Author Topic: What did you do on your non Royal Enfield motorcycle today?  (Read 273573 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #315 on: June 16, 2013, 10:16:35 pm
Friday we went on a big ride. I did 353 miles, but I have to ride farther to our meeting place. We started in Devore, where we all topped up, then went up the Crest though Wrightwood to N4, and As it was a bit cool and Jack and I had on very vented jackets we decided to go down N4 to the desert so we wouldn't have to endure freezing our butts off at 8000 feet. Steve was dressed a bit warmer, but he didn't argue the point. The ride down N4 was fun and I was really getting the feel of the bike as Jack was leading and I was just playing keep up! Going across the desert of Ft Tejon and back up Mt Emma to Angeles Forest wasn't to bad, then we went to Aliso Canyon, Soledad and Sand Canyon, the up Bouquet Canyon, across Spunky Canyon. Jack and Steve stopped in Happy Valley for some gas, then we went on and to Elizabeth Lake and to Lake Hughes up where last week's fire was. We definitely got to see a lot of burned out area although we were kinda on the backside of it. Lake Hughes Road to Lake Casitas was closed so we couldn't investigate any farther west. But the fire was coming down some hills on the South side of Lake Hughes and was within about a mile of the town! We ate at the Rock Inn where I usually get jalapeno poppers, but I went for their Chili Size and that chili was the Best! Then we went out and headed back down to Sand Canyon where I got gas.  I checked the mileage ended up with 59.8 mpg. I was expecting a lot worse as I was riding the Guzzi pretty hard! Jack lead us down through, Little Tujunga where I hung onto his taillight for about half way through, then he started to pull away so I didn't have him to follow and my skirt started blowing up in my face, so I slowed down a little. the heavier, slower steering than what I was used to started wearing on my upper back and shoulders! The Goose works one harder than the Bullet! Course, you get to go a lot faster,too! We rode to Sunland, then back up Lower Big Tujunga with me leading, to Angeles Forest to Mt Emma and back home the way we came.
It was a great ride, but I got home feeling a bit tired and sore, but we'll do it again later this week, I suppose. I get 54.5 on the return trip. It ain't a Bullet, but I guess I can survive with that!
I definitely got the bike broken in!
Bare
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:18:03 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #316 on: June 17, 2013, 12:32:10 am
Sounds like the Guzzi is treating you good Bare.   I need to get my tires and alternator replaced so I can start taking epic trips again.  I've been limited to in town traveling and short country jaunts for the time being, but hopefully in the next couple weeks I can get those taken care of.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #317 on: June 17, 2013, 01:27:54 am
Sounds like you had fun bare. :)

You mentioned,
"We ate at the Rock Inn where I usually get jalapeno poppers, but I went for their Chili Size and that chili was the Best! Then we went out and headed back down to Sand Canyon where I got gas."

Did they tone down their chili? 
I've heard that after eating one of their Chili Sizes, most people get gas long before reaching Sand Canyon.  ;D ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #318 on: June 17, 2013, 06:15:18 pm
I don't think it had been toned down, but I never had it before. It was a bit spicy, but in a totally good way. It wasn't draining my sinuses or making me teary eyed. No aftereffects.
It was just GOOOD!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #319 on: June 17, 2013, 06:32:59 pm
Hey, how does that Bonnie sound with the Arrow exhausts?  The Scrambler I heard with a 2 into 1 Arrow sounded absolutely fantastic.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #320 on: June 17, 2013, 06:39:24 pm
Rode down to the Century Cycles Father's Day Party in San Pedro. It was pretty disappointing. I didn't see any Enfields there and very little of anything else of interest. It  has kinda turned into a Hardley and Rat Bike deal. There were less than a dozen decent old Brit bikes there. There were a couple of Guzzi Eldorados there, but they left early. I guess they were as impressed as I was. Looks like another one to drop off the list.
I went to a bike night at Knowlwoods in Anaheim Hills Thursday night and they had some interesting stuff there, including a new C5 Military. The Guzzi got it's attention and a couple of guys even thought it as a restored original! A lot more interesting bikes there than at the Century Cycles deal!
Rather than eat at Knowlwoods rather pedestrian food there is a new Indian place down the parking lot a bit. It's set up like most Chinese carryouts with buffet style pan set up, unless you want Tandoori Chicken, which they cook to order. Anyway I had some Chicken Korma and a spinach side dish with a  salad and Garlic Naan. It was quite good, I'm sure there will be more trips there!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #321 on: June 17, 2013, 06:48:57 pm
Hey, how does that Bonnie sound with the Arrow exhausts?  The Scrambler I heard with a 2 into 1 Arrow sounded absolutely fantastic.

The Arrow stuff sounds great. Too bad it's so damn expensive! It's available for the Guzzi, too, but $1100 or so is too much. The Staintune's sound even better at that price. THey sound just like a Norton Commando on the Guzzi!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

bikesnob

• Scooter
Reply #322 on: June 18, 2013, 06:35:30 pm
I love the Arrow Exhaust on the Bonnie and they sound pretty good, yes they are expensive, but hey, I'm Bikesnob.
Steve
2013 Bonniville T 100 (sold)
2010 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 BMW R1200GS
2017 Triumph Street Twin

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #323 on: June 22, 2013, 12:29:26 am
I went for a short run today up the 39 to the end, then East Fork to Glendora Mtn, Glendora Ridge to Mt Baldy, then down Mountain to the 210, 57 and home. 120 miles. The whole point of the ride was to hit the 2000 miles mark on the Goose. And to get some exercise for me and it. Or since last Friday, I've put over 700 miles on it. I think it's broken in! Average mileage 52.5. Best 59.8. Maintenance, other than changing oil and setting the valves, Nada!
Bare
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:24:55 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #324 on: June 24, 2013, 02:18:59 am
Rode home a stablemate for the bad boy bullet, a 2009 Aprilia Mana.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #325 on: June 24, 2013, 05:30:40 am
That mana looks like a sweet bike!  I saw that ad on cl before you posted it and I thought it was a good deal. I like to borrow my girlfriends twist and go scooter and I love how you just coast into a turn and then hammer the throttle through the curve  without worrying about what gear you're in.  I'll bet that aprilia is a blast!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #326 on: June 24, 2013, 06:03:55 am
That mana looks like a sweet bike!  I saw that ad on cl before you posted it and I thought it was a good deal. I like to borrow my girlfriends twist and go scooter and I love how you just coast into a turn and then hammer the throttle through the curve  without worrying about what gear you're in.  I'll bet that aprilia is a blast!

Its certainly definitely very different. Fast, smooth, and convenient. When I first began researching it I wondered if I would use the shifter paddles. I found the idea very intriguing but on the over two hour ride home I rode in the touring mode, not even the sport mode. There really is no need for those shifter paddles.  It handles very different than the bullet though. .....at speed it has a tendency to self correct a lean..... Its going to take some time getting used to it......and the fact that nobody is going to ever ask me if it s a full restoration.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #327 on: July 07, 2013, 11:39:25 pm
I sat here watching Formula  1 and IndyCar races as my bike has a broken spark plug boot and Saturday's promised delivery failed to materialize! I missed my choice of a Guzzi Club meeting at the Rock Store or a Norton Club ride up the Crest. Totally irritating!
What happened to the good old days when you could get a Sparky for 59 cents just about anywhere and be on your way? Now it seems that there are about 400 different spark plug caps on the market for about every different make and model of everything. then different spark plug sizes have to be considered. And there is still some stuff floating around out there with those gawd awful carbon wires!
Bare
I love life and life loves me.
I'm as happy as I can be.
A happier man nowhere exits.
I think I'll go and slash my wrists!
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Darvin Jahnke

• Scooter
Reply #328 on: July 08, 2013, 02:16:51 am
Replaced the plugs in one of the ironheads and took it for a short ride. Runs pretty good.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #329 on: July 08, 2013, 03:53:17 am
I feel your pain Bare  my bike was down for 3 weeks waiting on that damn crank seal.  Finally got the bike resembled today.  Got in a short ride back home and went back out a little later for a longer ride.  An hour into it I got this MASSIVE cramp in my inner right thigh.  I had to pull over in a Burger King like a mad man and jump off and throw it on the center stand and started dancIing like a crack head!  It hurt so bad, I had to relax for about 20 minutes before I could jump back on the bike.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King