Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273703 times)

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #510 on: January 14, 2014, 04:40:55 am
Don't forget who to talk to when you need that Subaru worked on.  ;)
Scottie

Damn thing's too dependable.  169,000 miles so far.  You've got my business when something I can't deal with comes along.  I swapped out the starter last month myself.  Easy-peasy on this motor.

Cheers,

Dan K.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #511 on: January 14, 2014, 04:42:34 am
They're definitely not hard to work on when you have the tools.  Just don't forget about the timing area around 210K.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Bumboo

• Scooter
Reply #512 on: January 15, 2014, 04:06:47 am
Broke out the '77 Vespa P125X over the weekend to get ready for the 14 Annual Freeze Your Balls Off Scooter Rally held in Durham, NC in a week.  They get some nice classic bikes there too and a very eclectic but cordial bunch of scooterists from juvenile to AARP; with wife and I getting the discount for the latter.  Scooter rallies I found are an acquired taste.  For me, It helps to get in the mood beforehand by watching Quadrophenia and desensitizing myself to Ska music.  But oh the sound of a hundred Vespas and Lambrettas swarming......Putt....Putt....Putt....Putt...       

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #513 on: January 15, 2014, 11:58:14 am
I have to know.....  How cold does it actually get for this scooter rally?   ???
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Bumboo

• Scooter
Reply #514 on: January 16, 2014, 03:10:33 am
Scottie,  The rally starts about midnight on Friday w/ a ride to local brewery...last year about 26 degrees F but it warmed to about 45 degrees for the Saturday events and ride. About the same this year according to the weatherguessers.  Some readers of the forum would consider that tropical!   

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #515 on: January 16, 2014, 06:03:54 pm
Went to the weekly MEBC club get together yesterday. The Santa Ana winds were blowing. It was 75 degrees just before the sun came up while I was riding down the 91. I turned South on the I-15 and got out of the wind. The temps then plummeted to 48o in Temecula.
After breakfast we rode around some of the close in twisties and went over to a guy's house to look at his '27 Scott, a two stroke 500cc twin that remained in production until 1950. Silk took over production that lasted until about 1965.
The gearbox was off which leaves the rear of the crankcase open. It was an interesting motorcycle. A big flywheel between the cylinders and a sprocket beside the flywheel that drives the gearbox. It has oil injection, obviously the Japanese didn't invent this item!
Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me, so no pics!
The next ride my bike will pass 10,000 miles!
Bare
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:34:55 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #516 on: January 27, 2014, 12:24:50 am
For the first time in two months I got the Honda CBR250R "lil thumper" out for a ride.  The temps were in the 40's, so I now remember why I had heated grips on my previous motorcycle.

The 40 mile ride was great, and the fill-up showed 84mpg. 

Spring warmth can't come too soon!
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #517 on: January 28, 2014, 08:37:26 pm
For the first time in two months I got the Honda CBR250R "lil thumper" out for a ride.

Two months. I would've died! I damn near did last year when I was off bikes for four months waiting for my Continental GT! Haven't been off for more than a week or so since then. Still haven't ridden a Continental, though!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #518 on: February 14, 2014, 03:54:17 pm
Finally picked up a second ride.  Few years ago my DRZ400SM was stolen, and now that I've moved across country I grabbed another one.  It's a 2006 with only 1500 miles on it.  For those that don't know, the SM indicates a "super moto" version:  Street tires, upside down forks, bigger brakes... It's got a few mods that are common on these bikes including an opened up airbox and full exhaust that with some jetting make it real snappy and responsive.  It sounds really good too.  The previous owner swapped the stock light with a Kawa light so it looks probably a little too transformer for some of you goats.  I took it for a few dozen mile shake down and then straight to a shop.  I found some guys near me that were very cool and I felt great about bringing them some business.  They will change all fluids, check the chain, go through the carb, the suspension... I basically want a tip top running second bike that just works.  My reward for owning an AVL with an attitude problem.  The Bullet is going to get some much needed TLC.  I'll have to talk to ACE at some point about a project. 

Bare: give me a few weeks of local riding to get to know the machine (I have to get used to these big brakes again!) and I'll definitely head up your way to see if this thumper can hang with the Goose. 

Here's a pic (need to peel that fork sticker).  These DRZ-SMs are kinda legendary for being a blast to ride.  I'm really psyched.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #519 on: February 14, 2014, 11:37:58 pm
I'd need a ladder to get on that thing!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #520 on: February 15, 2014, 04:03:16 pm
Boggy: After seeing your baby, I jumped over to the Suzuki website...They are really nice bikes and affordable too..Sounds like u got the deal u been waiting for on the 06 model.  A bit tall in the saddle for the short horns but I bet they handle great and get good gas mileage... Good luck with it  ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #521 on: February 17, 2014, 03:39:04 pm
I'm only 5'8".  The seat is a tall 35" but super skinny.  I can put the balls of my feet on the ground but like a dirt bike, I tend to one-foot it.  I'm still a youngish man so I can hurl the leg over for now.  I could see some uneven terrain, say, at a downhill stop being tricky if I wasn't paying attention. 

New ones were more than I was looking to spend but yeah, I like the idea of a used one with just over a thousand miles for thousands less.  And this one looked so clean.

The shop still has it.  I'm still getting used to these "California-weeks.  They tend to last 10-14 days.  ::)
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #522 on: February 17, 2014, 04:11:55 pm
Got to ride a yamaha yz 250 a few times last year and they do sell the XT street version. I figure it's the same bike with different tires/headlight and indicators..Not sure if the suspension is different....The bike owner stated it he had to do it over again he would had started with the 400 cc model vs the 250 ( he's over 200 lbs) ...I've never ridden one set up for street usage but I would think they would be very nimble and plenty of power for local riding and the most important - fun...
Oh Magoo you done it again

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #523 on: February 17, 2014, 06:40:56 pm
These super-motos are heaps of fun on the street.  I think the size is perfect for getting around and having a bit of fun.  They turn in very quick and are super nimble.  The weight is listed at 320 so it's light too.  It'll do a short stint on the highway but with no 6th gear I don't plan on traveling far unless it's back roads.  Lots of videos of these bikes keeping up with sport bikes through the curves and lots more videos of guys behaving pretty badly which I think will be a bit of fun too.  I think it's going to be a fun bike to explore my neck of SoCal with.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #524 on: February 17, 2014, 11:01:47 pm
Great day riding.  A little more than 100 miles over the course of the day.  Met a group of riders for breakfast and then made our way to Galveston Bay. This vintage bike likes to go farther than the last ride.  Running very well and finally reliable.  Had a few gremlins limiting my range last year but feel good about each outing now. Long stretches at 55 mph and slightly more for short stints.  Last pushrod adjustment has held for a few months of riding.  Throttle cable issues have cleared up. Good throttle response.  Neutralizer lever is my friend.  One of the best features.
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames