Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273730 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #540 on: March 05, 2014, 09:04:13 pm
We did little River road and cruised around that west side stuff a bit last week. Nice riding, but a lot more traffic than the east side.
I went down to the ME Breakfast Club get together this morning. There was a very light turnout and the few who were going riding were heading down to Escondido and Vista. I decided to head north so I went over to Deluz and get started there. There was a lot of dirt and several spots that water were running across the road especially in the hollers in the woods toward the North end in Riverside county. The rain really got that part! Then I started to go over Ortega highway and they were working on it and had this "follow me" truck leading the mob back and for the through a section on the east side of the Lookout. There were a bunch of cars ahead of me already stopped when I got up there and I really couldn't find a semi legal way to get by them and I sure as hell wasn't going to go across Ortega behind a dozen or so cagers. Believe me, that's no fun and passing zones are rare.
OS I went back down and took a not much better ride up the15. traffic was a mess there, too. Then I got to the beginning of Carbon Canyon and the Goose started running on one Cylinder, similar to what it did back when I first got it and the spark plug connector failed. I haven't checked it out yet, later today. I'll let it cool off! At least it got me home!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #541 on: March 05, 2014, 09:55:35 pm
Three cheers for two cylinders!

Tomrog

• Scooter
  • Hi All!
Reply #542 on: March 06, 2014, 12:13:16 am
LOL!  Umm actually Prof I shouldn't laugh.  Had my R1100RSL towed home the other day, something is amiss with the clutch.  The clutch lever just suddenly got HARD to pull.  Anyway, today, as soon as the kids are done with homework, Im going out to amputate the tail end of my BMW.  Cause that's what you have to do to get at the clutch.  We shall see... 
Gotta luv the Guzzi though, my first bike was a Stornello (125 guzzi Scrambler).  Fun ride. 
I am looking for a Royal Enfield.  So if anyone in the great state of Washington has one they would like sell let me know.  Have fun all! :)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #543 on: March 13, 2014, 11:01:53 pm
Went on the weekly ME breakfast ride yesterday and wished I had an Enfield! After breakfast, they decided to go up to Palomar and then someone said they were going to take the Cole Harrison Grade, which is a dirt road that goes up from the West side. I've never been on it before. Some of the group said they'd stick with South Grade, the standard twisty way up there. Well, here I am following who I thought was everybody, and when they got to Cole Harrison, they turned left to go up the road. I didn't see anyone going straight! Oh, what to do. Oh, well, I'm here, might as well give it a shot! So, I'm last and following a guy who's kinda dropping back from the pack, but he's going as fast as I need to be. We went about a third of the way up when he stopped and said he as turning around. I figure I made it this far, I may as well continue. I caught up with the gang about half way up where they had stopped for a break. then I stayed with a couple of guys who had bikes that were more my size!
Now, ya gotta understand that I haven't been on a rugged dirt road in close to twenty years. This road has all the obstacles you need, mostly loose dirt, potholes, washouts, torn up bits of pavement, very tight turns usually going steeply uphill and way off camber. And the most stutter bumps I think I've ever seen! Actually most of the road was stutter bumps.
The Goose wasn't too bad for the most part considering it's a short barred cafe racer. Except for the stutter bumps. The suspension is way too stiff for that, and was really rattling my teeth out! But I managed to blast my self out of some deep enough trenches to fall off in, really digging into the way back machine to recall what I as supposed to be doing in these situations. Kinda like riding a bicycle, with twenty five years of practice, I guess some of it has to stick. I was definitely relieved to get to Mother's without falling off, and really had fun doing it. It would've been a lot easier on an Enfield, though. My Enfield suspension would've handled it better!
Boggy, while you out playing around, give this one a shot. You'd enjoy it on the Suzuki! Just go down the 76. It's down by Pauma. It doesn't take much special on tires. My Sport Demons handled it quite well. It's no Triple Diamond by any stretch.
Bare
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:22:00 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #544 on: March 15, 2014, 02:50:07 pm
Bare: Sounds like you had a great unexpected ride this go around...I'm trying to picture this part: 
The suspension is way too stiff for that, and was really rattling my teeth out!
   ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #545 on: March 15, 2014, 07:20:08 pm
Have you ever ridden on corrugated dirt for several miles, about 3" deep and maybe a foot apart. Stutter bumps we call them, because that's what you do riding them.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #546 on: March 16, 2014, 11:39:21 am
There's a lot of washboard roads out where I go camping.  The Blackhawk does alright on that stuff, probably do a lot better if I rebuilt the forks.  LOL  My wife's Hyundai Accent isn't so maneuverable on it tho.  The few time we've taken her car camping, I had to slow down to about 5mph on that washboard stuff or else you swear the doors are going to rattle right off of the car!  My Subaru owns that shit tho.  ;)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #547 on: March 17, 2014, 01:28:49 am
Actually got about a dozen Guzzis in one spot for a ride this morning. That many Guzzis in one spot around here is a giant rally!
We met in Corona and went out Cajalco to Hemet and down Sage Road to the 74, then back up the 371 to the 74 then over to Idlewild for lunch. I got to meet a bunch of people that I know from the Guzzi forums. It was a beautiful day until we got down to Banning and it was hotter'n hell down there. It was in the 90s riding home.
It was a nice ride with the group, but wouldn't exactly put in in the Epic category. No bikes broke, nobody fell off, didn't go by anybody else's crash, Traffic was generally tolerable. It was just a good ride as most of them are! I did about 215 miles.
Oh, I forgot, some scumbag stole my cat face taillight in the restaurant parking lot! Asshole!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #548 on: March 17, 2014, 09:06:37 am

