Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273626 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #480 on: November 22, 2013, 07:48:33 pm
Since it's so slow here, I might as will give a ride report from last Wednesday.
The forecast for Wednesday was rain showers in the late afternoon. It was a the day of the weekly MEBC,so I left at the crack of dawn on a quite cool overcast, mostly, morning, so I got to ride to Rainbow without the sun in my face. The sun did try to peek through a couple of slots in the clouds, but not enough to be blinding. I had to split lanes about the last 8 miles or so because of some problem on the freeway down by Escondido.
It wasn't a bad ride, temp wise, but when I got to the restaurant and out of the freeway traffic and just standing around, I got pretty cold! Anyway, when we went in, I warmed up fairly quickly.
After breakfast a few of us decided to go on a ride down through the Escondido. I did stay with the group into some unknown to me roads bypassing the town, then we stopped for a short breather. I was in an area I wasn't particularly familiar, but not any fear of being lost as I was aware of the roads surrounding out position. I know I'd run into some road I knew any way I went.  The guys took off while I was fumbling around trying to find my shades. After I got going I didn't see which way they went at a fork in the road. I went the wrong way, but it took me a few miles to figure out where I was. They were going on around a route I know but then going to the BMW dealer which I didn't know where it was.
Bacause of the forecast, I jumped on the freeway and headed back north for a few miles, then jumped off onto some back roads, then over to Fallbrook. The rest of the route as the standard Deluz, up to Ortega Hwy, Santiago Cyn and home. Ortega hwy was great, very little traffic, maybe three cages and everyone let me by in short order. 
As for the weather, I saw a few drops on my visor as I got closer to home, but nothing really materialized until I got home. I didn't have to get out the condom for my seat. That suede thing isn't built for rain!
I got home without getting wet although about an hour later it did start raining. So basically, it was a great 256 mile ride
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #481 on: November 23, 2013, 03:32:32 pm
Last week I got a slightly broken in Corbin seat for 'lil thumper.  It weighs almost three times the stock 1.7# seat.  It is typical Corbin very firm, but unlike my previous Corbin seat on another bike, this one is very comfortable and will make longer rides less fatiguing.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #482 on: November 28, 2013, 06:16:32 pm
Same ol, Same ol! Yesterday EMBC. 270 miles on San Diego County roads. Great weather, nice ride. Avoided the high altitude stuff because it was cold up there.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Land O Aches

• Scooter
Reply #483 on: November 28, 2013, 07:32:11 pm
Put the old Honda Trail 90 on the bumper rack, hauled it up to Performance Welding. Eric's gonna tweak the intake manifold so it'll mount a newer carb...

Lando
"Think you'll ever amount to much?"

- my co-worker Rick

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #484 on: December 03, 2013, 04:56:07 pm
Finally got my '56 IMZ M-72 sidevalve running again Thanksgiving weekend, after replacing a twisted crank. This bike makes my iron barrel seem like a Ducati.

The 2x4 side-stand is my own invention. Available for purchase for your own rides, at a reasonable price.
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #485 on: December 03, 2013, 08:21:35 pm
Veddy Interrresting!
Cool bike.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #486 on: December 03, 2013, 10:05:43 pm
That's a really neat old bike! :)

Somehow I can hear voices saying, "Ve haf not copied the Enemy's BMW!"   Ve inwented this fine motorcycle right here in Glorious Mother Russia, comrade."
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #487 on: December 03, 2013, 11:46:42 pm
Thanks guys.

I can hear that voice, Arizoni. Also:
In glorious Russia, bike kick you!
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #488 on: December 04, 2013, 06:06:21 am
Really cool!
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #489 on: December 07, 2013, 08:00:10 pm
Planned on going to the IMS show Friday evening, meantime, I'm waiting for a set of Zard silencers for the Guzzi to arrive by Fedex. About 2pm, they show up. Plenty of time to get them on before I want to leave. I get the left stocker off in short order, but it's got a seal on it that I need to get the spacing right on the new muffler. Trying to get it out, I demolish the thing. They usually come out quite easily. I guess I must've overtorqued it the last time I took it off, What to do, it's too late to get a newy, but wait, I have some aluminum tape to fill the gap, so I wrap the tape around the pipe and try to slip the new silencer on. It won't go, too much tape. This thing doesn't need the spacer! So I cut the tape off and and get the new pipe on with a light application of the big orange hammer! It's bolts up OK, so, after a bunch of wasted time, I'm off to the other side. It's a bit more of a pain to get off because it hasn't been off. The left one has to come off to get the axle out to change tires. The new pipe goes on easily enough, but the bracket won' line up to get a bolt though it on the inside of the bracket like the other side. I loosen up a crossover pipe so the exhaust pipes can be moved closer together. A little more Orange hammer work.
I fiddle and push and pound to get the bracket to line up, then note that it is becoming a monstrous task, so I contemplate making the bolt hole bigger which will take time, then decide to just put the bracket on the outside of the hanger. That works. Everything situated and tied down, I still have to unpack a helmet that UPS delivered ten minutes after the pipes arrived.
I bought a new silver HJC with the sunshade and wanted to check it out, too. So an hour or so after I intended to, I finally got to leave for the show.
The pipes still have the db blockers so are even a bit quieter than the stockers. They will be removed today! 
The helmet seems to be slightly noisier than my old HJC, and it ventilates better. But the reason I got it was the built in sunshade. Heading west to Long Beach in the late afternoon proved to be a great test ride for it. It worked very well! I got the silver one to be cooler in the summer. I read something here recently that white helmets were ten degrees cooler internally than black one in hot weather. Most of my other helmets are black or other dark colors. I abhor white, so I compromised for the silver.
In another thread I mention the show, which I did enjoy, but the ride over and back really made the day. It was a bit chilly, but totally refreshing. Just a great evening to be on a bike!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #490 on: December 09, 2013, 02:04:10 am
I rode the Norton Club Ride up to Julian today. There were about 20 participants on Nortons (3), several Triumphs, Hinckley and Meriden, some Beemers, a couple of Hardleys and a Guzzi. The weather was in the 40s for the most with 41 at Julian,and I finished up at home with about 55 degrees. But that was because of the midafternoon downhill run for 4200' to my house at 250'. It was a fun ride, though, and everybody enjoyed it. It was almost exactly the same weather as last year's Julian run. I rode 250 miles. Pic with new silencers
It did give me a chance to run the Sards without the db killers. I thought It might be too loud, but everyone said they thought it really sounded good and didn't feel it needed to be quietened any. So I guess I'll run them as is. There is a bit of racket from popping and such when off throttle, but it doesn't really bother me much. I put some 89 Octane gas in it last night, and it passed the trial run in flying colors. Not a peep of pinging. The mileage was very average and about what I would have expected on this ride with a lot of fast interstate thrown in.
It was good day and all the bits and pieces seem to be coming together.
Bare
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:07:49 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #491 on: December 09, 2013, 07:19:19 pm
That Guzzi is looking real fine Bare!    :D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #492 on: December 09, 2013, 08:11:43 pm
Looked at the Bolt, looked at the ice outside, shook my head and thought; "Nope, not today.  My name ain't Scottie J."  ;)
1975 XLCH

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #493 on: December 09, 2013, 08:13:14 pm
Finally got my '56 IMZ M-72 sidevalve running again Thanksgiving weekend, after replacing a twisted crank. This bike makes my iron barrel seem like a Ducati.

The 2x4 side-stand is my own invention. Available for purchase for your own rides, at a reasonable price.

How much to ship one of them fancy side-stand to Maryland?  Can you make it adjustable?   :o
1975 XLCH

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #494 on: December 10, 2013, 03:31:45 am
Aftermarket 'adjustment' kit. 9.95. Order now and get a free binding system( twine)

Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra