Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273701 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #525 on: February 22, 2014, 12:36:59 am
Steve and I got together this morning for a little putt down to the avocado fields, just messing around. We went down via Santiago Cyn, Live Oak and Ortega Hwy. spent most of the day following traffic on those roads! I took him down to explore the place, but I suspect he didn't have a clue where he was as there are a lot of roads down there. but then all he had to do as follow me and wonder if I was lost or not. I don't get lost down there, but there are times I don't know exactly where I am, but I know the way out! It was a great day though, about 60owhen we started and finally ended up in the 80s.
The Goose and T100 both performed as expected and made a great day of it all. I did about 200 miles while Steve had to add another 40-50 as he lives farther away.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #526 on: February 23, 2014, 07:35:29 pm
Cleaned the BMC air filter. Fixed a loose taillight connection. Practiced picking it up when it fell on the garage floor! Don't ask me how. At least, I can pick this one up!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #527 on: February 24, 2014, 01:05:11 pm
Cleaned the BMC air filter. Fixed a loose taillight connection. Practiced picking it up when it fell on the garage floor! Don't ask me how. At least, I can pick this one up!
Bare

How funny!  I dropped the Blackhawk yesterday pulling it out of the garage trying to put it back on the center stand.  Damn near took me with trying to save it!

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

bikesnob

• Scooter
Reply #528 on: February 24, 2014, 05:03:03 pm
Steve and I got together this morning for a little putt down to the avocado fields, just messing around. We went down via Santiago Cyn, Live Oak and Ortega Hwy. spent most of the day following traffic on those roads! I took him down to explore the place, but I suspect he didn't have a clue where he was as there are a lot of roads down there. but then all he had to do as follow me and wonder if I was lost or not. I don't get lost down there, but there are times I don't know exactly where I am, but I know the way out! It was a great day though, about 60owhen we started and finally ended up in the 80s.
The Goose and T100 both performed as expected and made a great day of it all. I did about 200 miles while Steve had to add another 40-50 as he lives farther away.
Had a great time riding with Bare, always do, yes I had know idea where we were in the Avacodo fields, but I knew Bare wouldn't get us lost.
Steve
2013 Bonniville T 100 (sold)
2010 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 BMW R1200GS
2017 Triumph Street Twin

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
Reply #529 on: February 24, 2014, 06:50:59 pm
I'm on the down hill side of setting up a TW200 as a play bike and loaner for some of my chums that (erroneously) believe that 4 wheels are more fun than 2...... ;D ;D ;D

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #530 on: February 24, 2014, 09:45:28 pm
Those TW's look like awesome fun Sam.  I want to try one out. 

Well, Bare wasn't overselling these roads.  I just did De Luz Rd this past weekend on the DRZ and it was the best time I've had on 2 wheels.  Starts off in canyons and dips down through a forest.  No stop signs... just curve after curve after curve.  I could not believe how the road just kept going.  It was incredible.

Only had 3 cars in front of me there and back, and 2 moved aside.  The DRZ was an absolute blast to ride.  At ~300 pounds it gets ups to speed and brakes really quickly.  I took it easy on they way out, getting to know the bike and roads, and tore it up on the way back.

I knew it was nice scenery around me too but I was pretty focused on road.  The DRZ tank range is terrible.  Hit reserve at around 100 miles.  45 miles per gallon with some aggressive riding but there's a reason they sell larger, aftermarket tanks.  Other than that, the bike performed amazingly.

Here's just 10 minutes of what turned out to be a 3 hour, 100 mile day in sunny SoCal with temperatures ranging around perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg_9Jtugl7M

Note my "gps" system.  Also, I will be changing those skull-bars as soon as I can.  I like skulls, but not on my handlebars.  I don't need the reminder.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #531 on: February 25, 2014, 06:26:11 pm
At about 11:20, at the "Y" you shoulda gone right (DeLuz Murrietta) instead of left. Then you start getting into the really good parts! Narrower roads with tighter turns and really in the woods! If you stay on DeLuz Murrietta, which changes back to Deluz, it will take you up to Rancho California, which will take you back down into Temecula and the I-15. There is an incredible amount of riding down there and don't even really ever need to repeat. yourself!
There are a of of reads that still end up as deadends or dirt. That's part of the fun of running around down there, you never know where you'll end up!  After doing it for 20 some years, you can find your way around most of the time.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #532 on: February 25, 2014, 07:06:32 pm
Got a chance to see some of the secondary roads in SC last December.
Drove up to Jamul and figured "What a great place to have a bike!"
Plenty of dynamite roads and scenery here, though.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #533 on: February 25, 2014, 08:59:17 pm
Yeah - I actually turned around on that dirt road and went back to the Y and did go up that way.  The dirt was more sand, and those tires are pure sport bike tires so I felt like I was on ice.  Otherwise I would have kept going.  I wasn't sure which was the right way as my phone wasn't getting any reception on De Luz.

But you are right, up that Y split were more incredible roads and some nice orange groves.  I did end up in Temecula and took a 10 minute break but I was losing sun quickly.  Boy that winding, steep road above Temecula gave me a bit of vertigo when I first saw down into the valley. 

There seemed like there were lots of side streets with great riding possibilities.  I'm glad I know about De Luz Rd now, and that's just my first venture out in SoCal.  8)
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #534 on: February 26, 2014, 12:30:52 am
boggy - You should check out the Shinko 705 dual sport tires for that DRZ.  I run them on the Blackhawk and also had them on that '01 F650GS and I really like them.  They do excellent on any type of asphalt conditions, do exceptionally well on dirt roads and trails and even hold up that sandy stuff pretty well.  Best part is that you can get both tires and tubes for about $150.  And for the record, this particular tire was in fact designed for supermoto bikes and fit right at home on a DRZ.    ;)  I've road 40-60 miles worth a dirt on one ride and held speeds at 30mph no problems at all.  I've actually hit 50mph several times on the Blackhawk in dirt with these and they hold up great.  I highly recommend them.    :)

http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-705-motorcycle-tire

Scottie J
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:34:54 am by High On Octane »

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #535 on: February 26, 2014, 01:43:11 am
Cool.  I like the look of those.  The Avon Distanzia tires are a popular choice with a similar tread, but these Shinkos look good.  I definitely want the priority to be for the road, wet or dry, but I certainly want to be able to handle dirt roads.  I saw too many of them.

Thanks Scottie.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #536 on: February 26, 2014, 04:16:18 am
As far as wet handling on those tires, I could cruise that F650GS at 75 mph in heavy rain and never lost traction.   ;)

Scottie J

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #537 on: February 26, 2014, 11:57:18 pm
That dirt road off Deluz ends a short way down from the Y. They are a lot of those down there that don't really go anywhere. There used to be a lot more dirt ones down there, but it seems like most of them I remember from the 90s have been paved. That's Rancho California that goes down into Temecula. It does have some great views! there are  some other hill inside that have other spectacular views. That is really a beautiful place to ride. And there's never much traffic!
I went down to North San Diego county this morning and played around on some the the roads south of the 76 that run on both sides of the 15, Old Castle, Lilac, West Lilac, Gopher, Couser, and Rice Canyon on the Northside of the 76, east of the 15. It's all great riding down there. After I finished down there, I headed home thought Deluz country, than across Ortega and home. I did 235 miles and need another 100 to make 11,000 on the Goose.
I wish I lived closer! May be doing that soon!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #538 on: February 27, 2014, 01:05:28 am
We drove through Gopher Canyon a few months back headed to a bamboo grower's site out there.  I definitely will be returning on 2 wheels.  I just did a quick 40 miles in a rare after work ride that didn't involve commuting.  I was west of you Bare, on Sleeping Indian and N.River road.  Mostly farms - really nice up there.  I'm trying to find a nice 1 hour loop that I can sneak in here and there.  Great detox for after work.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #539 on: February 28, 2014, 06:05:50 pm
I don't knnow how long it takes you to get to the end of Gopher Cyn just after it crosses the 15, but turn right there and go to the light and turn left onto Old Castle.  Continue to Lilac and turn left. THere is one left hander up there that will get you attention as it's arecucig camber and it tightens up quite a bit. Thought I as going over the side one time up there. ROtunately the bike hand a lot more lean that it could handle! But I was right at the edge!
Be careful out there! At any rate a Yellow Deli will show up then go a 1/2 mile or so to Couser Cyn. on your left. Take that up to the 76 and turn left, go to the next right and go up Rice Cyn. That's the one I crashed my Bullet on. Anyway, it ends at a sharp left hand turn, then you'll go down to a couple of stop signs. Go straight through, the road curves slight after the second one. It takes yu down to the old 395, Turn left and go to the next stop sign (Mission) and turn left and across the freeway. this road will take you to Fallbrook and by the DeLuz entrance. You can stay on Mission and go back down to the 76 and home.
HTre are lot of options over there, but I ride this particular loop quite often, when I come up from Escondido, but I go up into the Deluz complex on my way home. I usually get gas at the Fallbrook Shell.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer