Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273752 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #435 on: September 24, 2013, 06:46:33 pm
The only Honda I've owned was my first bike, the VFR500 Interceptor and I positively loved it.  Sometimes getting from point A to B in a kick ass way is good enough.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #436 on: September 25, 2013, 06:19:06 am
had to do some case grinding to fit the new cams in my XR engine, it gets pretty close to the pinion shaft bearing with these 3/4 mild cams, they have an extra .080 lift(at the valve) but I can only imagine with some of the race cams available that you must have to cut down to the bearing.

I rode my sisters Virago for a while, it was around 600cc if I remember correctly and it was no where near as enjoyable as my Bullet, though it did go well on the highway and was comfortable while doing it. I have a little Honda C110('69?) that I have had for 18 years or so and it can sit for several years and with only adding gas start first kick and though too underpowered for the speeds we drive today it is a fun bike. I taught my daughter how to ride on it this past summer and it did not seem any worse for the wear and abuse she inflicted on it while learning how to use a clutch and shift while riding around the yard.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #437 on: September 25, 2013, 08:21:48 pm
Removed the number plates from the Goose and added a Dart flyscreen. It's much quieter than the old flyscreen/number plate.
Then the headlight crapped out. Gotta figure that one out. I think it's the headlight relay. Now I have to find it and hope it's not under the gas tank. Why is it that every time I have to pull a tank, it's full of gas. And in the case of the goose, it's got about 5.5 gallons in it!
Bare
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:27:43 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

bikesnob

• Scooter
Reply #438 on: September 25, 2013, 10:26:04 pm
Hey Bare, She's looking good, hope to ride with you real soon.
Steve
2013 Bonniville T 100 (sold)
2010 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 BMW R1200GS
2017 Triumph Street Twin

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #439 on: September 25, 2013, 11:23:28 pm
.........Why is it that every time I have to pull a tank, it's full of gas. And in the case of the goose, it's got about 5.5 gallons in it!
Bare

LOL  Tell me about it!    ;D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #440 on: September 26, 2013, 12:35:04 am
bare:
You did check the bulb, didn't you?  ::)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #441 on: September 27, 2013, 08:29:38 pm
You did check the bulb, didn't you?  ::)

Soitainy, the first thing I checked. No power to it though. Checked thefuses. Started working my way back and no power to the dimmer switch, but the Flasher button is working. Actually all the lights are working except the headlight. So I'm suspecting a relay that's somewhere under the tank and I get ready to pull the tank. That damn thing has 5.5 gallons in it along with the fact that I really don't know what's really involved with detaching the electrics and fuse line from this, and I don't really feel like jacking with it and 33 pounds of gas! So I figured, wait until tomorrow morning when it's cooler. Yesterday morning, I went out to finish removing it, then I decided to call the shop and see when they could do it. I made an appointment for Tuesday figuring I could ride it down there  with a rubber band holding the flasher button down. I put the bike all back together and went into catch a little TV.
Then a revelation hit me.
Every time I would turn the key on the light wouldn't come on. This bike turns the light off when you hit the starter. I'd turned the key on many times looking for the problem, but it never occurred to me to start it. I went out into the garage and hit the starter button. It started and a few seconds later the lights came on! I guess the circuitry, when you hit the starter button, cuts the juice to the light and it won't switch back. I guess it takes a shot from the alternator to turn it back on! I think when the problem I had the ignition on to aim the headlight and I accidentally hit the starter button which turned the lights off, but it wasn't enough to start. So when I turned the key on again it hadn't gotten the signal to relight the lights!
Which all this reminds me, I need to cancel a service appointment!
I guess we can all suffer from a terminal case of dumbass occasionally!
Bare
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:33:01 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #442 on: September 28, 2013, 12:21:05 am
It is good that you figured out the lighting glitch.  Now, how do you like the Dart flyscreen?  They do a nice job on most bikes in smoothing out the airflow to make for a more pleasurable longer ride.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #443 on: September 28, 2013, 10:43:16 pm
Now, how do you like the Dart flyscreen?  They do a nice job on most bikes in smoothing out the airflow to make for a more pleasurable longer ride.

I gave it a 220 mile test today. It works fine. It's actually quieter than the stock one! Today affirmed my position that the Enfield has a more comfortable seat. My butt was getting a bit sore today. Went down to North San Diego County and rode a bunch of roads that I don't do often. Came back up through the avocado fields again on different roads than I usually ride. The hit Ortega and and a couple of pickups moved over for me and I had a wide open run nearly to the bottom heading west! It was a great ride!
Bare 
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #444 on: October 03, 2013, 07:06:01 am
Ran a 1.5" hole saw with 10" extension down the interior of the Bolt's exhaust pipe.  Much better sound.  She was thumpy only at idle and quieted out as I increased speed.  Now it's more bass and louder.  This will do until I decide what to replace it with.  Best candidate so far is V&H duals that cost over $500, so maybe this winter.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #445 on: October 03, 2013, 04:49:11 pm
How do you like your Bolt so far?  Let me know if you already did a review on it somewhere.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #446 on: October 03, 2013, 07:58:28 pm
Yesterday, I rode down to Rainbow for the weekly Moto Euro Breakfast Club meeting and and went out and played with them after breakfast. The group consisted of Beemers, Aprilias, Ducatis, MVs, Triumphs, and such. We went to Palomar, then down to the S2 and dropped down into the desert then back up the 78 to Julian. We stopped there for a  bit of lunch. We went to San Ysidro for gas, then I broke off and headed home on the 79 as they were going farther south.
It's tough keeping up with a bunch of guys on liter bikes with my little 50 hp beast, but I got there. I did get to chase a guy on an old 800 BMW and we were matched up pretty well. It was a fun day, and and the weather remained fairly cool. I did 290 miles.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #447 on: October 03, 2013, 09:23:35 pm
Sounds like it was fun Bare.

Didn't post a review on the Bolt. There's plenty of those on Youtube and stuff.
I love it. Handles really well, accelerates with a jump at any speed if you want to.  It just pulls and pulls and pulls with gobs of low end torque that doesn't go away as it revs up.  So far no one has been able out drag me or pull away unless I wanted them to, though I'm sure there are plenty of bikes that can.  The power is incomparable to the Enfield, but it's a whole different genre of music.  I hate to say it here, but it also handles much better in the curvy stuff than my old Enfield did.  So I miss the Iron Barrel for running errands around town, glad I got the Bolt, wish I had both.  Sportster?  Oh yeah, that's sitting in the shed. It may never see daylight again.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #448 on: October 04, 2013, 11:09:32 pm
Rode it to the shop today, just to stop by and see what's up. They've got a lot of Guzzi's on the floor! And the outside service parking is full of all kinds of stuff. I'd say they are pretty busy!
Remember, your dealer should be your best friend!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #449 on: October 05, 2013, 01:53:56 am
.......Remember, your dealer should be your best friend!
Bare

That is the truth.  ALWAYS be nice to your dealer and treat them with respect.   :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King