...some scumbag stole my cat face taillight in the restaurant parking lot!

>:(

F℧©kers!

I hope there's a special place in hell for these guys!  (Yeah, you!  And you, the guy that stole Jack's bike - you know who you are!  The karma train is comin'!)

(EDIT: let's try this link again...)

Here's part of the "Hell" panel from Hieronymus Bosch's famous "The Garden of Earthly Delights".  See that guy in the lower right with the flute up his tail - for all eternity?  I'm hoping that's the guy that stole your tail liight.  (BTW, please pay no attention to the hurdy-gurdy, which obviously plays a pivotal role torturing the denizens of hell.  Heh heh...  :-X )

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:16:22 am by mattsz »

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #549 on: March 17, 2014, 04:38:29 pm
That is bullshit about your cat-light.  Especially with so many bikes around. 

I did your previous suggestion, Bare, and hit up those roads between Fallbrook and Bonsall.  Started on Gopher Canyon, headed through Old Castle.  That big, sweeping corner on Old Castle is something else.  Quite a few cars there, but rarely any after Old Castle. 

The plan was to take Lilac to West Lilac, but Lilac was so damn nice that I just kept going until it turned into a dirt road.  Really twisty, some great views, and lots of elevation changes.  One minute you are up on a mountain side, the next you are diving down through the woods.  Great road for a warm, high 70 degree day.  At the bottom I turned back.  On my way to West Lilac I check on a peddle biker with flat and noticed the sign for Courser Canyon.  Holy moly, what a road!  Heading from Lilac, it was really scary descending that mountain for the first time - that last bit with the switch backs.  Outside lane with just a white line and a tiny patch of dirt between me and a whole bunch of space and gravity.  GEESH - You make a mistake there and it's so long sucker.  The road psyched me out and my riding wasn't very fluid but it was a thrill.  I kept imagining a car going wide and bumping me off. 

Turned around down in the valley and headed back up Courser, back onto Lilac, and on through West Lilac.  Little red squirrels started playing Frogger and I saw one that lost.  Fortunately none got in the way.  Found a little woopty-doo grass/dirt patch along a hilly farm, parallel to the road that was fun on the DRZ for a short stint.  Crossed the 76, took Olive Hill Road back to Sleeping Indian and then back down to the coast.  Only 80 miles!  But all those curves and a few stops to soak up the scenery and rest my butt from that 2x4 of a seat. 

Endless curves, nice mountain views, beautiful valleys, very few cars, perfectly warm day... what more could anyone on two wheels as for.  All that, and I surfed the day before and the day after.  Not too shabby for March. 

GoPro note: I tried the "narrow setting" which is just a normal camera view.  It didn't work on the chest mount.  Just a few hours of my gas cap and speedo.  I'll have to try it on the helmet or possibly a  handlebar mount.  Here's an iphone panoramic shot of the valley below Courser.  The house behind me was so picture perfect, it could have been in the Shire.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #550 on: March 17, 2014, 04:56:17 pm

GoPro note: I tried the "narrow setting" which is just a normal camera view.  It didn't work on the chest mount.  Just a few hours of my gas cap and speedo.  I'll have to try it on the helmet or possibly a  handlebar mount.  Here's an iphone panoramic shot of the valley below Courser.  The house behind me was so picture perfect, it could have been in the Shire.

If it was possible & I could choose, I think I'd spend another life in Bilbo's Shire. Might be fun. Of course, I'd want all memory of motorized vehicles erased ;)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #551 on: March 17, 2014, 10:57:07 pm
Boggy, if you stay on the dirt part of Lilac. It'll take you back up to the 76. It's a lot better road than Nate Harrison!
You've gotten maybe 25% to a third of the great roads down there. It is absolutely fantastic riding all over the place. I guess that's why go down there about every week. I haven't been on the Crest or in Malibu since before the first of the year! On the other hand the winters up in the high country can be a coolish!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #552 on: March 18, 2014, 02:06:42 am
I started tearing the rear end out of my Kawasaki Vulcan 750. It's time for the 10,000 mile final drive spline lube. It's about an 8 hour job, so I generally spread it out over 3-4 days. If the Enfield is still doing fine in another year, I may just sell the Vulcan. I have so many orthopedic problems I think my long distance riding days are about over anyway.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #553 on: March 18, 2014, 05:24:59 am
bare
Sorry to hear about your catlight.

Somebody must have had the worlds biggest gonads. 
I mean, there's no way I can imagine some dude walking up to somebody else's bike in a restaurant parking lot with a bunch of other bikes parked around and getting out some tools or a pocket knife and removing a tail light.

If I tried that, at least 3 guys would see what I was doing and pound big knots on my head (or worse).

Any chance your Guzzi vibrates like a RE and shook the screws out while you were riding along?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #554 on: March 24, 2014, 03:00:14 am
This weekend I dropped the motor out of my Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager. I bought the bike a few years back and had been listening to a rattling noise coming from the engine since I bought it. Well after many hours on the AVA forum asking questions about this noise and checking this and that and then spending another few hours consulting the forum Voyager guru over the phone the consensus of the cause of the rattle was a broken starter chain tensioner. So yanked the motor, split the case with fingers crossed and low and behold the tensioner truly had taken a dump. A small actuator spring was sticking out the top of the tensioner. But wait one minute, not so fast, a couple minutes of fiddle f*ckin with the tensioner and it works perfect. So I asked myself, "Self should I reuse this old tensioner that works perfectly now that I have fiddle f*cked it back together and save $100 or should I pop for a brand new one?" Well the $100 was quickly spent after just one thought of contemplating another case splitting weekend. So 3 days and $220 later my problem will be fixed for good. Savings for doing this myself, about $1500+. Anyway there aren't many mechanics out there that will touch a Voyager and few Kawasaki shops that have many mechanics that have ever touched one either. I can always count on myself to do the work and to do it correctly, not taking shortcuts to save a few bucks. OK alright already, I did take one shortcut. Made a tool to remove the flywheel because I'm to cheap to buy a impact wrench. Well my birthday is coming up soon so I will have something on the list for my wife to buy. She actually gave me some money for Christmas to do this repair so I guess I will have to consider keeping her around for a while.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:03:00 am by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII