, 12:00:21 am
Have used fuel treatment from new and methanol free gas since it became available here in Waco a couple years ago so no rust in tank.

Methanol free  ??? ??? :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #938 on: September 25, 2018, 08:05:15 am
What's the recipe for the citric acid blend, Otto?

About 1/2 pound of citric acid powder, just throw it in the tank and fill full with water and mix. Let sit for 24-48 hours. It does true magic.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #939 on: September 25, 2018, 11:58:28 am
Thanks. I'll give it a try some time.
I fooled around cleaning an old CX500 tank today. It had rusted previously and a PO had used some kind of tank sealer product. It was flaking off really badly. I ended up pulling great sheets of it out the filler neck. Gawd knows how much is still in there.
Before this I'd stripped the tank to bare metal and lead filled the rust holes along the bottom seam before painting. Hope I got them all. No leaks so far.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #940 on: September 29, 2018, 02:01:13 pm
Funny, this last weekend I too was replacing the fuel lines inside my tank.  No issues with rust, in fact my tank looked spotless.  But I just turned 53K miles and the service schedule calls for replacement of the fuel filter and lines at 50K miles.  It's about $200 in parts to go OEM, but I went Drag Specialties and only spent about $55 with my employee discount, retail would have been about $70-$75.  Only difference was the Drag check valve line was about 3-4 inches shorter than stock.  Not a big issue and still got it to work fine.

Was still chasing a misfire that was progressively getting worse, so also cleaned the crank position sensor while I was in there.  Actually replaced the temp sensor the previous weekend.
 Then as I was buttoning her up and about to put the seat back on I checked the battery terminals......  They were both loose!  DOH!!!   >:(  For the last 8 years I've been working in the automotive and power sports industries and constantly preaching to check the battery terminals.  "How about you practice what you preach, Scottie!?"   ;D

Anyway, the bike has been running fantastic all week.  BUT, the temps are dropping into the 40's and 50's so now she's getting thirsty and has a slight hesitation off of idle.  So, going to go into the map and add 3 clicks of fuel at 5% throttle and 1 click across the board, and maybe 2 clicks at 100% throttle.  Just about ready for an oil change too, and will probably do the primary fluid with it, and go in and replace the primary chain tensioner shoe.  Also thinking of changing the battery terminal bolts to 8mm head flange bolts so I can actually get a ratchet wrench on them, and a drop of Loctite so they don't come loose again.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #941 on: September 29, 2018, 02:18:38 pm
Here's my new "Fall" Map I came up with.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #942 on: September 29, 2018, 02:20:45 pm
Funny, this last weekend I too was replacing the fuel lines inside my tank.  No issues with rust, in fact my tank looked spotless.  But I just turned 53K miles and the service schedule calls for replacement of the fuel filter and lines at 50K miles.  It's about $200 in parts to go OEM, but I went Drag Specialties and only spent about $55 with my employee discount, retail would have been about $70-$75.  Only difference was the Drag check valve line was about 3-4 inches shorter than stock.  Not a big issue and still got it to work fine.

Was still chasing a misfire that was progressively getting worse, so also cleaned the crank position sensor while I was in there.  Actually replaced the temp sensor the previous weekend.
 Then as I was buttoning her up and about to put the seat back on I checked the battery terminals......  They were both loose!  DOH!!!   >:(  For the last 8 years I've been working in the automotive and power sports industries and constantly preaching to check the battery terminals.  "How about you practice what you preach, Scottie!?"   ;D

Anyway, the bike has been running fantastic all week.  BUT, the temps are dropping into the 40's and 50's so now she's getting thirsty and has a slight hesitation off of idle.  So, going to go into the map and add 3 clicks of fuel at 5% throttle and 1 click across the board, and maybe 2 clicks at 100% throttle.  Just about ready for an oil change too, and will probably do the primary fluid with it, and go in and replace the primary chain tensioner shoe.  Also thinking of changing the battery terminal bolts to 8mm head flange bolts so I can actually get a ratchet wrench on them, and a drop of Loctite so they don't come loose again.

Boy, nobody in a nursing home could ever find better treatment than you are giving this harley. I'm proudaya 8)  Maybe some day you'll actually BE on a vintage and feel as good as I..... (that's the wrong story for here).

Remember what Willy said: If you're lucky you get one good dog, one good truck and one good woman. I say there will be one, One, really good bike that you'll wish you had back to your grave.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #943 on: September 30, 2018, 01:33:25 pm
Went on this year's Distinguished Gentleman's Ride.  Well, I didn't actually go on the ride. I broke my collarbone at the track yesterday so no riding for me. But I was there for the departure and after party and that was fun. Still got dressed up. A couple of mates took my old Ducati and my TRX850 cafe racer and the offspring's partner was there on his cx500 cafe racer. Great day out.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #944 on: September 30, 2018, 01:42:27 pm